The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
eat1sleep8blink2

looking for

hi im looking to get a new older car i am looking into 67-72 burbs because they look sweet and am wondering if people can post links to the history behind these and interesting reads about them. also i am needing to know what to look for when buying a burb like rust spots,opitions,things to stay away from. any help will be greatly apreciated.
eat1sleep8blink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Average Joe

Re: looking for

Not sure exactly when production started but I think it safe to say was at least in the 40's. Look for rust above the windshield, under the cowell, floor boards, rocker panels, kick panels and probably half a dozen other places that escape me at the moment. The 71-72 models have the desirable 5 lug and disk brakes. I believe rear air was also available on the '72 year not sure about '71. The thing to remember about these old 'Burbs as a daily driver is they love gasoline. I average around 12mpg with a tired 283 in my '67. My total commute to work is 5 miles roundtrip so fuel is not so much of an issue for me as to someone who drives 50. That said I still digg it and the kids go crazy when they get to ride in it or go camping.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the board!

So what do you want to do with your future burb? Custom, stock, or modernized? There are a few guys on here that have done all kinds of the above, so do a little search in the build areas and you should find em. Those guys may chime in here and provide a link to their build, from stock to totally creative fabrications.

IF you want to go original as posible like me, then try to find one that is as complete as possible. Finding certain parts are a real bear to find.

Rust of course is something to keep an eye out on all of these old trucks, and the burbs rust out in the usual door rocker areas just like the PU's.
Try to find one with rust free rear doors or hatch set up, since those are hard to find and not to easy to fix rust on. They can be found of course, but good ones bring a premium.

Here is a cool video of the burb timeline.

Last edited by vectorit; 08-03-2009 at 12:18 AM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
eat1sleep8blink2

ya ill try and customize it a little but no chop tops or 4th door for me. ill lower it and put stereo in it and just some things like that just trying to get all the info before i buy and great vid. and this will be a learning thing for me as its my frist classic car and im 16
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
budder71

... George

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-06-2009 at 12:05 AM.
budder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
eat1sleep8blink2

ya im still looking for one i check the classifides here and craigslist any other places to look for burbs. also i was just wondering is it possible to switch from a clam shell to barn doors i always thought barn doors looked way better.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
lutherb69

Yes you can a few members have done it on here.
lutherb69 is offline   Reply With Quote