The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #2101
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
You driving this thing yet?
Just about....Tell ya what, You bring your skills over here around the end of next week and align my doors, fenders and hood....oh yeah, I'll need you to bring those Coys for a test drive of course. Just sayin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Mike, where did you get the LED bulbs for the dash? I'm getting ready to order some but I don't want to waste my time on chinese relabeled garbage ones if you know what I mean.
HERE are the LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
WOW!!! Doors and interior are looking saweet!
Thanks Bhelton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Looking very nice Mike, it's nice when you start seeing things come together!!!
Thanks Jason. It is getting close. Amazing how much time you can spend on the simplest part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Wowww! Interior looks awesome Mike. Nice and clean work your doing.
Thanks Scott.

LEDs in the dark
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #2102
Molberg

Just checked in on your build mike... Haven't received any notifications on it for some reason. Wow! That looks awesome brother.... That red looks killer.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #2103
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molberg View Post
Just checked in on your build mike... Haven't received any notifications on it for some reason. Wow! That looks awesome brother.... That red looks killer.
Thanks Molberg. I appreciate the complement.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #2104
Low Elco

Looks great, Mike! Thanks for the VA shots, lookin' like I might need the guidance!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #2105
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Mike,
Truck looks great!
BTW...I wanted to tell you that I have seen another members passenger mirror fix for your issue. He dremeled out the sholder of the aftermarket mirror (carefully) that catches on the mount. It allows the mirror to articulate far enough to actually use it. We can visit on PM and Ill see if I can get a pic from him or maybe he will post here.
Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #2106
joey8383

Mike- I just spent all weekend and my lunch hour reading through this entire build! Probably a solid 8-10 hours worth! Absolute killer build. I bookmarked a ton of pages on here and really got me inspired. I'm also building mine on a tight budget with extra money from sidework etc. I'm just 45 minutes down the interstate from you in case you run across any more killer deals on an LS motor. There are a couple LQ4's and LY6's on car-part.com in the Tulsa salvage yards. I'm holding out as long as possible waiting for a deal hopefully.
I can't wait for my frame to come back from sand blasting to get started now. Any regrets using the rustoleum on frame?
AWESOME BUILD. NICE WORK!!!
joey8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #2107
jlaird

Mike,

The progress looks really good. I may have missed it, but was there a reason you drilled the trim holes after you painted?
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #2108
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks great, Mike! Thanks for the VA shots, lookin' like I might need the guidance!
Thanks Chip, if I can help you with your fittings just hit me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Mike,
Truck looks great!
BTW...I wanted to tell you that I have seen another members passenger mirror fix for your issue. He dremeled out the sholder of the aftermarket mirror (carefully) that catches on the mount. It allows the mirror to articulate far enough to actually use it. We can visit on PM and Ill see if I can get a pic from him or maybe he will post here.
Mike
Thanks Mike. I am putting off drilling the pass. Mirror holes as long as I can. I think it will work regardless. I'd like to see that modification you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey8383 View Post
Mike- I just spent all weekend and my lunch hour reading through this entire build! Probably a solid 8-10 hours worth! Absolute killer build. I bookmarked a ton of pages on here and really got me inspired. I'm also building mine on a tight budget with extra money from sidework etc. I'm just 45 minutes down the interstate from you in case you run across any more killer deals on an LS motor. There are a couple LQ4's and LY6's on car-part.com in the Tulsa salvage yards. I'm holding out as long as possible waiting for a deal hopefully.
I can't wait for my frame to come back from sand blasting to get started now. Any regrets using the rustoleum on frame?
AWESOME BUILD. NICE WORK!!!
Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread. Sorry it's so long. That happens when you stretch it out like me. On the rustoleum, it has held up pretty good in the shop, the real test will come when I start driving it. No regrets really, I might have gone with a polyurethane if I had it to do over. It is a super tight budget build in the grand scheme. It will be a nice driver, a little nicer than I planned but I don't mind that. Thanks again. Hope to see your build some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Mike,

The progress looks really good. I may have missed it, but was there a reason you drilled the trim holes after you painted?
Thanks. On the trim holes, honestly I missed it on the pass side door that it only had lower trim. I used one door from the brown CST donor and the other I found on Craigslist. I never noticed it was missing the upper holes till when to painted it. By then I was just wanting it painted. I would recommend drilling all holes and fitting all trim during mock up.
All the upper bed trim will be held on by the stick on 72 type retainers. So no drilling on the uppers there. The lowers should be easy, I'm going to drill them soon.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2109
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks for the link Mike!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #2110
mikeleeshields

