The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
ROAD DOG
Top of the foodchain

How to stop wheel hop

Question:

I have a 1970 K-10 4x4. Lately I.ve had a lead foot around town.
Some burnouts go real smooth. But sometimes I get a Really bad Rear wheel hop that shakes the rear of the truck up and down.
It makes for a lame burnout cuz I have to stop. Fearing Snapping my driveshaft or pulling teeth from my ring and pinion. What causes this and what is a good fix. this is a 4x4 so low hanging tracktion bars is a lame option!

Smell the Magic!
ROAD DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
rodnok1

Wheel hop can be caused by numerous things. Weak springs and bad shocks are high on the list. Have you lifted your truck or have aftermarket springs on it? Do you have posi or is it one wheel hopping? Tires can also affet a good burnout, I generally raise my air pressure a little to assist in burnout. Do you have an auto or manual trans, if you are power braking an auto it may be preloading the suspension and making it worse. If you REALLY wanna do great burnout get a line lock (auto trans) that way you don't preload the rear suspension and it'll fry until you let go, provided your motor can do the job. There are also traction/friction bars that don't hang down very far. This is one area where having trailing arms/coils helps this from happening. Good luck and keep frying em

64 Panel 1/2 Ton
350cubes/400hp
BorgWarner t-10
3:73 Auburn Posi
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
ROAD DOG
Top of the foodchain

Right on, good info. I.m guessin all of the above. The leaf springs
are original. shocks who knows how old. GM 12 bolt with 3.07 gears and open diff. So one wheel hoppin.And tires are 31" general mudders with 50% tread. I built a 400 ft.lb torquer 355 but now am moving on to the rest of the truck.

Smell the Magic!
Old 10-30-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
68LSS1

I disagree. Wheel hop is caused and only caused by a pinion angle problem. Any suspension lift? If so there's your problem. If the springs are so shot that the differential is turning up on hard acceleration then that could be a cause (but the angle is what's causing it). Shocks won't matter.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:29 PM   #5
rodnok1

You are confused, axle wrap is when the pinion angle changes as a result of spring's bending and also resulting in wheel hop. Axle wrap is how you break parts like u joints and driveshafts or tear up pinion bearings. Pinion angle is critical and should be maintained at the appropriate angle to prevent breaking parts. Eliminating axle wrap (springs bending in an s shape) eliminates wheel hop and helps to keep the pinion at the correct angle. Inm the case of leaf springs it is common to even just add another leaf the the right rear spring,or half a spring on the frt have of the pack to beef it up, that's how you keep it lloking like a stocker while you rip em a new one off the line.

64 Panel 1/2 Ton
350cubes/400hp
BorgWarner t-10
3:73 Auburn Posi
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 PM   #6
ROAD DOG
Top of the foodchain

I've moved a couple of friends with the truck and the springs didn't seem to sag . Two weeks ago I heavy footed it and snaped the Pinion yoke. At the u-joint. Talk about turning some heads!!!
Luckly I found one at the slvage yard for $5.

Smell the Magic!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:25 PM   #7
68LSS1

Disagree again. Depending on power output sometimes you have to dial in more/less pinion angle to maintain the correct geometry (that's the purpose of a 4 link or using traction bars which keeps the springs from wrapping). If the pinion angle wasn't changing there would be no wheel hop. If they never changed no one would have wheel hop. But they do. Wheel hop is possible in any type of suspension. Like I previously stated wheel hop is the result of the pinion angle geometry changing. What caused the pinion angle to change? If the springs are wrapping up then that will cause the pinion angle to change. But the pinion angle changing CAUSES wheel hop. Most 4 X 4's have excessive pinion angles to start with. Adding suspension lifts only amplifies this. Some of the better kits will try to correct for this. Most people with 4 X 4's aren't concerned with these "traction" issues. We have a special individual here. Also traction bars only try to prevent the problem, they do not cure it.
I agree with the spring wrapping theory but this is a result of acceleration. The result of the pinion angle changing is whel hop. And tires nor shocks will affect wheel hop.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:54 PM   #8
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Ok ok...
68LSS1: Your first post was worded kind of funny. I think that is why RODNOK1, disagreed with you.
Now I don't want to join into this and sound like a 'know it all'
Your both right! The pinion angle does change, the spring does wrap!
The bouncing of your tire is when the pinion is changing (the yoke of your axle is rotating upward). Your springs are wrapping then 'unloading', causing the bouncing. Your tires are 'getting traction, then slipping, then traction, then slipping' which makes it bounce.
Installing a lift block between your axle and leaf pack creates more leverage, making spring wrap even worse.
"But the pinion angle changing CAUSES wheel hop." Having a funky pinion ange is not the initial cause of axle hop/spring wrap. But, it IS a result of axle hop/spring wrap.
ROAD DOG: You said that you didn't want the big low-hanging 'ladder' bars. Have you see the ones that mount above the axle tube =no hang. You may also know that a traction bar can hinder suspension travel sometimes (not a lot, but just a little). Suspension travel can be helped by using a longer bar. I have also seen a typical suspension shock absorber mounted just like a traction bar. The shock can move in and out letting the suspension cycle like normal, but help against the fast movement of the springs wrapping.

The ladder style bars don't hinder suspension travel because you are able to mount them to your frame with a shackle. THe shackle moves, letting your axle move up and down as normal, but does not allow your pinion angle to change/your springs to wrap.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:22 AM   #9
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Attached Images

Old 10-31-2003, 01:52 AM   #10
68LSS1

Edited for: I know a lot of suspension companies say otherwise from what I'm saying. And with leaf springs, usually strengthening them by ladder/traction bars helps the issue. Sorry to steal your thread Road Dog. Check some other things out first. How's the tranny mount? Tight and secure? Engine mounts too? Check the pinion angles. Maybe you need a couple degree shims. U bolts tight? If all that's good then start checking the suspension/springs for what is causing the deflection. Earlier post is correct about comig up with something to stiffen springs such as a ladder bar set up. I don't know how much 4 wheeling you do but you may have to fabricate your own so as not to limit your suspension travel when you are out in the woods. Could always carry around a jug of water or bleach.

Last edited by 68LSS1; 10-31-2003 at 04:59 AM.
68LSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #11
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

"Could always carry around a jug of water or bleach."

LOL