The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #51
Low Elco

Re: 'Wintergreen' 1969 GMC Build

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see how it comes out! You Know, you're handy with a welder, trailing arms ain't hard to make. There are instructions on here, lots of guys have done it. Give it a whack!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #52
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
IF you wanted additional rocker clearance height and a traditional look, GM Performance parts makes an LT to Gen I valve cover conversion. You may have seen those. It's a perimeter with 4 bolt holes, and the center attachment that the Vortec heads have. There may be a Gen I style that's compatible with the FI intake. I can envision a few that would be cool in green!

That looks slick as a whistle like it sits, now, though!

Unfortunately, the LT1 present problems when installing aftermarket Valve covers. The front of one of them (can't remember which one off the top of my head) needs to be notched in order to clear the alternator. So even though they look like the standard issue GM centerbolt valve covers, they aren't. There are a few aftermarket options, but relatively expensive, and I'm happy with the way it looks as is. Plus, I already have a sparkplug wire management system to work with the centerbolts. Once I add those (brushed aluminum), the fuel rails, and a few other aluminum part, I think it'll really look clean.

Do you think that black is the right colour for the harmonic balancer? I can't decide. It looks good the way it is, but would it look better in silver (aluminum colour) or green? I may have to get the water pump and acc. brackets on before I make the final decision there.
rusty_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #53
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see how it comes out! You Know, you're handy with a welder, trailing arms ain't hard to make. There are instructions on here, lots of guys have done it. Give it a whack!
Thanks for the good words!

If I had a better welder I might try to build some (just have a little migpak 100). I would also probably want to use a good chop saw (which I don't have) to get the angles right. I found a decent set at the local wrecker. Going out there with a cordless grinder and a zip disc to liberate them this weekend.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #54
jkeating1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_67 View Post
Do you think that black is the right colour for the harmonic balancer? I can't decide. It looks good the way it is, but would it look better in silver (aluminum colour) or green?
I think black. Its down toward the bottom.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #55
Square_78

Quote:
Funny you should say that, another member on here (Linguini, his build is 'project dream 65', his name is Ed) used Tyler to do a bunch of work for him and couldn't say enough about him. I should have got him to do my cab.

I love how this site connects people like that. I've already sent an email to that guy down in Keremeos inquiring about some parts. I'm in desperate need of some trailing arms to keep my project rolling. The ones I have are totally rusted.

Thanks for the good words, we'll have to meet up sometime and share build stories/ideas.
You're truck is really coming together. Its going to be a REALLY nice build. Ive heard about that guy in Keremeos. Does he have a big graveyard full of old chevy trucks? I looked it up online and its just listed as a "mechanic repair shop". I would love to go look around there and see what he has. Maybe we should plan a trip down there one day and check it out. I'll be at most of the car shows this year, especially the wednesday night "cruise in at the corner" shows on McCurdy at the grand 10 starting next month. You'll have to come find me if you are ever there.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #56
Tinsmith

Haha that's funny I grew up in keremeos, I know exactly who you are talking about. The guys name is Ron Dremel he owns the Cawston Tire Shop, great guy. He will B.S. with you all day about these trucks, he is building a cool suburban right now. You may be able to get some parts from him but he doesn't like to part with many things.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tinsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #57
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
You're truck is really coming together. Its going to be a REALLY nice build. Ive heard about that guy in Keremeos. Does he have a big graveyard full of old chevy trucks? I looked it up online and its just listed as a "mechanic repair shop". I would love to go look around there and see what he has. Maybe we should plan a trip down there one day and check it out. I'll be at most of the car shows this year, especially the wednesday night "cruise in at the corner" shows on McCurdy at the grand 10 starting next month. You'll have to come find me if you are ever there.
Yeah, I need to get out to the cruise in this year. I've kinda been waiting out until I finish my truck, but probably should just go.

Do you know if the Doo Wop swap meet is this weekend? I can't find much info about it but what I did find says its scheduled for the 10th. I was hoping to get a table there but guess its a bit late now.

I'll have to give that guy in Keremeos a call, I emailed him but didn't get a response. If he's willing to part with what I need I'd make a trip down there.

It really seems like parts for these trucks have gotten scarce around here, unless you need hood... I went to pick n pull a couple weeks ago and managed to get a ps pump from an 85 gmc, proportional valve for disc/drum, and there was also a 68 gmc in there with a good set of trailing arms. Most of the rest of the truck was gone, but it had a decent cab, better than what I started with. I couldn't quite get the trailing arms off though, the ubolts didn't want to give, ended up breaking my 1/2in ratchet (only about a 7ft snipe, no problem it was a craftsman they replaced it no questions asked). So I went back last weekend armed with a sawzal and like in a scene from a horror movie when I walked up to the row where the gmc was, they had taken the entire row for crushing. I couldn't believe it, what a bummer...
Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #58
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsmith View Post
Haha that's funny I grew up in keremeos, I know exactly who you are talking about. The guys name is Ron Dremel he owns the Cawston Tire Shop, great guy. He will B.S. with you all day about these trucks, he is building a cool suburban right now. You may be able to get some parts from him but he doesn't like to part with many things.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha, and we thought the world was small before the internet... Good to know, thanks for the info!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #59
rusty_67

So I finally got the Addco front sway bar all mocked up and holes drilled ready to install. I have to say its kind of a hokey piece. The bar itself is nice, as its wider set than the original, but the links (to the lower control arm) seem a bit undersized. They are pretty much the same links that are on my girlfriends ford focus. Not only that, but since it doesn't use any of the factory mounting holes, you have to be very careful to make sure the links are setup up nice and straight when you drill for your frame brackets, otherwise you'll put unnecessary shear on the link bolts and those little guys can't take a whole lot.

