The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #11
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
before doing the t/chain install, also grab some brake cleaner to get the old rubber parts cleaned up and silicone remnants removed. I usually would flush the area afterwards with some fresh solvent (varsol type stuff) and have a dedicated garden sprayer just for this job. it works great for diffs as well. leave the pan plug out and let'er rip-starting from the top of the t/cover gasket area and down (try not to dilute the lube on the front of the cam bearing area or any of the rod bearings if spraying in the oil pan area), that way the gasket surfaces are all clean. any old silicone pieces or dust/rag lint etc are flushed out. I also use a pump and spray hand held unit, with viton seals, for smaller solvent jobs and have a few in the shop. solvent, engine cleaner, brake cleaner (I buy bulk-5 gal pail of each of these items, waaay cheaper and you get a better control of the pressure and spray pattern desired with the pump up sprayer. link below but they should be around the $50-60 mark. I know, sounds pricey but they last forever and can be used for a bunch of different things). remember to blow out the threaded holes so you don't cause a hydraulic lock situation behind the bolts when you install.
again, if it was me I would pull the engine and find out what I have for bearing clearances and thread locker on the rod bolts etc. I totally understand if you don't feel like doing all that work at this point in the frustration curve.
like an old buddy in the shop used to say
"get'er done, button'er up and wipe'er down".
hopefully still having fun.

https://www.kmstools.com/1l-pump-pre...y-bottle-11985
Thanks for the tips DsRaven. You are a wealth of knowledge on this site and I really appreciate your input and suggestions. If the weather is not to bad this weekend I might be able to get some work done on the truck.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote