The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Rokcrln

LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

LFD's
4Door Tahoe Build

OK so after a few months of running thru different ideas for a new shop truck the wife and I have decided on building the Burb for this vehicle. I am looking for a vehicle for towing our car trailer to shows as well as picking up and dropping off customer vehicles. We also wanted something to haul more people when we head to the shows that are out of town. Right now I use Low Buck for this but being a SWB standard cab it is hard to fit all three of in their and it is a bit rough towing with the WB. I was looking into finding a dually frame and building a 4dr crew cab. But the amount of time and money to do that just did not make sense when we have a rust free 3/4ton Burb sitting in the shop getting a 4th door added to it right now. So after convincing my wife that it would look great and tow well when finished so gave me the go ahead to build and keep it. No I am not whipped but we make all our business plans together and since she has stated on several occasions that she hates Burbs I just figured it was not worth even going their. But after describing to her my vision on the build she came to like it and thru in a few ideas of her own that we will work into the build.

Well here is the basic (or not so basic as this may seem) build plan. It will start off as a stock 3/4ton Burb and I plan on keeping it 3/4ton for the better brakes and other stronger components. It will get a few body mods like the addition of a 4th door, 12-18" removed out of the rear end with out changing the WB of the Burb. It will also get a 68 front clip with a few LFD touches as well as new rear tail lights. We both agree that the stock Burb lights just don't flow very well and we want to smooth out the over all look of this Burb. Their was a member on this site (now removed for what ever reason) who put lights in his Burb out of a newer SUV of some sort but I can't remember what they were from. I am sure someone here has pic's or info on what they were so feel free to post the info up. We are also looking into grafting on a new roof skin that would be a few inches shorter than the high crowned Burb roof and maybe even have a power sunroof as well. I will look into the larger SUV's and Vans to see if I can't come up with a nice ribbed roof that has a more pleasing look to it. I feel this will give the Burb a slimmer look with out taking away from the classic look of these vehicles. We will also mold in the cowl, shave the fire wall, add front and rear A/C and newer seats out of a Tahoe or something. We want buckets in the front with a center consul, a second row bench and if room allows a third row seat that can pop in and out. I am planning on a Porter Built DropMember for the front and a custom notch out back so we can drop this thing down a foot or so. It will not be set up to lay frame but a few inches up from their all the same. This will require a step notch out back (the reason their may not be room for a 3dr row seat) and new inner fenders front and rear. I will probably on run 17or 18's so I can still get an "E" rated tire for towing but I need to look more into that before we stick to one size. I have a 22k mile 05 DOD 5.3 Vortec with a 4L60 AOD that will be the main power for this ride.

Well this should give a good over view of what we have in store for this ride. When it is all said and done or real close to being done then Low Buck will go on the market to make room for it's replacement. So if you are looking to get a good deal on a custom C10 start saving your penny's.

OK for starters this was a $1500 rust free 72 Burb with new body mounts, cleaned and painted frame, fully rebuilt barn doors (including latches, hinges and door slided) with 3/4ton running gear. So the first plan of attack was to do a 4dr conversion to it. I started off by marking and removing the section were the 4th door will go.

Then came the fun part! Trying to recreate the passenger side B pillar but for the drivers side. I started by cutting up a nice but rusted California cab in order to get the jamb's of the truck B post to use as the C post of the Burb. I used the passenger side truck B post for the back side of the Burb's B post. Then I used a few more pieces of the cab to start the rest of the door opening.

I have made alto of templates from the passenger side post to help with the construction of the new drivers side B post. It is not real hard but it is very time consuming to get it just right. If you have ever really looked at the factory B post on a Burb's passenger side you will see just how involved it is and let me tell you every little notch, crease and indention is their for a reason. If you do not put them all in you will pay for it as you build the door and have to change things around to get it all to work just right.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-31-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Then it was time to start making filler plates for the B post that would end up getting cut and sliced a few times as the post takes shape. I also added stiffener plates to the inside of the new post for the hinges just like the factory did.

I had to make a few of the sections to complete the door open up around the top of the door. Their were not any areas on the donor truck cab that would work and look stock so I pulled out my little sheet metal brake and started bending.

One other big difference is in the drivers side front of the B post were the front door latches. The strike needs to be sliced and diced to work with the new B post. The new B post is almost 1/2 as think as the stock B post in a Burb or truck so things need to change a bit. I just used the Passenger side strike as my template and built a new on but in reverse.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by 70cst; 12-31-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

So this gets us to the point of the rocker panel. Since their is not one out their that will just fit and weld in I had to take two regular truck rockers and start cutting them to fit. The rear of the rocker fits great but the front is another story. It requires alto more work then you would first think to get it all correct so their will be no problems with the door opening and scrapping on the rocker or worse binding up. So I cut the rocker a bit long and then starting removing pieces bit by bit until the main section fit correctly. Then I cut up a passenger side rocker just for the rear end of it were it rolls up to the truck B-post but in this case it will roll up to the front of the Burbs B-post. I still had to cut most of it away and then build a filler panel using a card board template I traced from the passenger side of the Burbs 3rd door. Then using my shrinker and stretcher I started forming this piece to fit.

Well this is were I have left off as far as fabrication goes. I will be back on it this weekend to finish up the complete door opening and get started on the door it self. For building the 4th door I will be using sections from a 3rd door, Burb passenger front door and a truck drivers side door. Then to finish it off I will re-use the stock Burb inner panel I cut out in the first step of this build and that will give it a stock look inside as well as the window regulator and door panel attachment points.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-31-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: LFD's 4dr Burb Build

Wow! Great work as always. I wish I had the courage to jump into something that ambitious!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 09-10-2008 at 04:55 PM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Hart_Rod

Can't wait to see it done. I wish I had the time (and energy, ) to do that to mine.

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Ackattack

Awesome.

I think my next build will probably be a burb for pulling, but I think I'm going to go with a diesel engine of some sorts. Don't think I'll go to the extreme effort that you are by making a 4th door......just don't have the time (or probably the skill) to tackle something like that.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

Kevin are you keeping the barn doors or switching to the tailgate? If you decide to do something similar to mine as far as the tail lights, let me know, I have a few ideas that might save you some time. Also, I know they make a passenger side 3rd door rocker. It looks pretty symmetrical, I wonder if it would have worked with less modifications.....I know, I know, it's a little late now........

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 09-10-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

I think you made a Wise Choice in keeping & Making the Burb into your Hauler

Signing on for the Ride...............

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Kevin are you keeping the barn doors or switching to the tailgate? If you decide to do something similar to mine as far as the tail lights, let me know, I have a few ideas that might save you some time. Also, I know they make a passenger side 3rd door rocker. It looks pretty symmetrical, I wonder if it would have worked with less modifications.....I know, I know, it's a little late now........
Yes I am keeping the barn doors but I will do some form of a truck tailgate that will split when the doors open. I like how yours turned out but I think I will use the stock skin off a gate so I get the upper indention as well as the Chevy script. Yes I know of the 3rd door rocker but if you remember the rear and front upward slopes are different widths and the front section has a small dog leg that lets the front edge of the door tuck in when it is opened. I will only have 2-4hrs into this rocker and it will look dead on stock down to the over lap and spot welds on the B-post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Awesome.

I think my next build will probably be a Burb for pulling, but I think I'm going to go with a diesel engine of some sorts. Don't think I'll go to the extreme effort that you are by making a 4th door......just don't have the time (or probably the skill) to tackle something like that.
I have the 5.3 sitting just collection dust but down the road I would love a 12V Cummins!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-10-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Wow... this is going to get interesting! Subscribed!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Awesome! I had the idea first though....meanie.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Me too!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Look'n good bro !!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Me 2

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #15
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Ok, I am excited and totally tuned in.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #16
Rokcrln

Dang you all are easy, just wait until the fun stuff starts. I have a great vision for the barn doors and rear corners now but you will have to stay tuned for more info! I even drew me up a little sketch today of what it will look like and me likes it

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-11-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
65ShortStep

OH You are such a TEASE!!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:48 AM   #18
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

this should be an interesting build. love watching your projects and workmanship. keep us posted!
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #19
Rokcrln

Well I just talked with Nate From PorterBuilt Street Rods today on my way home from work and found out about a new design he has comming out soon. After thinking about it for a few moments I decided the Burb would be a perfect platform for one. So as soon as Nate decides to give up the info we can figure out the best way to do a How-To artical to show just how it all goes

Another design up date is I have been looking into doing power windows and I think I have it all figured out just how to do it. Now I just need to see were the 6 switches will fit!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #20
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

I'll be watching this one too! Wish I would have had time to stop in & see the master at work! I was working in Corning for a few days & flew out of Sacremento yesterday. First time I had been out there. Now I know what heat w/o humidity is like... I wish I could of bottled up your air & brought it home

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #21
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
I'll be watching this one too! Wish I would have had time to stop in & see the master at work! I was working in Corning for a few days & flew out of Sacremento yesterday. First time I had been out there. Now I know what heat w/o humidity is like... I wish I could of bottled up your air & brought it home
Heck the last few days it has been cool out here (high 80's low 90's) last week we were 103+

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:19 AM   #22
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Another design up date is I have been looking into doing power windows and I think I have it all figured out just how to do it. Now I just need to see were the 6 switches will fit!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

6 Switches?
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #23
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Wow! You're going to make the rear side windows roll down................. .

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 09-13-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
You're going to make the rear side window roll down................. .
Yeh but I will have to put a big notch in the glass to fit around the inner tubs

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #25
Rokcrln

I only had a few hours this morning to work on the rocker. I have the upper section done and ready for final smoothing but I had to section the rocker and add a new lower half. It was about 1/4" to short so the ends did not line up with the body. I took a second rocker and ripped the the lower half off it and lined it up the the rocker bottom edge and made sure the side curves lined up with the body how it should be. Then I sliced through the two rockers and removed the bottom half of the top rocker and tacked the new lower into place. Sunday I will finish it up, prep it and weld it in so I can start on the door.

Kevin
LFD Inc.