Maybe its just me, I did a search and couldn't find any other complaints about it.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #60
rusty_67

Not to much to report, but I did get the Front sway bar finished. I also cleaned up, painted, and mounted the new power steering box. doing some behind the scenes work right now, cleaning up all the rear end/suspension parts. The more I work on this truck the more realize how much work it is to convert the leaf spring frame to coil. I have to locate and drill all the holes for the rear suspension crossmember (where the shocks mount), plus there are a bunch of extra support/stiffening brackets that have to be added. I got sick of grinding off all the rivets on the old frame to get all the parts I needed (my neighbours probably did too) so I just started blowing them out with my torch. It actually worked pretty good.

I placed a big order last week for a bunch of the remaining frame and engine parts. Will be going to pick that up on the long weekend. Then I think I've only got one more big order to have everything I need to finish. I'm sure there will be a few local parts runs, and of course I still need a box, but none the less, getting closer...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #61
rusty_67

Good progress this weekend, managed to get all the rear end parts painted and put together. Hopefully tonight I'll get the shocks mounted and pull the wheels and tires out of storage. Maybe have a rolling frame by tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #62
gdavis

I can remember when I got a rolling chassis. I felt a litter pride. And now I have finshed all my sheet metal. Starting on the inside color soon.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #63
67cheby
67cheby

congrats !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #64
jkeating1

Still first class all the way! You aren't missing a detail. I love it!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #65
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
I can remember when I got a rolling chassis. I felt a litter pride. And now I have finshed all my sheet metal. Starting on the inside color soon.
Is that a nice way of saying I have a long way to go? haha. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
congrats !
Thanks!

Quote:
Still first class all the way! You aren't missing a detail. I love it!
Thanks! I appreciate the enthusiasm!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #66
gdavis

Yea In a round about way. I too have a long way to go. I'm getting a litter impatient on my build so I thought I might take a break. When you get impatient as I. I make short cuts and mistakes. Anyway happy building and good luck my friend.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #67
rusty_67

It Rolls!

The wheels aren't much to speak of. Just some 15" chrome modular, they have a little bit of rust in a couple spots, but will do for the first summer. I like the modular style, but will probably end up getting some 16" Aluminums for the second summer.

I know I still have a fair amount of work left on the frame, but it will be nice to be able to roll the chassis in and out of the garage as needed.

Last edited by rusty_67; 03-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #68
gdavis

A rolling chassis is always a plus. It make you think about all the hard work you have already done. Plus the work you have to do and it is easier to work on when it rolls.

LET IT ROLL
Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #69
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
A rolling chassis is always a plus. It make you think about all the hard work you have already done. Plus the work you have to do and it is easier to work on when it rolls.

LET IT ROLL
Only problem is I haven't got all the steering linkage in (waiting on the rest of the parts which I should have this weekend) which makes it really hard to maneuver. Both tires always want to turn in...
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #70
rusty_67

Got the tie rods on yesterday and the ends seem way too long. All four ends ends are in the adjusting sleeve as far as they will go and the tires are still toe out. I think I'm just going to shorten the thread length a bit on each end. Anyone see any problems with this?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #71
gdavis

Yea just chop the threads off some on each. first start a nut and when you remove the nut it will clean up the threads.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #72
lenguini

Quote:
It Rolls!

The wheels aren't much to speak of. Just some 15" chrome modular, they have a little bit of rust in a couple spots, but will do for the first summer. I like the modular style, but will probably end up getting some 16" Aluminums for the second summer.

I know I still have a fair amount of work left on the frame, but it will be nice to be able to roll the chassis in and out of the garage as needed.

Lookin good bud !

Ed.

My build thread-project truck dream 65"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510863
lenguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #73
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguini View Post
Lookin good bud !

Ed.
Thanks Ed!

Good to see you the other day, hope the stands work out for you.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #74
rusty_67

Small Update. The LT1 is a bit different in that the harmonic damper is neutral balanced, and there is a hub that is pressed on to the nose of the crank that you bolt the damper to. As it turns out, throughout the short 5 year time span that they made the LT1, they used 4 different hub lengths. Since I am changing the front accessories over to the corvette setup, the original caprice hub wouldn't work (different length means the accessory belt wouldn't line up). So the cheapest route ended up being to go with an aftermarket piece.

So I pulled off the old one.

Then with my homemade damper installer (ready rod, various washers, a used grinding disc that just happened to be within arms reach, and a nut), I pressed on the new hub.

Since the hub is pressed on, a key is not required, but the crank does have a keyway and the aftermarket hub does as well, so I added a woodruff key just for a bit of insurance. Typically just the guys who supercharge add the key, due to increased belt tension. Here is the hub installed.

Its a nice loooking piece, kind of a shame I have to install the damper over top. Oh well...

So not much of an update, but hopefully more soon. I've been working on brake lines. I bought a set of pre-bent lines off craigslist for 20 bucks, couldn't go wrong. The guy selling them said he ordered them for his blazer and when they came the box said 1969 gmc/chevy pickup lwb (or something like that). When I went to install them everything was going well until I got to the piece that runs the length of the truck. It came up about 10in to short. So maybe this kit was actually for a swb? Oh well, can't complain too much for $20. I just went to crappy tire and picked up short piece and cut it to make up the extra length.

Also working on getting the waterpump installed on the motor. I went electric so there is a bit of work involved in modifying the pump housing. More pics to come.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #75
Snowbound

Hey Russ, I'm the guy who texted about the steering shaft. Ed mentioned you were on the forum, so I thought I would look you up.

Nice job on the build. I like your attention to detail.

There is a GMC in Pick'n Pull with the roof hacked off. Not sure if the trailing arms are there. I've got to go there tomorrow so I'll check it out.

Hope to see some of you locals around this summer!

Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote