The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 6.2L or 8.1L

Dunno why anybody would want an 8.1L
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Dunno why anybody would want an 8.1L
It's your fault I'm even considering this larry!! Lol. I am pretty much convinced to go 8.1 but figured I would consider the 6.2 since they are more plentiful and have a better aftermarket following. But their torque just isn't as much as the 8.1.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
It's your fault I'm even considering this larry!! Lol. I am pretty much convinced to go 8.1 but figured I would consider the 6.2 since they are more plentiful and have a better aftermarket following. But their torque just isn't as much as the 8.1.
You know, everybody keeps talking about the lack of aftermarket support for the 8.1L but in all reality, what does a person need from the aftermarket?? The engine management system is no different from a Gen III LS and a bone stock 8.1L running a decent tune will easily turn 400 HP and close to, if not more, than 500 lb. ft. of torque. I don’t think a lot of people realize a 400 HP big block “feels” more powerful than a windup 450 HP small block any day just because of the low RPM range where things happen. I personally don’t care for the small block Gen III LS engines that must whipped on all the way to 6000 RPM to get peak power of them. Spinning the hell out of an engine is not achieving useful power in a heavy truck in my opinion. A bone stock 8.1L is making over 355 lb. ft. of torque at 800 RPM straight from GM Powertrain’s product detail. Go look where a 6.2L is making that kind of torque. It will be at least 3,500 RPMs or higher....and if someone really wants to throw away money on aftermarket doodads, any older BBC header will fit the 8.1L and RayLar, CompCams and may many others offer an array of cams for them. I am partial to RayLar and run a RayLar 202 in my Burb. It honks well! It has a date for a Dyno Tune in late May to get the tune dialed in to compensate for the RayLary cam. Anxious to see how it turns out.

The best ,and worst thing, about the 8.1L is nobody knows a damn thing about them.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
GRADYS Performance

My vote would be for the 8.1L.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote