The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Re: 496 to be DYNO'D!

I dyno here but it is a rear wheel dyno for harleys. I have a question on the AFR that is showing on the sheet. Is there a reason that its running so rich?? Or was that where they set it as it made the most power there, or ran cooler, Most will run in the 13.0 range to 13.5 and run cool to make the best power.. Not stirring the pot only asking. To me that seems too rich.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Vortecpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
I dyno here but it is a rear wheel dyno for harleys. I have a question on the AFR that is showing on the sheet. Is there a reason that its running so rich?? Or was that where they set it as it made the most power there, or ran cooler, Most will run in the 13.0 range to 13.5 and run cool to make the best power.. Not stirring the pot only asking. To me that seems too rich.
It was rich, ever here the saying "leavin a little in the bank"?
Vortecpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortecpro View Post
It was rich, ever here the saying "leavin a little in the bank"?
Yes I have, and we do.. LOL again just asking. I have been doing this stuff for twenty years now, we have a very good handle on it. But only looking at afr is just the starting point a 4 gas will tell you much more. Opens up many more doors for tuning. We have to be careful not to run them too rich as you will end up building carbon and that in the long run will led to other issues as we all know.

My Stroker LS ran the best at 13.2 under that the power fell off by a large amount. I could have run it leaner and it was making more power ( we did try several ranges,.. but in the dunes the heat from the leaner afr would ramp up my coolant temp. Different beast of course.. And yes what the engine wants is how it should be tuned, there is no "written in stone" afr range .
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote