The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
Woogeroo

Exclamation Parts Sources

return to The 60-66 FAQ Index, Section 2C...

----

NOTE : this article was written for the 60-66 trucks, HOWEVER a lot of the places to search and the methods used also applies to other model trucks. Also, many of the vendors mentioned in various links within this post sell parts for many, many year models. Even if you do not have a 60-66 truck, but you wandered in here from elsewhere, you can still learn something from this thread. Enjoy.

This post is about parts searching methods and actual parts sources. If you want to learn anything from this article, you will need to follow the various links, read, absorb and explore them. I am pointing you in the right directions, not spoon feeding you every single morsel of information. This post and it's many links to other articles requires reading comprehension skills. If you do not wish to take the time to read it all and learn from others, it will not be of much use to you in learning about parts searching.

Searching methods can be from looking in person at parts, researching online, seeking parts on the telephone or wandering around a swap meet near you.

Parts sources range from actual parts vendors that cater to our old trucks, other forum members, Forum Vendors, your local salvage yard and parts store or a random yard sale near you.

Parts searching is all part of the adventure of owning an old truck.

I am not an Administrator of the forum or a Moderator.

I'm just a fella that likes old GM trucks and as I've collected a lot of information about parts searching, I'm just trying to share it with other forum members..

One of the most handy parts sources is here on our forum in the classifieds section, the Parts Boards, which are broken down by year model/body style. To make the most out of the Parts Boards tho', requires being a Supporting Member, so that you can place ads. Hence I have included the details on this, in this message.

A lot of your success in finding parts will be due to asking for or searching for the correct part by name or terminology. Trying to find out what a piece of your old truck is actually called in a GM parts book... or the nickname that has since developed for a component is all an element of the adventure of owning and fixing an old truck.

The mention of the Announcement posts is included as a lot of new members never bother to read them when they join, then complain or whine when a post they made about parts or other things is edited, locked down or outright deleted. Read the Announcement posts and you'll get a good idea of what is allowed and what is not.

My only intent in posting this is to share information about available parts sources for new old stock/reproduction or used parts for GM trucks, from forum members, Supporting Vendors(scroll down to see 'em) or others. I have no financial stake in this, I am only sharing the knowledge to help you along your way in learning how to find parts for old GM trucks.

Read it, learn, go explore and find parts... or ignore it.

Also, be sure to explore the posts made down below within this thread as other members chime in with suggestions and advice!

-W

This message was last wrenched on : 10/10/2014

At the top of each area of the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum are a list of Announcement posts. As of this writing there are five separate ones listed. You should read each post, as they are the rules, guidelines & polices this forum is run under & moderated by. Ignorance of the rules is not a valid excuse for violating them.

Parts Posts - Want to buy or selling parts on the forum : The Rules

If you wish to post "buy/sell/want to buy(WTB) parts ads", you must be a Supporting Member of the forum or any post you make of this type will be edited on the first few instances or outright deleted. All for sale posts go in the classifieds section and the various Parts Boards, which are broken down by year model and categories.
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct<- one of those Announcement posts I mentioned, which you've already agreed to follow... and probably have not read yet.
The reason behind the requirement to be a Supporting Member for buying & selling parts on this board:

Many years ago there were problems with out right scam artists using this site to commit fraud by NOT sending the parts they advertised, as agreed upon. The fella that founded this forum, got tired of people abusing his fellow forum members and dealing with the hassles related to this illegal activity.
details about the supporting members
He then instituted the rule of 'only Supporting Members can buy/sell stuff on the forum.' The site related "bad deal" issues he had to contend with suddenly dropped to 1 or 2 a month. The frauds were too cheap to pay up(or to leave a legal money trail to follow), so they left.

Supporting Members

As of this writing(05/2014), it is only 25 US Dollars to become a Supporting Member of the forum for a full 12 months from the date you sign up. Then you can place for sale ads, want to buy ads(wtb) etc., within the Classifieds area & Parts Boards. This is the only area within the forum where any For Sale ads are allowed. Your subscription will cost more if you are buying & selling parts like a business(or if you are in fact, a business), see the details about Supporting Members to view the current rate scale.

If you decide to become a Supporting Member, here is The Classifieds Section here on the forum. Be sure to visit The 60-66 Parts Board for items specific to our trucks.

You can buy stuff out of there without being a Supporting Member, but you can not post ads to sell or looking to buy.

Guidelines for posts asking : What's it worth?(WIW)

1) if you own the item and you are asking: what is it worth?(WIW), you should post in the WIW forum. This is to prevent people from trying to circumvent the rules about posting things for sale in the message boards or trying to sell items without being a Supporting Member.

2) if you do not own the item you are asking : what is it worth? about, that is considered to be research on current prices of things, availability, rarity, etc. and it is o.k. to inquire about within the message board.

source thread for the above guidelines : WIW (what's it worth) forum - questions : January 2014

Supporting Vendors & Suspension Marketplace
Be sure to stop by the Vendors Marketplace from time to time, as the Supporting Vendors(scroll down to see 'em) have sales on items, new product offerings... or sometimes they ask for advice about products they are considering producing. Many of our Supporting Vendors sell used parts, so check with them if you are looking for something. See which parts boards they post in the most, to get an idea of what year models they specialize in.

Suspension Marketplace - Due to an overwhelming increase of Vendors that cater to our trucks suspension needs, we now have the Suspension Marketplace. This Vendors forum is located within the Suspension Forum and allows our supporting Vendors to post their Suspension Related, Forum Specials in an area specific to your needs.

Links Directory

a list here on the forum of links to external sites, with the following categories :
  • Home Pages(of your fellow forum members)
  • Vendors
  • Engine Performance Parts
  • Tools & Supplies
  • Suspension & Brakes
  • Paint & Specialty Coatings

If you have a 1960-66 truck, be sure to explore the The 1960-1966 FAQ Index and the sites and articles linked there... you never know what you will find by exploring the External Links sections... as many of the sites listed in there, have various types of classifieds sections.

Everything within this post, is listed or linked somewhere in the 60-66 FAQ Index, but I decided to write a post about parts huntin' and searching.

The 60-66 FAQ Index contains a list of 100's of threads within the forum about all areas of '60-'66 trucks. There is also plenty of links to external "how-to" articles, tech., photo albums, videos and web logs from your fellow forum members. Go Explore!

GM parts wiki
a site dedicated to GM parts numbers, scans of old parts books, along with photos of the parts and their boxes/packaging. It takes some experimenting to get a feel for it, but it is a handy resource.
FLAPS

*Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

A lot of mechanical bits and pieces can still be found for our trucks at the local parts stores, big and small. Gasket material, hoses, brake and fuel lines, rebuild kits for carburetors & brake wheel cylinders. Bigger things like alternators, water pumps. Things like, wires, fuses, brake shoes and more... generally speaking, the under the hood, under the chassis mechanical things and and under the dash electrical items. Now, they may not always have it on the shelf, you may have to order it, but if you have to return it, there is no shipping involved. The policies for the older type, new/rebuilt parts are in line with the same policies on modern parts. For example : most places don't accept returns on opened electrical parts.

Another reason to shop there is that some long existing aftermarket companies(think Edelbrock, Holley, some exhaust companies, the aftermarket AC companies, think about any aftermarket company that was around before the Internet, etc..) have distribution agreements with various stores all over North America. These companies and those exclusive distribution agreements pre-date the Internet, so they do not sell their products directly to the customer. If you visit the websites of some long existing aftermarket companies, you will see something like : find a distributor/dealer/installer in your area, etc.. Well, a lot of times that distributor is your local parts store, speed shop, 4x4/off-road & custom shop. The plus with this situation is, most times they will have the catalogs of the various companies. Another plus is, if there is an issue you can take it back and have them order another part, etc..

NOTE : The newer aftermarket companies, that do not have exclusive distribution agreements are usually the ones that will ship directly to you.

Woogeroo articles about parts(links)
NOTE : these next two links are on my personal non-commercial oriented website. They list current Parts Vendors that sell pieces for old Chevy/GMC trucks and where/how to look for used parts.

Parts Vendors

The Chevrolet & GMC Truck Parts Vendors List
  • all year models, Chevy/GMC Full Size trucks...
  • 60 plus vendors listed and linked
  • phone numbers and addresses listed on most
  • notes which ones will ship Internationally
  • a few of them, are in Canada
  • go explore!

Be sure to check the Review Board here on the forum before buying parts from any vendor. Start a new post to find out what you need to know. Some vendors have great service and parts returns policies... and others do not! Sometimes places go downhill or start to get their act together... sometimes they get new owners, for better or worse. Find out the latest results in your Review Board.

Used Parts Searching - an article on how to get started

The link below goes to an article that has existed in multiple incarnations on my personal web pages at different URLS for many years now. The article contains tips, hints and sources for searching for New Old Stock, reproduction and specifically, used old Chevy/GMC truck parts. It is by no means the end all explanation to finding everything everywhere, it is merely an article, not a book.

I am not an expert by any means, I am just sharing what I have learned or found out in the last several years looking for parts myself. I have noticed though, that some old truck folks know about some of these resources, but maybe not all of them. Also, they may know of the resources, but not all of the ways to search them, or to best make use of the sources in order to find what they are looking for.

The article covers pre-1973 truck parts as that was my original focus when I made up the original list that the article has since evolved from. Many of the same ideas apply to looking for later model truck parts, at many of the same sources. I have not spent as much time and effort searching for later model truck information and parts, so I cut it off at 1972 as that was my range of interest at the time. In other words, I'm not hating on the later model Chevy/GMC trucks, I like those too! If you find type o's or have anything to add, please let me know and I will edit my article.

Enjoy, I hope some people find it helpful,

Used Chevy/GMC Truck Parts - where to look and how?
  • why utilize, used parts?
  • used parts, new old stock, reproduction : what!?
  • where to start to look?
  • tips on searching methods, for different sites...
  • how to start to look?
  • offline places to look...
  • a list of online places to look...
  • tips and tricks for searching at various online places

*end of Woogeroo article links*

Stovebolt Page Links
any pre-1973 GM truck... tech articles and forums as well as the 60-66 trucks section.
The 'bolt has an extensive Links page with almost a thousand links listed... and an active Swap Meet area for the pre-1973 GM trucks.
  • Parts sources
  • Services
  • Electrical
  • Truck Sites
  • Clubs
  • Insurance
  • Publications and Literature
  • Street Rods
  • Fire Trucks
  • Tools
  • Trailers
  • Modern Iron
  • Other Neat Stuff

As always, do your research on the Review Board before putting your money down!

Also explore the Vendor Links page from hilandr451's '60-'66 Chevy Trucks Page.

Review Board
This is where folks can discuss good deals or bad deals, excellent customer service or terrible customer service... and everything in between. It is a good place to do research, before you put your money down!

The Review Board contains the following sub-forums :
  1. Member Dealings
  2. Vendor Reviews
  3. Product Reviews
Member Dealings
This is for all member reviews. This is to be used for classified ad transaction reviews(Parts boards, trucks for sale, etc..).
Vendor Reviews
This area is for all Vendor reviews, such as : great customer service, prompt shipping or vice versa.
Product Reviews
This area is for all product reviews. This is where you post about the quality of a part, how well it fit, the ease of the instructions, etc. Also, it's where you post if the item is not any good.
If any of you have information to add about parts books to look for, etc., or other ways/places to search for parts, please post it within this thread, as this thread is now listed in your 60-66 FAQ Index.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Woogeroo, your friendly forum old Chevy/GMC truck addict.
----

return to The 60-66 FAQ Index, Section 2C...

Last edited by Woogeroo; 10-10-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Bret B

Re: Parts Sources

Now this is helpful Woog!!! The gist of your message had me thrown for a little loop, but now, seeing this, it makes more sense. Good post, and you can chalk another couple click thru's to your website from me, and a few more in the not to distant future.
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
flashed

I think every member selling parts on this board has took some of my money but supplied me with every part I needed ,thanks to you all for your recycling efforts that keep these old trucks on the road .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Woogeroo

tweaked a few things, added the section about FLAPS today.

add your information.

-W
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
LT1 Burb

The only 3 parts places I use regularly is Ebay, Craigslist and The Truck Shop. I did buy a set of fleetside shortbed trim pieces from Mark K but I haven't even opened the tube to look at it.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Woogeroo

did some more tweakin' today, fixed some type-o's, re-wrote a few things to be more clear, hopefully.

If ya see some new old truck folks wandering around lost looking for parts, send 'em here.

-W
Old 03-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Woogeroo

tweaked a few more things... should be good for the road for awhile.

-W
Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
veedubshafer
Account Suspended

Please don't solicit me anymore. Thanks, Dan.
veedubshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
1963c-10

Nice work Woogeroo....thank you for taking your time for always continuing to make this site even better!!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Different members do different things on this board without any recognition, this work you do for everyone goes unappreciated by many yet is valued by the ones who care. Thank You Sir for your effort and contributions.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Woogeroo

Exclamation Re: Parts Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubshafer View Post
Please don't solicit me anymore. Thanks, Dan.
solicit you for what? I'm not selling anything.

It's free information, use it or don't use it.

Weird.

Have a nice day.

-W

Last edited by Woogeroo; 03-20-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Thanks Woog! It is and has been useful to me.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
flashed

WOW ,lots of good info even though I dont have a 60-66 truck anymore ,but I can now figure out what this fender fits hopefully by checking the numbers stamped on it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #14
Woogeroo

Wink Re: Parts Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
WOW ,lots of good info even though I dont have a 60-66 truck anymore ,but I can now figure out what this fender fits hopefully by checking the numbers stamped on it .
Well, it doesn't just cover 60-66's... I just wrote it that way so I could include a link to it in the 60-66 FAQ, as well as have it in the forum here.

That and I didn't know where else to post it?

The information really covers any antique GM full size truck that someone is parts searching for.

I hope it helps some folks out.

-W
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #15
brokenspoke

Try using (search tempest) It searches craigslist, ebay, others in one search
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Woogeroo

Question Re: Parts Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
Try using (search tempest) It searches craigslist, ebay, others in one search
brokenspoke

is this the URL ?

http://www.searchtempest.com

-W
Old 03-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
Lugnutz65

Woog,
That is the correct URL. http://www.searchtempest.com

You can specify how many miles radius to search from any zip code (i.e. your zip code).
It will search every city on CL within the radius all at once and then list them by city. It really speeds things up.

Everyone,
As an avid CL searcher, I will offer a few suggestions to those folks who use Craigslist or SearchTempest. These methods have helped me find the "needle in the haystack" on more than one occasion.

People who sell stuff on CL do not always list stuff properly. They spell things incorrectly sometimes. They write the listing with unusual terms or abbreviations. Therefore, typing your search word in the CL search box may only catch a few listings but miss others.

For instance, typing "C10" in the CL search box will find most listings. However, try these search words as well. C-10, C20, C-20, C30, C-30, 1963, 63, 1964, 64, 1965, 65, 1966, 66, rat, rod, project, restoration, restore, 3 speed, 3-speed, old, stepside, step side, fleet, fleetside, truck.

I found a beautiful hood and fender and other nice parts just 4 miles from my house because the listing said 63 C20 (not 1963 C20). I was missing it completely when I searched because my search was limited by searching for C10.

Also, people are notoriously bad spellers. Try misspelling the search word. Just as an example, listings often have Camero instead of Camaro.

There are some nice parts to be found out there, so go find them.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #18
ChefCy

thanks!!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
Grizz1963

Thank you very much W.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Woogeroo

added the Links Directory to the original post... it's sorta buried on the forum here... I'd forgotten about it to be honest.

There is some good stuff in there tho'!

-W

Last edited by Woogeroo; 07-20-2014 at 07:17 PM.