The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2002, 08:17 AM   #1
gabet40

Unhappy A day that was long coming

well ive finally agreed with all my family and friends, and am putting my truck aside until out of school and out of debt. as of now i have about $9000 invested into whats listed in my signature, and was planning on taking out a $6-7000 loan for paint, rear end, leather seats, disc brakes, new grill, billet column, and basically everything it would take to finish it.
but being already about $7000 debt, 21 years old, a full time student, and driving about 250 miles/week, i dont think gettin in debt over a classic truck is my best path to take right now. its just totally tying me down and keeping my checking account going check to check. i think ill just sand blast the rust off, store it, and finish it when im financially stable, exactly what my dads been tellin me to do for months. but shes still the love of my life and will be in show condition someday!

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:41 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

These old trucks get very expensive to rod or restore.....you have lots of time Take a break from the project, & get caught up with the needed things in your life, then get back into it when time/cash allows. Good luck......crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

If you can store her, your set. Your truck will wait patiently, just fire her up occasionally to keep your seals lubricated. Don't disappear from the board just cause your truck is going into storgage!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 10:57 AM   #4
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Good move I've had mine 16 yrs and its still on the back burner. Take your time and do it the way youe want it.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Yup. Wish I was 21 and know what I know, now. IF so, I probably wouldn't know everything I now know.

You have your whole life in front of you, and your education is a very important part of that life. I blew it off when I got out of the Air Force, in '71. Seems that my attitude was not in my best interest, but I couldn't see it and nobody could help me. So, I finally went back to college in the fall of '78, when the incoming freshmen were kids who started the first grade in September of '65, when I was starting college the first time. A job change in '80, that offered me an opportunity to supervise helped me have a future with a decent retirement, but at the expense of my education in an institute of higher learning.

To make a long story short, my job was eliminated in June, 01. All of the men who worked for me, and our department, were eliminated from the payroll. Even though we are all experienced in packaging and shipping, loading and unloading railcars and OTR trucks, can drive a fork lift with the best in the world, we are now in our early 50's to our mid-60's. We draw varying amounts of retirement pay, are looking forward to drawing our social security and some of us are working part-time or full-time jobs to supplement that retirement pay, in lieu of drawing SS (too young). So, your education CAN provide YOU with the financial means to circumvent all of this and create a secure financial environment for your hobbies, family and future. Good luck to you.

By the way, I'm 55, working part-time and my 3-year truck project is being driven while I wait to do some stuff my wife wants to do to the house (new floor coverings and a new, larger, deck). My goal now is to have it done by the spring of '05, when I will have been out of high school for 40 years. I never graduated from college, and I am not going to speculate about what could have been, had I done so. My retirement income pays my monthly expenses, so I consider myself very fortunate. My wife and I are working part time, just for gas and groceries....and maybe a little other fun stuff.

Again, good luck to you and any other young person who may be facing a similar situation.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote