The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #3226
fryco
Registered User
 
fryco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: somewhere,wi
Posts: 170
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Don't think the heap has the stones for the chutes!!!
fryco is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #3227
djracer
Registered User
 
djracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Wetumpka, Al, U.S.
Posts: 8,836
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Nice lookin truck. Have you run it at the track?
__________________
Kevin

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #3228
kirtzen
Registered User
 
kirtzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bellingham wa
Posts: 68
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryco View Post
I have more pictures coming soon (I hope). Their on my friends camera. Maybe over the weekend. No build thread, but maybe I'll start a after-the-fact thread. I have a bunch of build pics.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the tailgate. Big printed sticker, pin stripe(s), or airbrushing? It needs something or not, and i can't make up my mind.

I don't know. toss your 2cents at me.
My vote is a trucker girl done in pearl. I did a few on motor cycles. Its subtle but always got great reviews. Here is one over black.Name:  IMG_2030.JPG
Views: 2698
Size:  74.7 KB
kirtzen is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #3229
robby5323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 67
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryco View Post
Well, finally got the old heap out for its first(and last) run of the season. This was the first weekend of November and I live in Wisconsin. Season is over.

Its kinda dirty, and needs some finishing touches yet, but you get the idea........
I really like that color. Can you tell the the specifics on it...?
robby5323 is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #3230
KQQL IT
At the body shop.
 
KQQL IT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California for now...
Posts: 3,696
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks



Sweet ride
__________________
" That didnt make it any newer "
" Dont antique the equipment "
KQQL IT is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #3231
65Pickup
Registered User
 
65Pickup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver Island BC
Posts: 652
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryco View Post
Well, finally got the old heap out for its first(and last) run of the season. This was the first weekend of November and I live in Wisconsin. Season is over.

Its kinda dirty, and needs some finishing touches yet, but you get the idea........
Great truck, what are your engine specs?? It looks very sanitary. I also spotted your Wilwood master cylinder. How'd that work for you, no booster?? Disc or Drum brakes??? Thanks
__________________
65Pickup is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #3232
harold64
Registered User
 
harold64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ortonville michigan
Posts: 151
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

great looking truck! i have a long bed myself, you definily need something on the tail gate. how about your astor and suttle pin striping? agood stripper could bring it all together with a lot of class. just my 2cents
harold64 is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #3233
oem4me
Senior Member
 
oem4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Burbank CA
Posts: 2,619
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Pickup View Post
My question too...stain, paint ???? You are one lucky @#!!? what a beautiful truck, is it a short wide, custom??? More pics please. Why didn't it get used, family connection? Let's hear the story.
Ok, several of you have asked, so here is the story and finally some pictures of the whole truck.
The truck came off the Fremont, CA assembly line in the spring of '66 and headed for the state of Washington to do light duty as a secondary delivery vehicle on a family run berry farm. (not my family)
Typical farm abuse was not part of the picture here, as it was stored indoors since new, saw no rainy day work, and got careful maintenance.
This was the program, but for only a few years, when the owner was forced to give up driving due to health issues. Business was halted, equipment sold, and the truck was parked in the garage/barn.
Fast forward almost 40 years, and the truck is still there. 8700 miles on the clock and still totally original right down to the tires!
Occasional trips down the driveway and back had kept it operable, and heavy coats of wax had protected the paint so well that it had barely even oxidized!
The decision was made to let the truck go, so a family member prepped it for sale. The engine compartment was treated (unfortunately) to a high pressure wash, fluids were changed, a few clamps replaced, new fuel pump, fan belt, battery, and so on. The front bumper was freshened up with a rattle can, covering the few rock chips it had acquired some four decades earlier, and the rear bumper was brushed with a new coat of silver. It was listed on Ebay in December 2007.
Since purchasing the truck, most aftermarket maintenance items have been replaced with NOS parts, and of course, it got a thorough cleaning/detailing.
Cosmetic restoration was strictly limited to properly refinishing both bumpers. Original wheels and tires are set aside for safety reasons and a correct set of wheels with reproduction tires are installed. Caps are original.
As it sits today, it feels, smells, and drives like a new 1966 truck did, and is about as close to a time warp machine as any vehicle I have ever seen.
One can look closely at the build quality (or lack of, in some cases) of how these trucks were built. I can tell you that in general, today's higher quality restoration work is far superior to how they actually rolled off the line. These things were made to be used!
Thanks for your interest.
P.S. - These pictures are older, before repainting the bumpers and still wearing the original tires! - Enjoy
Attached Images
     

Last edited by oem4me; 11-20-2010 at 03:19 PM.
oem4me is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #3234
Vernski
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rathdrum, Idaho
Posts: 1,135
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Oem4me the condition of that truck is the best I've ever seen except a quality resto. Some guys are just lucky to find one like this these days....Vernski
Vernski is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #3235
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator
 
aerotruk63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal,Quebec
Posts: 6,054
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

What brand of tires came on the truck, any pictures from under the hood?
__________________
1963 Chevrolet Truck Literature
LINK: https://picasaweb.google.com/113840717762774560215

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #3236
fryco
Registered User
 
fryco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: somewhere,wi
Posts: 170
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

[QUOTE=djracer;4303641]Nice lookin truck. Have you run it at the track?

Well, I'll try to answer everybody's in one shot!

Nope, no track time... Hope to next spring-early summer....

The color is a 08 or 09 gm cosmic gray pearl effect, cover you a$$ when you pay for it!!!! (I think, its been a while)

The engine is a 396cid .030 gm 350 block, splayed main caps. 3.875 stroke, 13.5:1 Dart pro 1 heads, stainless valves w/titanium retainers. stud mounted roller rockers w/ stud griddles. electric water pump. Don't know the exact cam specs. (engine builders!!)its a solid roller .675" lift 260ish duration, super victor intake w/ wilson spacer and billet Dambest methanol carb. Everything in it is real good stuff. It makes 650hp and 590ftlbs. ....And yes, I burn alcohol on the street.... $2.50 per gal or$6.50 even with the alky fuel, I still get about 3.5mpg

Brakes: Are all Wilwood, 4 piston dyna-lites all the way around no booster. Fronts are the Chevelle kit (I have a Jim Meyer Racing tubular front end) Rears are a big bearing Ford kit on a Moser Fab9 housing.

As for the tail gate, i dunno... leaning towards pin-stripping.
fryco is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #3237
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly
 
fryer1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Backwoods
Posts: 1,307
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 son of a Gun View Post
Reno
Amazing how different, yet the same Reno looks today. I can tell exactly where that picture was taken. Very cool.
fryer1979 is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #3238
Strodder
Daring to be Different
 
Strodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hesperia, Ca
Posts: 4,472
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

oem4me, I have to know what you paid for it. You deserve the "Truck Of The Year" award.
__________________
Dennis
Check out my 65/73 Cheap Build Thread.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=327644
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT

Last edited by Strodder; 11-20-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Strodder is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #3239
65Pickup
Registered User
 
65Pickup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver Island BC
Posts: 652
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Ok, several of you have asked, so here is the story and finally some pictures of the whole truck.
The truck came off the Fremont, CA assembly line in the spring of '66 and headed for the state of Washington to do light duty as a secondary delivery vehicle on a family run berry farm. (not my family)
Typical farm abuse was not part of the picture here, as it was stored indoors since new, saw no rainy day work, and got careful maintenance.
This was the program, but for only a few years, when the owner was forced to give up driving due to health issues. Business was halted, equipment sold, and the truck was parked in the garage/barn.
Fast forward almost 40 years, and the truck is still there. 8700 miles on the clock and still totally original right down to the tires!
Occasional trips down the driveway and back had kept it operable, and heavy coats of wax had protected the paint so well that it had barely even oxidized!
The decision was made to let the truck go, so a family member prepped it for sale. The engine compartment was treated (unfortunately) to a high pressure wash, fluids were changed, a few clamps replaced, new fuel pump, fan belt, battery, and so on. The front bumper was freshened up with a rattle can, covering the few rock chips it had acquired some four decades earlier, and the rear bumper was brushed with a new coat of silver. It was listed on Ebay in December 2007.
Since purchasing the truck, most aftermarket maintenance items have been replaced with NOS parts, and of course, it got a thorough cleaning/detailing.
Cosmetic restoration was strictly limited to properly refinishing both bumpers. Original wheels and tires are set aside for safety reasons and a correct set of wheels with reproduction tires are installed. Caps are original.
As it sits today, it feels, smells, and drives like a new 1966 truck did, and is about as close to a time warp machine as any vehicle I have ever seen.
One can look closely at the build quality (or lack of, in some cases) of how these trucks were built. I can tell you that in general, today's higher quality restoration work is far superior to how they actually rolled off the line. These things were made to be used!
Thanks for your interest.
P.S. - These pictures are older, before repainting the bumpers and still wearing the original tires! - Enjoy

Sorry to make you write all that, but great back story...its always fun to hear, you may be fortunate to find this special truck, but the truck is lucky to have you. One this virginal needs kind treatment. Great work.

I'll put a pic of my Dart at the end, but will apologize to everyone for posting it on this site. Hope I don't get booted for the sin It was my Great Aunt's, she was the only ower, its got 50,000 miles though. I thought it was low til I saw your truck. I had to put the Rally Wheels on her, just needed the muscle car look.

Thanks again for sharing.
Attached Images
  
__________________
65Pickup is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #3240
65Pickup
Registered User
 
65Pickup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver Island BC
Posts: 652
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

[quote=fryco;4304977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
Nice lookin truck. Have you run it at the track?

Well, I'll try to answer everybody's in one shot!

Nope, no track time... Hope to next spring-early summer....

The color is a 08 or 09 gm cosmic gray pearl effect, cover you a$$ when you pay for it!!!! (I think, its been a while)

The engine is a 396cid .030 gm 350 block, splayed main caps. 3.875 stroke, 13.5:1 Dart pro 1 heads, stainless valves w/titanium retainers. stud mounted roller rockers w/ stud griddles. electric water pump. Don't know the exact cam specs. (engine builders!!)its a solid roller .675" lift 260ish duration, super victor intake w/ wilson spacer and billet Dambest methanol carb. Everything in it is real good stuff. It makes 650hp and 590ftlbs. ....And yes, I burn alcohol on the street.... $2.50 per gal or$6.50 even with the alky fuel, I still get about 3.5mpg

Brakes: Are all Wilwood, 4 piston dyna-lites all the way around no booster. Fronts are the Chevelle kit (I have a Jim Meyer Racing tubular front end) Rears are a big bearing Ford kit on a Moser Fab9 housing.

As for the tail gate, i dunno... leaning towards pin-stripping.
Thanks for the info, the valve covers looked thin, I thought it was a small block, great motor, awesome power. It looks like 15" wheels??? What diameter brake discs are they and how is the stopping power with no booster? I like the clean look on the firewall, I've been studying the Porter Built drop members so much, I forgot about the Jimmy Meyer cross member, what are the benefits/features of the Meyer cross member? Thanks and enjoy that alcohol swilling BBC. Later
__________________
65Pickup is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #3241
Rich 5150 69
Registered User
 
Rich 5150 69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Galt, Calif
Posts: 2,425
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Your not the only one with other projects,[IMG][/IMG]
soon to be 440/727
__________________
`64 C10 vortec 350/350/373 posi
`69 RS/SS 350/350/308
`37 Ford 406/350/324 traclock
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #3242
murdoc
Registered User
 
murdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: nampa, idaho
Posts: 303
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

are those both 68 darts? man, i'd kill for one of those.
murdoc is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #3243
hardwaa
Registered User
 
hardwaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: gilbert, az
Posts: 292
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Goodguys 2010 Scottdale,AZ
reflection from Meguiers semi-trailor
Looks like "Funhouse mirror"
Attached Images
 
hardwaa is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #3244
RollinKaos
Registered User
 
RollinKaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Littlerock, Ca
Posts: 72
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Here is Betty, she has a long way to go but is a kick in the azz to drive . My friend did the pinstripping. It was his 1st time, not too bad for a 1st shot. She has a CPP 3/5 drop with a front sway bar and an adjustable track bar. I havent put the disc brakes on yet.

When I brought her home and now
Attached Images
  
__________________
Betty :
'63 Fleetside Longbed
350 w/ 4 speed
CPP 3/5 drop with front sway bar.

Last edited by RollinKaos; 11-21-2010 at 09:18 PM.
RollinKaos is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #3245
65Pickup
Registered User
 
65Pickup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver Island BC
Posts: 652
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinKaos View Post
Here is Betty, she has a long way to go but is a kick in the azz to drive . My friend did the pinstripping. It was his 1st time, not too bad for a 1st shot. She has a CPP 3/5 drop with a front sway bar and an adjustable track bar. I havent put the disc brakes on yet.

When I brought her home and now
Great improvements, you'll have lots of fun with her, I love driving mine, makes any day better.
__________________
65Pickup is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #3246
Strodder
Daring to be Different
 
Strodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hesperia, Ca
Posts: 4,472
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinKaos View Post
Here is Betty, she has a long way to go but is a kick in the azz to drive . My friend did the pinstripping. It was his 1st time, not too bad for a 1st shot. She has a CPP 3/5 drop with a front sway bar and an adjustable track bar. I havent put the disc brakes on yet.

When I brought her home and now
From another guy in the High Desert.
__________________
Dennis
Check out my 65/73 Cheap Build Thread.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=327644
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #3247
Strodder
Daring to be Different
 
Strodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hesperia, Ca
Posts: 4,472
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

__________________
Dennis
Check out my 65/73 Cheap Build Thread.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=327644
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #3248
66redw/white
made in america
 
66redw/white's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: baton rouge la
Posts: 654
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

thats a transformation right there!
__________________
2005 gmc sierra- 4/6, t56, cammed 5.3. 4.10, big bars, and brakes.
sounds good

1964 c10-283 powerpack, 3 on the tree

2004 corvette- lowered, borla, tuned. slow

my old girl
1966 c10- 305v8, t-5 sold
66redw/white is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #3249
fryco
Registered User
 
fryco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: somewhere,wi
Posts: 170
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

[quote=65Pickup;4305615]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryco View Post

Thanks for the info, the valve covers looked thin, I thought it was a small block, great motor, awesome power. It looks like 15" wheels??? What diameter brake discs are they and how is the stopping power with no booster? I like the clean look on the firewall, I've been studying the Porter Built drop members so much, I forgot about the Jimmy Meyer cross member, what are the benefits/features of the Meyer cross member? Thanks and enjoy that alcohol swilling BBC. Later
The engine is a small block "350 block". Yes, it does sport 15" wheels with 13" rotors. The truck seems to stop great without a booster. The pedal has a way different feel than power brakes. Calipers are super tight against the wheels, but they fit (.25" wheel spacers). I went with the Jim Meyer front because it is a true bolt in for the truck. I bolted and welded mine. Benefits...... They're easy to deal with, down to earth people. The kit went in with ZERO issues, really nice fabrication work. It rides and drives great! The truck aligned very easy (standard charge) Really nice set of directions. I wasn't even aware of Porter Build at the time of ordering so I can't compare the two.....
fryco is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #3250
Hickup pickup
Registered User
 
Hickup pickup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gilbert , Az
Posts: 369
Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Goodguys Az 2010
Attached Images
  
__________________
2-20, 2-21 whatever it takes!
Hickup pickup is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com