The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
brap999

T5 reassembly question

I'm trying to get my tail housing back on my T5 and for some reason it's hanging up with about a half inch to go.

This isn't the first time I've had this tail housing on and off, but I've never had it hang up like this, and I'm at a loss as to what it is.

I had it all together, but like an idiot I forgot to put the offset lever on before putting the tail housing back on, so I had to pull it all apart to get the offset lever on, and now I can't get the tail housing to mate to the main housing.

Has anyone encountered this before and have any tips or tricks?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the shift rod having gotten out of position. I had it in neutral when I disassembled everything.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
brap999

Re: T5 reassembly question

After nearly 8 hours fighting the T5 tail housing, I finally figured out what was wrong. I found a thread on another site where a guy said he gave the fifth gear assembly a light smack towards the driver side of the transmission and it all popped into place.

I tried this but with no luck, and am not comfortable hitting on the transmission too hard even with a rubber mallet.

So I started playing with the shaft on the on the opposite side of 5th gear and connects to 5th gear, and discovered it was pushed in towards the front of the transmission. This was causing the 5th gear assembly to lock into a funny position. I pulled back on shaft (pulling the shaft towards the rear of the transmission) and it all freed up.

Once I tried putting the tail housing back on everything went smooth!

Apparently it puts fifth gear into a weird position causing it to hit the side of the tail housing. This needs to be all freed up in order for everything to fall into place.

I hope this helps others with this problem who might find this thread in the future. There isn't a lot of posts about it on the internet.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Thanks for the heads up. I have worked on a few T-5,s & they can get frustrating at times. Onece I drove the new pin in the shift selecter that came in the o-haul kit. It would not go in all the way. The shift shaft was locked up. Then I realized i had not removed the old pin. I had to cut the shaft to get it apart.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
brap999

Ha! I know that can be frustrating, it's one of those 'smack your head' type moments when you realize what you just did

I have had too many of those to even count these days
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