The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
Mudduck72

unilight dist ?

Does anyone know anything about these distributers.I bought one used from i guy that ran it on a late model dirt track car i heard it run when it was pulled.What it was doing before i pulled it was backfiring as soon as i put it in gear and hit the gas but it would start and shut off just fine? it was timed right for the motor but there must be somthing inturnal to mess with I also got the big coil pack with it, any have a clue on what to do?
Old 03-12-2003, 01:04 AM   #2
beau396

Mallory unilites are proven distributors. I have has several myself. About the only thing that really goes wrong with them is the modules quit, but that would mean no spark at all. A couple of things come to mind. Are you using a ballast resistor? The voltage needs to be cut down from full to about 7-8v after the engine is running. Also make sure that the distributor advance is working. Next, you could have crossfiring if the wires are leaking or carbon tracking in the cap. Look under the hood at night for a nice fireworks display. Or you have the wrong firing order. But most likely you have the distributor timing off by a tooth (or two). The only thing else that comes to mind is a massive vacumn leak or a burnt intake or exhaust valve (which would explain the backfire). But I would think it is out of time by a tooth or two.
'67 C10 short box fleet side wood bed small rear window frame off restoration. 396BB,Th400, ps, pwr disc 5 lug, posi 3.07, 2000 Suburban 60/40 pwr seats, 2.5" front drop 4" rear, powder coated running gear.
beau396 is offline   Reply With Quote