Looking so goooood Mike

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #2111
Low Elco

Mike, what have you decided on all this fixed/variable compressor displacement as it relates to VA brouhaha? I'm findin' all Kiiiiiiiinds of stuff, and not sure what to believe.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #2112
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Thanks for the link Mike!
Anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
Looking so goooood Mike
Thanks Mike
Quote:
Mike, what have you decided on all this fixed/variable compressor displacement as it relates to VA brouhaha? I'm findin' all Kiiiiiiiinds of stuff, and not sure what to believe.
I'm not sure what you're talking about? I know of a few members that are using the stock compressor with a VA setup. Can you elaborate? or send me a link to the discussion? I just figured the compressor compresses liquid to gas and that's what I wanted...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #2113
KSWes

Been off the grid for a bit. Your doors look great and you accelerated past me on your interior wrap up. Looks super clean! You're gaining on it now, guessing you'll be crossing the finish line before me. You're doing quality work there keep it up!

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #2114
Low Elco

Well, I called VA and they got prit near pissy when I told them what I was up to. Apparently there are 3 modern compressors on LS motors and 2 on trucks (variable and constant pumping) alone and you apparently have to have a magical peeping stone to know the difference in the two. Ahoo, they said not to use VA with anything but their Sanden compressor. I know less than Jack about this stuff, so I'm wading thru as best I can. Here'a a link to the start of the deal. Mine is an '06 and I think a constant. We'll see.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ble-fixed.html
Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #2115
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWes View Post
Been off the grid for a bit. Your doors look great and you accelerated past me on your interior wrap up. Looks super clean! You're gaining on it now, guessing you'll be crossing the finish line before me. You're doing quality work there keep it up!
Thanks Wes. It's a super slow process to restore and install the smallest little pieces. I hope to be driving it soon. I need to raise about $750 for tires.
I won't have it "finished" but at least I can test drive it when I get them.

Quote:
Well, I called VA and they got prit near pissy when I told them what I was up to. Apparently there are 3 modern compressors on LS motors and 2 on trucks (variable and constant pumping) alone and you apparently have to have a magical peeping stone to know the difference in the two. Ahoo, they said not to use VA with anything but their Sanden compressor. I know less than Jack about this stuff, so I'm wading thru as best I can. Here'a a link to the start of the deal. Mine is an '06 and I think a constant. We'll see.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ble-fixed.html
Dang Chip, you have opened my eyes to something I have never even heard about. I hope I have the right setup to keep this puppy cooling proper.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #2116
Low Elco

I'm with you, I've seen a buncha trucks hook it all up and go down the road chillin'. I don't know.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #2117
KSWes

Quote:
Thanks Wes. It's a super slow process to restore and install the smallest little pieces. I hope to be driving it soon. I need to raise about $750 for tires.
I won't have it "finished" but at least I can test drive it when I get them.
Hope it doesn't take long to get the money raised, and hope the AC works like it's supposed to. I know I've read about others using the newer LS GM compressors with VA and or Old Air and it looked like they were doing so without issues.

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #2118
joey8383

There would have to be some way to force that compressor to run at full capacity I would think. I'm an HVAC guy I just don't mess with many cars.. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Where did you get your brake booster and master cylinder Mike? Is it a 67-72 set up??

Can't wait to see the pics of this truck cruising the streets
joey8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #2119
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
I'm with you, I've seen a buncha trucks hook it all up and go down the road chillin'. I don't know.
I'm going with what I have for now. I will dig more into that link later when I have time. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWes View Post
Hope it doesn't take long to get the money raised, and hope the AC works like it's supposed to. I know I've read about others using the newer LS GM compressors with VA and or Old Air and it looked like they were doing so without issues.
Me too, I'm hoping all is good with the AC it's like 100+ today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey8383 View Post
There would have to be some way to force that compressor to run at full capacity I would think. I'm an HVAC guy I just don't mess with many cars.. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Where did you get your brake booster and master cylinder Mike? Is it a 67-72 set up??

Can't wait to see the pics of this truck cruising the streets
The booster and M/C is stock setup for a 72 with disk brakes. I'm not happy with the pedal just yet. I think the m/c rod needs adjusted? not sure. I'm going to drive it soon hope to have it solved.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #2120
mcbassin
Still Learning

Update:
I knocked out all the little dents and polished all the trim then, my son and I got the rear glass and windshield installed. Not too happy with the condition of the rear glass. It has a few deep scratches, It will have to do till I can get a new one. I have 3 and they all have issues. The windshield is great, got it from a local member (Crash_OK) for free thanks Mark! It was a pain to get the windshield trim seated.

Next we hung the pass. side door and adjusted it. Gaps look pretty good and it shuts effortlessly. I still need to glue the seal in, but I think it's going to work good. