The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2002, 07:29 PM   #1
72'BBGMCSGCC

Question restoration on my truck?

I was wondering if I should do a ground up resoration or leave the cab on the truck? Should I paint the firewall, it has the origional chalk markings on it? Should I have him take out the old calking around the drip rail or leave the origional calking alone? Should I paint the truck the same color or use the same color with metalic in it? I want to keep the value in my truck, but I want to do the job right. Thanks for everyones advice.
72'BBGMCSGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 08:07 PM   #2
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

All of those questions depend on what you want, and what you're capable of doing (or can afford).
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 08:15 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If you have the means/time/cash/ect...by all means yank the cab off. It is not much more work (or man hrs if you are farming it out) to do once everything else is off) and it wil give you a chance to inspect/repair/detail the frame properly.
As far as paint... go with what ever you want on it. Very few people care if it is 100% original or replicated to original, and normally it is only on the more rare trucks.
I would say however, that sticking with stock colors and schems ...or at least keeping it close, would probably net you more cash if/when you go to sell it. One shade off of the original is a whole lot better than the "I can't make up my mind" paint that ford has used on a car or two. (just an example)
As for the numbers on the firewall...this is debatable. If/when I am ever at that stage...I think I would replicate the numbers, and shoot clear over it. (I prefer base/clear...even though it was not original)
Either way around it, you need to figure who you are building this rig for. If it is for you...then do it to please yourself. Gather ideas and pick your favorite...or find what you think to be the 'ultimate' '72, and coppy it.
If you are building it just to sell...then the only thing to remember is you can not please all of the ppl all of the time.
That's my outlook on it...but what do i know...I'm cross breeding a luxo barge engine wioth a heavy duty (built in limited numbers) work truck and hoping for something fast.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

The one thing that is gonna bring you the most money when you decide to sell the truck is "Quality of the Work" that has been done ... i doubt the chalk marks on the firewall will bring more money if the rest of the truck isn't done with some degree of quality.

Decide what you are gonna do with the truck and then spend what you can afford. I know I would rather pay more money for an unpainted truck with nice mechanical qualities ... as opposed to paying more for a truck with shiney paint and shoddy mechanicals ....
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:11 PM   #5
72'BBGMCSGCC

Smile

I'm keeping the truck myself,and want to keep it origional.but if I ever have to sell it I want to get top dollar.Should I have him replace the calking around the drip rail. It's in good shape,but he says he always replaces it when he does a restoration.He told me the cost would be 5-$6,000 for all of the work and I've seen two of his jobs and they looked great.He said he would have to do the work around his other jobs and said it would take a while.He said 2 coats of paint and 6 coats of clearcoat.Some people have told me to leave the chalk markings and some not . and some have told me to leave the origional color and some not and some have told me to leave the cab on and some not,but I just want to do the right thing to keep the value in it,and to restore it the right way.Thank you for more suggestions.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:22 AM   #6
junkyardjohn

Question

BACK IN THE EARLY 60s AN UNCLE OF MINE WOULD BUY A NEW CHEVY WAGON EVERY TWO YEARS, & HE WOULD HAVE THESE HEAVY PLASTIC SEAT COVERS PUT ON OVER HIS BRAND NEW APHOLSTERY. BEING A CURIOS 6 OR 7 YEAR OLD , I ASKED HIM WHY HE DID THIS. HE EXPLAINED THAT AFTER 2 YEARS, JUST BEFORE TRADING IT IN, HE WOULD REMOVE THE COVERS AND HAVE BRAND NEW LOOKING SEATS FOR THE SECOND OWNER, THEREBY GETTING TOP DOLLAR FOR HIS TRADE IN. IT NEVER MADE SENSE TO ME, & I WAS JUST A LITTLE KID. LIFES TOO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT THE NEXT OWNER.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 02:28 AM   #7
Figment412

I think that you should have him replace the caulking, when I pulled mine out I noticed some rust under there that coulod have developed a problem in the future. Plus you might as well do it now and get it done instead of having to do it after she is painted.

1968 GMC short bed
1972 Cab
74 SB Chevy running gear
Figment412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:32 AM   #8
bigvinnie

if you wanna keep it original as you say, you can do a good restoration with the cab on.... take pix of the chalk markings so you can duplicate them... original means painting it the same color.., is this a rare high-option truck or what?

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 02:11 PM   #9
72'BBGMCSGCC

Hi BigVinnie, It's a 72' GMC Sierra Grande Custom Camper with 66,000 origional miles,3/4 with 402 BB, Turbo 400 AT,factory A/C,Dual Tanks,Etc.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:13 PM   #10
72'BBGMCSGCC

I forgot to say , I was born in Escondido