The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

Mar-K bed angle strips

My 53 Chevy truck has an all new metal Mar-K bed, thanks to the previous owner. I purchased all new wood and stainless steel bed strip and angle strips last year, but haven't reached the point in the project where it gets installed.

Recently, I began looking at the metal sides and realized that the still in primer bed had the angle strips spot welded to the sides. I sent a note to Mar-K asking how they suggest removing the primer versions, so that I can use the stainless steel angle strips to match the ones between the wood planks.

The reply from Mar-K was to either drill out the spot welds or to grind them off. The decision on drilling versus grinding was to be based on how you intended to mount the new strips (bolted through the drilled out holes or welded back onto the bed sides.

Given that my welding skills are still in the novice class, I wasn't thinking of attempting to weld the new strips on for fear of creating a hole or waviness in the bed side. However, the thoughts of drilling through the bed sides and having bolts visible in front and behind the rear fenders doesn't sound so great either.

What has anyone else done?

Name:  Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 1.38.48 PM.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  52.9 KB

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote