The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
slepysal

Re: '64 chopped shorty

AHH yes the stock/modify debate!!
I have always thought " I'll build my truck/car the way I want, and you can build yours the way you want"
Thats what makes putting together a truck fun you can do what you want. LILRED 66 your truck is beutiful, I mean If I bought it like it is I wouldn't change a thing.
But when I bought my 60 it was just an old truck, so I built it for me my way.
Yes I get a lot of ," if I built it, I would have done this , or that" or "why are you running wire wheels" etc. But I didnt build it for them.
I grew up with lowriders,and can remeber when being "low amd Slow" was not widley accepted , now look.
Any ways it would be boring if we all built our trucks alike. When all is said and done you build your self a nice truck that makes YOU happy

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 12-09-2008 at 06:43 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
283 Man

Thumbs up Re: '64 chopped shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
AHH yes the stock/modify debate!!
I have always thought " I'll build my truck/car the way I want, and you can build yours the way you want"
Thats what makes putting together a truck fun you can do what you want. LILRED 66 your truck is beutiful, I mean If I bought it like it is I wouldn't change a thing.
But when I bought my 60 it was just an old truck, so I built it for me my way.
Yes I get a lot of ," if I built it, I would have done this , or that" or "why are you running wire wheels" etc. But I didnt build it for them.
I grew up with lowriders,and can remeber when being "low amd Slow" was widley accepted , now look.
Any ways it would be boring if we all built our trucks alike. When all is said and done you build your self a nice truck that makes YOU happy
I agree !!nicely said...
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #28
PrerunnerRob

I know I said my bit already, but this has been on my mind all day. This hobby NEEDS both sides in order to continue over time. Imagine if there was not any stock trucks to referance to? My hat goes off to anyone who restores their truck to any level, be it the just a quick correct re-paint to make it shiny, all the way to a concourse level. Without being able to see these works of perfection, you can't see how it was done in the past,
but....
My heart lies in taking what I see as a great start and updating it. I've restored quite a few pre-65 Volkswagens, but on top of that they always sat on the ground. I take more interest in seeing what can be accomplised while not getting attention right away. I like subtle mods, and I prefer someone NOT to notice what has been changed(within reason). Updated power plants, brakes, re-designing suspesion, and utilizing newer technology is even sweeter if you can hide it from the untrained eye.

If you ever need to remember why you started into this hobby at all, just remember what got you into it in the first place:it's supposed to be challenging and fun!
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #29
joe231

Preach On brother Rob!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #30
slepysal

very true Rob . My uncle had an old choped Merc, my dad couldnt understand why he would do that, and they would argue about it when ever the topic would come up.
But yes we need both or should I say all schools of thought from Bias plys to dubbs, restos to rats. One thing that I have alawys liked about this board is the lack of hatters, and the wide variaty of trucks
I give major props to ANY ONE who takes a truck and or car and fixes it up (or down), the part that kills me is the truck that rots in the field or on the back lot and never gets fixed , that to me is a waste.
CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ? I just couldnt resist that

Last edited by slepysal; 12-10-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #31
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

I know it will never happen, but it is just a thought. If GM engineers reproduced the same truck again they would put some current amenities in it even if they used the same body. It would have a LS2, PS, PB, tilt, cruise, PW, PL, lowered with a better suspension and so on. So I guess we are reengineering a 40+ year old design. I like stock and have had cars that remained stock. I wanted to do something different this time.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #32
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I would love the gm engineers to repop this year truck with ALL the design flaws fixed, and the new rustproof galvanized metal they use for a good measure.
They engineered some horrible drainige issues and pockets into this design.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #33
PrerunnerRob

Oh man, too funny!

[QUOTE=slepysal;.
CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ? I just couldnt resist that[/QUOTE]
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #34
Inverter

Truck looks good.Imo it needs a little more roof line to give it good semetry but Love the roll pan and the whole theme.
I found a couple chopped roofs that I find appealing. Not too little,not too much.

As far as the other subject: I dont attempt to build something unless I know I can do an acceptible job of it or pay someone to. Cant stand to see a hack job. I think the body lines on these old trucks are great,but need a little help here n there.I hate seeing fenderwell to sidewall gap too,cant explain it,I just do. I respect the oem look and the amount of attention it takes to restore one but at the end of the day I enjoy making a statement about who I am. A vehicle is an extension of that person.

Last edited by Inverter; 01-19-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Inverter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #35
scotts62
One day...

Cool! I like the blue one

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 AM   #36
Inverter

Yea,me too.It makes you look twice.

Last edited by Inverter; 01-19-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Inverter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #37
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I personally enjoy the challenge of finding NOS or good OEM parts to restore these trucks. Anyone that has seen my trucks or visited my shop and seen my inventory of good, used parts knows how difficult it is to locate these items.

Although I thoroughly enjoy this site, I see I am in the minority when it comes to choices/preferences. I owned and drove these trucks when I was a teenager and have loved them since, at the ripe old age of 43.

At the end of the day, I find it very rewarding, to pump the life back into an old barn find or a run-down daily driver and see it in its original glory days. I enjoy looking at all the builds and know it takes a great deal of knowledge, experience, confidence and money to build some of these projects, but I notice when I go to shows many of the trucks are relatively similar.

None of my projects have ever wowed anyone, except the preservationist-types, so maybe I need to lurk in the back-ground and cater to the builders looking for good, used OEM parts, needed to preserve their truck to original or near original specs.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #38
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post

Although I thoroughly enjoy this site, I see I am in the minority when it comes to choices/preferences.

None of my projects have ever wowed anyone, except the preservationist-types, so maybe I need to lurk in the back-ground and cater to the builders looking for good, used OEM parts, needed to preserve their truck to original or near original specs.
Tony, my hat's off to ya pal! If it weren't for people like you, in the future there would be no original style specimens left for younger generations to enjoy.

I, personally, have never desired an original, stock restored vehicle but I admire folks that build 'em. I think there is room enough for everyone on here
to share their projects/knowledge and express their preferences. That is what makes this board so awesome. There are people on here that range from stock style resto's all the way to radical modded beasts. I enjoy them all. I just try to build what is more practical to me.

As for your projects never wowing anyone, I must disagree with you. I was extremely impressed with your attention to detail on the 4x4 build that you posted and every pic that I have seen of your trucks are just awesome.

Like the old saying, "It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round".
Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #39
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Tony, I think that you offer a good point-counter point to this site, keep the posts coming.
I for one like all 3 kinds of these trucks, stock,mildcustom(lowered/paint/int.ect..), and the truly outrageous radical customs....
In a perfect world I waould have 1 of each!
I think all the different tastes and interests are what add the color to this site.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #40
TwoFiftyShifter

Tony I'm with you, except I'm a hater. Anything chopped is ugly IMO. I don't see the point at all and it looks terrible.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #41
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

I have been reading this thread since the start and must say everyone has had some great points. We need all the different syles of trucks and cars, from the clean and not a bolt out of place originals to the super sick pavement rubbers. all of these are not just personal favorites to each of us but it's a part of our history. if folks didn't think outside of the box in the past and try some different things we wouldn't have NASCAR, Formula 1, dirt tracks or any racing sports that we all enjoy today. Just my opinion.. I personally enjoy each and everyone of the rigs on this site. So keep making history, and think outside of the box if it calls you to.
Attached Images

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #42
19GMC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverter View Post
Truck looks good.Imo it needs a little more roof line to give it good semetry but Love the roll pan and the whole theme.
I found a couple chopped roofs that I find appealing. Not too little,not too much.

Agreed. Those are very appealing... plus it looks right because they are slammed..... stock ride height + radical chop =
The blue one is a photochop though, but still cool nonetheless.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #43
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Very refreshing to see different viewpoints expressed in a respectful fashion. Makes this board great.
I'm not a fan of the chopped look, but I am a fan of the attention to detail and craftsmanship this takes.
You build your truck, I'll build mine.
I hate it when people say, I would have done this,or I wouldn't have done this.
I tell 'em go buy your own truck and I'll save you a space at the next cruise-in.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #44
Joey~AP
TexasBowhunter

I would imagine from the post that I have read on this site.......

If we all met in 1 big parkin lot....with all our trucks....we could talk trucks for days and make friends for life!

Aint seen 1 truck on any of these pages that hasnt made me grin......cept for the ones in the fields and wreckin yards.

Build em if ya got em!

Last edited by Joey~AP; 01-19-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #45
Inverter

Hey Tony,
Dont Lurk in the back-ground,you dont have to agree w/what alot of us are doin.You shine in your own area of expertise and thats what its all about. Im subscribed to your stocker thread. I like seeing them w/the black painted wheels and white hub caps,although I would like to see one of those layin frame,,,but I cant help that.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #46
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

If we all did the same thing it wouldn't be as intersting as it is now. We need the diversity. I for one love all of the hard work and craftsmanship that goes into any well done ride no matter what it is. Just my .02
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #47
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
I .

Man your trucks wow me. I'll raise a glass to you and your work!
Dont lurk in the back ground ,it's been said before : we need ALL types of trucks ,from stock to choped . This is what keeps, or makes this fourm so cool the diffrent build aproches, and results. I know some people may not like what Ive done to my truck, and I am good with that.
Name:  60.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  46.6 KB

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #48
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey~AP View Post
I would imagine from the post that I have read on this site.......

If we all met in 1 big parkin lot....with all our trucks....we could talk trucks for days and make friends for life!

Aint seen 1 truck on any of these pages that hasnt made me grin......cept for the ones in the fields and wreckin yards.

Build em if ya got em!
You said it all right there Joey,,,Well done.
Name the parking lot I'm in, as long as it's in the South.

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #49
19GMC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dranch View Post
You said it all right there Joey,,,Well done.
Name the parking lot I'm in, as long as it's in the South.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote