The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #76
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic
 
red69ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lancaster, south carolina
Posts: 840
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
That looks real nice Dwayne!!!....how's it ride?
Thanks geoff, it's a 20 footer. The ride is not great, it has a bad angle on the rear shocks and some type of antique coilover that I have never seen, which I believe makes the rear to stiff(I'm sure it would be good if you were using the truck to haul stuff). I plan on doing shock relocaters and new shocks in the rear.... Heres a pic of the rear shock.
Attached Images
 
__________________
1969 CHEVELLE SS
1972 C10 ALMOST DAILY DRIVER
1968 C10 RUSTBUCKET (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #77
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic
 
red69ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lancaster, south carolina
Posts: 840
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

My trim rings come in today and I'm not very happy with the fit (they don't roll back close to the inner rim) . I ordered these off e-bay , I usually get them at the auto fair and have always been happy with them. I am just going to run them till I can find some better ones since returning them would be a pain.
Attached Images
   
__________________
1969 CHEVELLE SS
1972 C10 ALMOST DAILY DRIVER
1968 C10 RUSTBUCKET (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #78
VA72C10
VA72C10
 
VA72C10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 25,037
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Looks good from here! Athough I can see what you are saying....

On the ride...I'm sure the relocators and new shocks will make a dramatic difference...
__________________
Project "Keeper"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633367

Virginia/WV/MD/NC/DE/TN truck enthusiasts...let's get some meet/greets planned....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634297
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #79
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic
 
red69ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lancaster, south carolina
Posts: 840
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looks good from here! Athough I can see what you are saying....

On the ride...I'm sure the relocators and new shocks will make a dramatic difference...
thanks, the paint and body has its issues but I'll address that later.

I think they will too, but I might have to live with the rough ride till my wallet recovers. You ever seen a spring over the shock like that?
__________________
1969 CHEVELLE SS
1972 C10 ALMOST DAILY DRIVER
1968 C10 RUSTBUCKET (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #80
slomotion
Old Duffer
 
slomotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,308
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

"Coil overs" are real popular in the hot rod crowd. They combine two functions in the space just a little larger than the shock itself, allowing the spring and shock to be attached on one mount making a much cleaner looking rear end on something like a T Bucket. The state-of-the-art coil overs have a threaded collar on the bottom that allows the spring rate to be adjusted.
I'm thinking in your case, they are the over-load springs. If you put on a set of medium/heavy duty shocks I think your ride would change dramatically.
__________________
'68 Short C20 Flatbed Dually
w/ 292 4bbl, Langdon cast headers,
and WC T5 trans.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Everything I know, someone else told me.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"
Dr. Seuss
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #81
bMr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Auburn
Posts: 30
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Quote:
Originally Posted by red69ss View Post
The ride is not great, it has a bad angle on the rear shocks and some type of antique coilover that I have never seen, which I believe makes the rear to stiff(I'm sure it would be good if you were using the truck to haul stuff). I plan on doing shock relocaters and new shocks in the rear.... Heres a pic of the rear shock.
Monroe used to make a load-adjusting, coil-over shock like that for these trucks but I don't know if they are still available. My truck, which used to have a slide-in camper, is still fitted with them.

Given the likely age of the your shocks, the lower ride height (they look bottomed out), and the compromised angle, I'd guess that a simple relocation kit and just about any shock would be a considerable improvement.

Which drop springs are those?
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #82
VA72C10
VA72C10
 
VA72C10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 25,037
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

with both of the above. Look like overload springs and I see them all the time on farm trucks, camper trucks, and trucks that hauled a lot in general...

The shock relocator kit is 55 and good drop shocks can be had for 35 for a pair if you shop around so under 100 will dramatically improve your ride....

Or...there is a thread on making the shock relocators using the existing ones with slight modifications...
__________________
Project "Keeper"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633367

Virginia/WV/MD/NC/DE/TN truck enthusiasts...let's get some meet/greets planned....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634297
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #83
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic
 
red69ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lancaster, south carolina
Posts: 840
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
"Coil overs" are real popular in the hot rod crowd. They combine two functions in the space just a little larger than the shock itself, allowing the spring and shock to be attached on one mount making a much cleaner looking rear end on something like a T Bucket. The state-of-the-art coil overs have a threaded collar on the bottom that allows the spring rate to be adjusted.
I'm thinking in your case, they are the over-load springs. If you put on a set of medium/heavy duty shocks I think your ride would change dramatically.
thanks, I knew about coilovers I just never saw this classic version. I'm sure they would be good for hauling as overload springs but not so much for just a driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
Monroe used to make a load-adjusting, coil-over shock like that for these trucks but I don't know if they are still available. My truck, which used to have a slide-in camper, is still fitted with them.

Given the likely age of the your shocks, the lower ride height (they look bottomed out), and the compromised angle, I'd guess that a simple relocation kit and just about any shock would be a considerable improvement.

Which drop springs are those?
those are cpp 4 inch drop springs, I agree that relocaters and shocks should make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
with both of the above. Look like overload springs and I see them all the time on farm trucks, camper trucks, and trucks that hauled a lot in general...

The shock relocator kit is 55 and good drop shocks can be had for 35 for a pair if you shop around so under 100 will dramatically improve your ride....

Or...there is a thread on making the shock relocators using the existing ones with slight modifications...
Where can you get the drop shocks for $35 ? I saw the thread on adapting the original mounts and one on making new uppers out of 2 inch tubing and using the original lowers, I'm thinking about going that route.
__________________
1969 CHEVELLE SS
1972 C10 ALMOST DAILY DRIVER
1968 C10 RUSTBUCKET (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #84
VA72C10
VA72C10
 
VA72C10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 25,037
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

I'll get the part numbers later, but both the ones ridetech and ECE sell can be bought for about 1/2 to 1/3 the price by buying direct...although they won't have the brand stickers on them
__________________
Project "Keeper"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633367

Virginia/WV/MD/NC/DE/TN truck enthusiasts...let's get some meet/greets planned....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634297
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #85
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic
 
red69ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lancaster, south carolina
Posts: 840
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

I'm selling this truck so I'm posting some more pics of the truck for potential buyers. It is posted in the trucks for sale section.

The last two pics are of the front inner door bottums.
Attached Images
     
__________________
1969 CHEVELLE SS
1972 C10 ALMOST DAILY DRIVER
1968 C10 RUSTBUCKET (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #86
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic
 
red69ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lancaster, south carolina
Posts: 840
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

pics of the bed.
Attached Images
   
__________________
1969 CHEVELLE SS
1972 C10 ALMOST DAILY DRIVER
1968 C10 RUSTBUCKET (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #87
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!
 
gcburdic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 8,196
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Good luck with the sale Dwayne!
__________________
Geoff with a G
1968 Chevy C10 SWB The Mistress FOR SALE
1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban
Current Resto: 1966 Mustang-Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #88
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic
 
red69ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: lancaster, south carolina
Posts: 840
Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Thanks Geoff, I hate to sale it but I have other more important projects going on.
__________________
1969 CHEVELLE SS
1972 C10 ALMOST DAILY DRIVER
1968 C10 RUSTBUCKET (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE)
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com