The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Desperado454

1968 Nova

With the model a roadworthy i figured it was time to exhume my old nova and give it a little love. Just a quick background, this is my first car, bought it when I was 14 and between the old man and myself we got it into respectable shape with some new quarter skins and a quick primer job because i was too impatient to see it through to a proper finish. Over the years its evolved into what you see, just always been a car I wanted to be as fast and loud as possible. Unfortunately the thing has just been sitting for a few years while I toiled away on the hot rod and when I finally got around to firing it up it for some summer cruising I noticed it had developed some sort of unpleasant knocking sound so decided to dig in and see what was going on. Bearings looked okay other than this rod bearing with a deep groove in it, not sure what happened there, but ended up putting all fresh ones in of course. After some further digging, I found the culprit, #7 piston developed some sour skirts and got pretty loose in its bore. So I tore the whole thing down, ordered a new piston, a set of rings, some new bearings and proceeded to clean up the block a little. Cylinders measured up pretty good, less than .002 taper all around so just gave them the ball hone treatment, and they cleaned up pretty good. Some pics of the car freshly exhumed and after it was placed in the garage
Attached Images

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote