The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Jyman

Paint???

Ok I have been looking for a while and I just can't seem to find the answer. How much paint is needed to paint a AD truck, BC/CC ? looking to paint my truck this winter and would really like to know how much to paint to plan for. Is there some kind of formula I can use to estimate how much I need, or can painter here tell me how much I will need.

2000 Chevy Extreme lowrider, 4.3, NV3500, 3.08 rear, upgraded/modded

2001 GMC Sonoma Zr2, 4.3, NV3500, Stock
Jyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Paint???

Enough to make it run and cut the drips off the rockers with a razor, just kidding. BTTT to see the correct responses
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Rude Dude

Been asked before on this site different forum

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404218
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
mknittle

It happens EVERY time someone posts a link to another thread I get lost for an hour!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
OKGMC4

I read the post and you might get away with a 73-87 truck for 1 gallon of paint but If you do these older trucks inside and out it will take more. I used Summit Racing paint and clear on my 56...3 gallons of 2K primer (seems like alot but there was alot of block sanding and respraying), 2 gallons of Hugger orange (really need another quart for boo boos but I'm being lazy), and 2.5 gallons of clear. I did 3 coats on base and 4 coats on clear. Thats inside and out. My truck had around 19-20 parts that had to be sprayed when broken down. If I had known I would probably have gone more clear and cut it to 2000 instead of 800 grit before buffing. For a first paint job I'm proud but I know where every single annoying screw up is.
Attached Images

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Jyman

ya I had see that post before and to me one gal just does not seem like enough. I am doing a bright yellow inside and outside the cab, as well as in the box. I know I am looking at about 4-5 coats of clear because I want a deep look, some will say its a little over kill. but since your laying it down the first time why not take the extra time and put a little more protection on.

Thank you OKGMC4 for giving me a realistic idea on how much I will need, and I like the color you picked.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
D-man313

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
It happens EVERY time someone posts a link to another thread I get lost for an hour!
Your not the only one! I always find a link in the original linked thread and go to that thread for a while!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
mr48chev

There are a lot of variables. Years ago I watched a guy paint a car with a quart of paint and get three good coats of paint on it. I've also watched guys paint similar vehicles and go through two gallons of paint plus all of the extra materials.

I think OKGMC4 hit it pretty close though. What he said he used has to be pretty close to the average these days.

One thing. If you buy more than one can of a color no matter what the size of the cans mix all of the cans of that color together and them pour them back into their original cans so you always have the exact same shade of paint and one can isn't a frog hair off from the other. That is especially true if you paint the truck in stages like a lot of us end up doing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Jyman

Ya I will be getting my paint all at the same time, and painting the truck in stages. I don't have enough room in the garage to paint everything all at once.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There are a lot of variables..
like the biggest is the color. Black covers in 2 coats. Bright colors like yellow are transparent and need a base coat of white or off white depending on what shade you want the yellow to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyman View Post
I am doing a bright yellow inside and outside the cab, as well as in the box. .
you are going to need more paint than the average paint job. Because yellow is transparent. Now the fun part is, your guna have to paint some pieces with different shades of white underneath to see what shade of yellow you want. Corvette yellow? Off white. Lemon yellow, straight white toner. Mustang yellow, an off white almost tan under coat.
Quote:
I know I am looking at about 4-5 coats of clear because I want a deep look, some will say its a little over kill. .
it is over kill. There is no “deep” look. You’re spraying yellow. Single stage or base clear its yellow you can’t tell a difference. Spray the paint, let it dry sand and buff. That is where your “deep” look comes from, the final buffed and waxed product.
Quote:
since your laying it down the first time why not take the extra time and put a little more protection on..
what is extra protection? That’s called wax. Two coats of clear that’s all you need with today’s high build clears. If you paint and know how to cut and buff your fine. You are spraying yellow, orange peel doesn’t show up like black. If you’re not a good cutter/buffer 3 coats is fine, but the overall product needs not to be too thick. There are certain MILs limits that will induce paint failure/cracking over time.
Finally your spray guns make all the difference in the world of what a “coat” is. You can have a very light spraying gun and it might need 4 “coats” to make an actual one “full wet coat” of clear.
Yellow is a great color, but if you don’t know what white you are going to spray under it, you have to figure that out first. The under coat will affect your final color.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
bk2life
Account Suspended

1 medium coat, followed by 2 wet coats. sanded with 1000/1200/1500 buffed. there is no wax on this car in this pic.

i have plenty more pics of other paint jobs if you want to see more..
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #12
Jyman

Thank you bk2life, for the information, of course I want a GM color on a GM product, I am going with a corvette yellow. My only concern with two coats of clear is how well it will hold up here in the great white north with the snow/ice. and most of the time the roads are not like the roads you have down there, the great city of edmonton does not clean the road at all in the summers. and I know my bike and my lowrider both gets lots of rocks bouncing off them every summer.

would love to see more pics

Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thank you bk2life, for the information, of course I want a GM color on a GM product, I am going with a corvette yellow..
you can put 3-4 coats of clear on it, if you sand and buff it you’ll be cutting a good coat off. (factory paint jobs don’t have 3-4 coats fyi) Just ask the paint store/supplier what white to use underneath. GM color code for corvette yellow is just that, yellow. They don’t tell you anything about underneath of it. That’s where the painter and the customer decide what they want. I’ve painted several bright yellow bikes/cars/trucks etc and even though I can use the same yellow, itll be different shades depending what’s underneath.

Quote:
would love to see more pics
www.ifitsgotwheels.com is my website, lots of pics of past jobs. www.ifitsgotwheels.com/pictures has build pic folders.
I am not sure the rules on this board if I can post my website link, and if I’m not allowed please let me know and I can PM or we can talk offline.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
coralhead

I've used a gallon and a half on mine. One gallon of black and a half gallon of beige.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Iceman_70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2life View Post

1 medium coat, followed by 2 wet coats. sanded with 1000/1200/1500 buffed. there is no wax on this car in this pic.

i have plenty more pics of other paint jobs if you want to see more..
Do you still know what color you used here ?
I would like to paint mine like this, ..., and I think it's pretty close ...
Iceman_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
mknittle

Quote:
ya I had see that post before and to me one gal just does not seem like enough. I am doing a bright yellow inside and outside the cab, as well as in the box. I know I am looking at about 4-5 coats of clear because I want a deep look, some will say its a little over kill. but since your laying it down the first time why not take the extra time and put a little more protection on.

Thank you OKGMC4 for giving me a realistic idea on how much I will need, and I like the color you picked.
Bright yellow seems to take more paint.I think the pigments make it more opaque.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Kid

nobody asked what type of paint gun your gonna use.
Old school Binks model 7, newer type HVLP?, or compliant version? Will make a diff.
Inside (interior, jambs, inner bed, firewall, etc..)& out?
best to get a little too much, rather than not enough. Alot of other good tips already mentioned too.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Jyman

sorry I forgot to mention I have a HVLP gun, cant remember what kind. And I am looking at door jams, inner bed, firewall, ect... everything is going to be yellow.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
OrrieG

While researching colors the system (DuPont/Nason) my paint shop uses came up with the recommended primer and sealer colors/tones for the different base colors. He also recommended maximum 3 coats clear, based on his experience (old guy) and the pros he supplies; any more and you are more prone to cracking over time, especially in a climate where 40+ degree temperature changes in a 24 hour period are not that uncommon.

So far I have used 1 gallon of etch primer, 1.25 gallons of sanding primer (and will use the remaining 3 quarts), 1 quart of sealer, 1 quart of base and 1 quart of clear for the cab interior and misc pieces. I plan on 1 gallon on sealer, 1.5 gallons of base and 1.5 gallon of clear for the rest of the truck exterior. I also used a gallon of chassis satin black single stage for the frame, firewall and inner fenders, and misc. parts. 4 cans rattle can under coating over primer for the inside of fenders and bottom of the cab.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #20
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_70 View Post
Do you still know what color you used here ?
I would like to paint mine like this, ..., and I think it's pretty close ...
yes the kolor is House of Kolor True Blue Pearl. and from the pic you posted of that truck it is compleltey diferent.

but the blue on the camaro is alot nicer, iin my opinion of course.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
lowdownstar
big guy

I am no paint or body man but if it was me i would make sure i had enough so if i needed it again down the road i would still have enough paint to fix it with out trying to match it later. Matching paint sucks..... good luck with your paint job can't wait to see it done.

Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
_Ogre

okgmc hit it pretty well with the exception that yellow really needs 4 coats of color
we light gray primer, you can use white too. what ever you choose be consistent with your primer and number of coats
i didn't keep track of the amount of primer or clear, it just came from stock (and was donated/traded for work)
i do know that we only have 2 coats of clear on most of truk, some parts have 3 coats
all i can say is i used a lot of it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
yes the kolor is House of Kolor True Blue Pearl. and from the pic you posted of that truck it is compleltey diferent.

but the blue on the camaro is alot nicer, iin my opinion of course.
Daytona Blue is close to that color too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #24
OKGMC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
okgmc hit it pretty well with the exception that yellow really needs 4 coats of color
we light gray primer, you can use white too. what ever you choose be consistent with your primer and number of coats
i didn't keep track of the amount of primer or clear, it just came from stock (and was donated/traded for work)
i do know that we only have 2 coats of clear on most of truk, some parts have 3 coats
all i can say is i used a lot of it
Thanks. I thought it would be better to err on the side of generosity rather than spread it too thin. I'm sure a paint job can be done in a couple thin coats but we're not all professional painters here. I had to learn how to lay down enough to cover but not thick enough to run. If you get in a hurry it'll happen repeatedly. If someone has to ask "how much paint?" that probably means they don't know a whole lot about how to properly wet sand and buff either. I know a little more now than I did before, and I'm sure the next one will look better still. I might even get the hang of it after a dozen or so...

Does anyone actually use a suction paint gun anymore? I thought HVLP was the only way to go anymore.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #25
tinyjaime

I called Summit Racing and here is what they quoted me because I was going for a bright yellow. They call it Go Bananas. I have a 1956 Chevy 3100 stepside short bed. I explained to him that I was doing the cab in and out, the bed in and out except for the floor since it will be wood, inside the hood, Inner fenders, and fire wall. Here is what he quoted me just to give you an idea.

1 each of Paint, 2.1 VOC, Primer Sealer Hardener, Fast Dry, 1 qt., price each $21.95 part # SUM-LVSH625Q

1 each of Paint, 2.1 Low VOC, Primer Sealer, Flat White, 1 Gallon, price each $53.95 part # SUM-LVSP422G

1 each of Paint, 2-Stage, Base Coat, Urethane, Go Bananas, 1 Gallon, price each $186.95 part # SUM-SWBC515-12

1 each of Paint Reducer, 2-Stage, 1 Gallon, Use Between 60-70 Degrees F, price each $39.95 part # SUM-SWBR565G-12

1 each of Paint, 2-Stage, Low 2.1 VOC, Gloss Clear, 1-Gallon, price each $72.95 part # SUM-SWSC620G-12

1 each of Clear Coat Hardener, 2-Stage, Medium, 1/2 Pint, price each $12.95 part # SUM-SWSH612P-12

1 each of Clear Coat Hardener, 2-Stage, 2.1 VOC, Medium, 1 Quart, price each $28.95 part # SUM-SWSH622Q-12

Part Subtotal$417.65

Notes:
Shipping restrictions may apply on these parts.
If you purchase these parts, your order can only be shipped by ground

I also checked with two local paint suppliers and with the paint department at NAPA. TCP and Smart Shopper are good internet resources.

I am not quoting prices and I am not sure which vendor I am going with however it will probably with the internet company since its a lot cheaper than local paint shops.

I guess what they told me was I needed one gallon and will be reduced down to make two gallons and i do not think your truck is much bigger than mine. Its pretty ovious I know nothing about paint thats why I am having a friend do it. Hope this helps.
tinyjaime is offline   Reply With Quote