The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Want to do my own custom exhaust...

Does anybody have any experience expanding/bending the pipes? Need tips on how to best flare and expand the manifold ends on the Blazer, then expand the ends on the rest of the pipe to make the connections out to the rear. I don't have any tools for it, other than a hammer and dolly. Do I need to buy an expander, or is there another way to go about it? Thanks, Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Want to do my own custom exhaust...

I do my own exhausts...

Here is a thread from awhile back where we discussed this subject. I posted my opinions and pictures on that thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=135187
Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71cheyenne
Does anybody have any experience expanding/bending the pipes? Need tips on how to best flare and expand the manifold ends on the Blazer, then expand the ends on the rest of the pipe to make the connections out to the rear. I don't have any tools for it, other than a hammer and dolly. Do I need to buy an expander, or is there another way to go about it? Thanks, Jeff.

I'd say buy a kit from LMC or the like and it will come with all of the flares etc to make it work amd you just cut it to fit. SUMMIT sells a kit as well. I cannot see any way to do it at home without the bender, expander you'd find in a shop.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
I cannot see any way to do it at home without the bender, expander you'd find in a shop.
Read my post referenced above. A guy can do it himself (or herself). The tubing expanders are dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. Don't pay someone else to do something you can do yourself. DIY and save the money for other fun stuff.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Thanks Tx, thats just what I was looking for. One other question. I have stock 2" manifolds. Is it too much of a change to go from that to 2-1/2" exhaust? Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

I agree with the other guys that you ought to do it yourself.
If you have 2" manifolds, I think you ought to stay with a stock 2' or 2 1/4" exhaust because you probably won't realize any performance advantage from a 2 1/2". However, if 2 1/2" is what you want you can certainly do it.

I wanted a mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust for my truck, so it would match the header collectors and flow better given the mods to my engine. It is impossible to find anyone within a 100 miles of where I live that can do it.

After taking numerous measurements, I bought 2 - 2 1/2"x8' straights, 10 - 2 1/2" 45 degree elbows and 2 - 12" glasspacks from JC Whitney and a 2 1/2" H-Pipe from Jegs. I welded mine together but you can clamp it if you don't own a welder. It worked out really well and I'm glad I did it. It beats anything I could have had done locally.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
chevybill

I will vouch for old yeller about getting a mandrel system in northern MS.
I know several exhaust shops who give you the "what planet are you from?"
look when you ask if they can mandrel bend pipes.

Just for fun I called a local exhaust shop "so sterotypical exhaust shop" and inquired about a complete dual exhaust for my 78 vette. The guy flat out said he would not even attempt to bend pipes for a corvette. When I played stupid and asked about ordering a sysem his reply was "Well I'm guessing probably at least $1000 dollars just for the parts." This was from a former high school "football star" who had this business handed to him by his father in law. He is a joke as an exhaust tech and automotive professional.

Sorry to run on, but I love sharring this story.

Last edited by chevybill; 11-14-2005 at 10:06 PM.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Read my post referenced above. A guy can do it himself (or herself). The tubing expanders are dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. Don't pay someone else to do something you can do yourself. DIY and save the money for other fun stuff.

At the expense of sounding like an ass, LMC sells a stockish dual setup for 2-21/4" for $200, so why? If you had a monster, the mandrel bends yadda yadda would be warranted. Stock on stock why go big custom exhaust? I have built 3" with mandrel bends and it took a lot of time. Again not to be too good, because I love to build and work on my own chit like the next guy, but I am too busy and frankly get paid well enough that spending 2-3 days building a custom exhaust is not worth the expense of the time. Damn TX you are a friggin truck GOD, my question is why not quit firefighter work and build them for a living, you know ALOT?
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter

I'm not sure if I'm reading you right in your reply.

I build my own exhaust because it's cheaper and nicer than I can pay someone to do.

As far as building trucks...

I'm an A&P aircraft mechanic and an ASE Master Auto Tech. I've worked on stuff that flies, and drives both. I was Mr Goodwrench at the dealership, worked at independant shops, and then did the maintenance of over 800 Postal Service LLV's, mini vans, 1 ton, 2 ton, and 9 ton trucks in the main Ft Worth vehicle repair facility.

I got into this because I love working on stuff. Then, I hated it. Working on them for a living is work, not fun.

As a fireman, I work every third day, or 10 days a month. That leaves time for fun stuff like working on trucks, liberating women, and quelling riots.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter

Also, you can build an exhaust system for less than the shipping on the LMC exhaust would be.

Here's how I do it.....

...scrap metal pile at the local muffler shops. All day long, they cut off practically brand new, super high quality OEM exhausts and install all manner of cat-back type exhaust systems. Then, they throw away the stock stuff. Nowdays, stock exhaust stuff is uber high quality. You can piece the scraps together to make a killer exhaust for near free.

Besides, to me, this is a hobby. I like the trip, not the destination.