The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Pearly72

PVC hose to???? (updated carb)

PREFACE: I checked for other threads, even on google for something of this nature. I couldn't find anything this specific.

Background: Puchased this 72 C10 2wd about a month ago. Seller said the 350 engine was rebuilt and from a 72 K10, then he put in a 700R4 auto (also rebuilt). They run well.

I'm tying up loose ends, because he had it driveable, but put this project to the side. He and his wife drove it every once in a while, but the truck really sat for a 2 to 3 yr period.

Just got it back from the mechanic to have the rear end rebuilt and ended up putting an Eaton posi in with the factory 3.73 gears.

SUBJECT: I saw the PCV hose just dangling and looked at the carb to see where it was supposed to be connected. Checked the PCV and the valve is good and clicking. I looked at the carburator and saw an outlet/inlet from the E-choke that is the same diameter of the PCV hose.

Just in case, I'm attaching a link to the pic.... I hope it works.

There is also a capped vacuum line at the base of the carb.

KICKER: I checked the serial number/code on the carb. I think this Carter Quadrajet came from a 76 or 77 Cadillac!!! So, I'm stuck!!

In deducing the size of the PCV hose and the fitting on the E-choke vacuum intake, one would think that I should just plug it in there and so-be-it.

But, the paranoid person in me doesn't want to foul my truck up and started thinking that maybe this carb was rebuilt (previous owner told me) and wasn't a match to the last one.

QUESTION: Would I foul things up if I plugged the PCV hose into the E-choke inlet valve? It is creating a pretty good vacuum, but I don't know if it needs its dedicated fresh air for the coils. Would I mess up the choke function if I did plug the hose into that? Also, the smaller capped vacuum line at the carb's base doesn't produce much vacuum and is a much smaller line than the PCV hose (not that I can't change it). I just don't want to cause any long term damage or sacrifice the function of my drivetrain.

I am going to attempt to paste a pic of what I'm dealing with. E-choke vac line is labeled "A" and capped vac line is labeled "B". At the risk of sounding dumb, I'm willing to take some technical lessons from people that know more than I and learn from the best. I would APPRECIATE the advise. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Pearly72; 09-11-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add link to photo, I don't see it.
Pearly72 is offline   Reply With Quote