The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
cortcomp

Light Green ext and alpine green 327?

I'm taking a sample of painted alpine green to the parts store to get it shot with the camera and hopefully get some centari single stage mixed up. What i noticed though is that the alpine green is pretty close to the stock color i chose for the truck "light green" (code 503 if i recall.)

Anyways, we all know that everyone thinks all chevy v8s are orange (someone had even painted mine orange at some point). I'm afraid it's going to look like we just tried to match the engine to the body color but did a bad job of it. I know it's a dumb detail, but it's annoying me to the point where i've considered painting it grey and slapping 283 stickers on it!

Does anyone have any pictures of a clean alpine green motor in a light green truck that i could get a glimpse of? Maybe with all the black underhood it won't "blend in"?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Dillon Rock

Re: Light Green ext and alpine green 327?

I got ya pal. It's a 6 but it's alpine green.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
Dillon Rock

And here's the truck. Hope it helps ya with your dilemma bud.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
cortcomp

Thanks for the shots...my truck is a bit different from yours i think, here's a shot of the 66 light green color, it's very close to the alpine green. Too close :-/ :
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
cortcomp

Spent some time at the parts store and shot it with the gun (the DE1618 duplicolor sample i made) and also, he had an old centari book with the alpine green for 61 gmc engine color in it. The computer translated the formula to the latest formula, which he showed me from the mixture is a little lighter.

On the samples, the background piece is the DE1618, the gun showed it as GS458, he felt GS457 was closer. The old formula was probably GS458/GS459. The new formula on the paper was very close to DE1618 and probably GS457. Keep in mind this is under fluorescent lights, camera phone, etc. (This is all centari formulas btw)

Now, researching here from everyone who has done a lot of work with low mileage trucks, paint samples, etc, i believe the 327 was a little darker than the alpine green even OEM. Also, going darker should get me away from my oem paint color some.

So, he gave me a can of the mixture with no white (same mixture as the pictures, but just no white part in there) He said to mix it and do the paint on paper sample i did, and realize it darkens some. I hope to get closer to GS460 just mixing ad-hoc, but i can see now the GS460 didn't come out that well because of reflection. He said by mixing those together, it should stay in the same "shade" family and darken up some, vs just adding black as i would have done and changing the color completely.

Hopefully this info will help someone when they want to go get some single stage done and have an idea of the neighborhood they'll be in.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
cru_zn_29

My alpine green 65 C20 327
Attached Images

cru_zn_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
cortcomp

That looks very close to the new mixture on the paper (it's lighter than the photos show). I see plenty of samples of the engines done up (nice engines by the way guys), i'm just curious, if against a truck that is factory light green's firewall, if it will look like the motor was just painted body color. A detail i didn't consider when i chose exterior color. I really like it when the motor pops or is a lot different than the body color, it stands out, like the parts on your motor being black and natural colored vs just painting EVERYTHING the same color on the motor.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

My 292 was Alpine Green 48 years ago..lol I have to admit..it is a nice color when done right.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
RANDY COX

That's the color I'm using also picked it up off the shelf it's Detroit Diesel alpine Green.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
62 Longbed

Picture of my 1962 I had , paint code 503A ..
Attached Images

Last edited by 62 Longbed; 05-25-2014 at 01:49 PM.
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote