The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2003, 02:35 AM   #26
kwmech

Been slowly gathering parts to convert my trucks to fuel injection anyway, not exactly stock, but the mileage almost doubles the fuel mileage and the power goes up with the right chip-- TBI really easy stuff to work with.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 04:12 AM   #27
Dropt72Shortbed

Re: SB 708

Quote:
Originally posted by ljbear
Here's the link to the actual legislation:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/s...ntroduced.html

Looks like it will be address again on or after March 25, 2003. Take a minute and contact your reps and let them know you don't agree with this legislation. Here's another link that will help find your reps and their email link:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

Larry
good info. i just shot off 10 emails.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #28
Stout72
Not my good side.

Here's some more fuel for the fire. California passed a regulation back in 1990 that was to require 10% of all new cars sold in the state by 2003 and afterward be "zero emission vehicles," or ZEVs. Over the years, I believe that got pared down to 5%. Only electric cars qualify as ZEVs.

There was, and still is, so much resistance from the automakers over the last decade, and very little improvement in the technology of batteries, etc, that California appears to be backing down on their stance. The California Air Resources Board is now encouraging fuel cell vehicles and gas-electric hybrids. It looks like California won't be requiring mandatory ZEV production.

Sure, we have a smog problem in California. ZEVs, hybrids, and now fuel cell-powered vehicles were supposed to help get a handle on making air quality better. Without an electric car mandate, it looks appealing to the State to regulate more older vehicles that may be more apt to fail emissions testing. They have to be thinking, "Yeah, let's get rid of those old smokers and charge them for it in the process." It's going to be even tougher now to beat this.

Write your Senators and Congressmen!!!
79 Yamaha XS1100 Special (Ol' Reliable)
Stout72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:15 PM   #29
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by Stout72

Write your Senators and Congressmen!!!
I sent off 10 emails two days ago to various senators and congressmen in California, I have yet to receive a reply from the little mice they have turning the wheels that punch out those automated responses. Makes you wonder why we even pay taxes?
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:47 PM   #30
Pops

I have also sent off E Mail's to our "elected representatives"and have not received any feedback. I have had my '73 thru a emissions only test station just to see if it would pass. He said it would pass easily untill he looks under the hood (no smog pump, fuel injection, etc).We have to just keep letting them know what our feelings are on this.

Last edited by Pops; 03-07-2003 at 08:46 PM.
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:33 PM   #31
Growdon

Thanks for the info. I kept hearing the rumors, but now it's crunch time. I sent the e-mails already. In my county we only have to smog upon the change of ownership. If this bill passes I will have my 71 (and only my 71) for a long time.

71 GMC Custom K2500, 3/4 ton 4x4. 350/350 ## Just bought, New Project
Growdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:33 PM   #32
Growdon

Thanks for the info. I kept hearing the rumors, but now it's crunch time. I sent the e-mails already. In my county we only have to smog upon the change of ownership. If this bill passes I will have my 71 (and only my 71) for a long time.

71 GMC Custom K2500, 3/4 ton 4x4. 350/350 ## Just bought, New Project
Growdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:56 PM   #33
Jeff M.

I sent Sen. Dean Florez who introduced the bill an E-mail last week. Still waiting for a response.........
Old 03-09-2003, 10:59 PM   #34
speesh

"California has huge budget problems, so they have time to worry about old cars?

Hollywood must run the legislature. I feel for you truck owners that live there when it comes to this crap. "

Thats exactly why they are doing it, for the money. Someone has to pay back all the money that Grey Skies Davis and his cronies from Enron and the other utilities companies ripped off..... Did you know most of them are still in the process of building new mansions, while we hard working taxpayers are paying off the bill? They are closing down our local community college, they already got rid of the welding classes but they were able to add some belly dancing classes!! Dang political correctness! Gotta be "culturally sensitive" Im surprised they aren't making them teach in Arabic so not to "offend "anyone

Anyway lets keep this on the top of the page, all us in California need to know it and write letters.... keep on writing, it cant hurt!!!
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:58 PM   #35
speesh

Anyone in California, go to this link http://www.congressweb.com/framesets/sema.htm
and write to your senator. I sent them this letter......

I am writing to protest the proposed legislation to repeal the rolling emissions test exemption for vehicles over 30 years old. I feel this is unneccessary and will cause unneeded hardship for many hobbyists. These vehicles originally came with little to no smog equipment, and enforcing inspections of what doesn't exist is no way to help our environment. I believe it is a way to try to get revenue from those of us who collect and enjoy these older vehicles. Most of them are not driven much, and are kept in tip top condition. The impact of this legislation will be minimal, and the cost to taxpayers will be excessive. Please vote against this ridiculous waste of time and money. There must be better ways to pay off the debts brought upon us by the mismanagement of our budget and the ripoffs of the energy companies. Thank you for your time.

The more letters they get the better!

I love my state but I sure don't love the government here.....
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote