The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
Gobuffalo

Suburban wiring

I am getting ready to buy a new wiring harness for this project. I have read several threads regarding different suppliers. Seems like most people like M&H or AAW. All of the products I have found are for trucks. When it comes to the rear light, dome light, fuel sender and A/C harness that runs up the A pillar and across the roof, I'm on my own.
Anybody ever dealt with this.
Gobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Suburban wiring

I rewired my Suburban with M&H harnesses, and the rear harness was not a problem for me. Though I do not have rear A/C.

If you have the old harness with the A/C connections for the rear half, I am pretty sure M&H will make you a new one using your old one as a template.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
taylorbg

I just did mine using this guys kit. http://www.hotrodwires.com/

He is a local guy that I met a a swap meet. It worked out really well.
taylorbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
blfuller123

I used a painless harness and did run it through the pillar. It was pretty simple. I used one of the old wire that was already there to pull the new wire through. It did not have rear dome light wiring, but the sending unit wiring was more than long enough to reach the back.
blfuller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
Gobuffalo

Called M&H to ask questions. $900.00 for everything except the A/C wires. Can only be used with a stock dash. 12 week lead time.
I guess those $400.00 to $500.00 wiring kits you see on line might work. I wonder how much this will actually cost to complete. I was hoping somebody made a "complete" kit for a Suburban with more circuits, ATO fuses and would work with aftermarket gauges.
I don't want to buy somebody's "kit" and find out I need a bunch of extra stuff. Or end up with "complete kit" that that I can't use all or at least most of.
I figured with the popularity of Suburbans this would be easier.
Talked to Brothers, they sell the AAW kit and have had no complaints about it. The only problem is it's for a truck.
Gobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
k5kev

I went with the AAW "Classic Update" on my Burb, which has just about every thing you need. I love this kit. The fact they list it for a truck is no big deal, you just run the provided tail light and gas gauge wires thru the Burb roof instead of along the frame like a truck. Then buy a set of their "original" suburban tail light harnesses/connectors ($20-$40 if I remember). The main kit also includes all the necessary stuff for custom or aftermarket gauges if you choose.

For the rear ac wiring I just bought new wire, and used the old connectors to build my own new harness.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck!
k5kev is offline   Reply With Quote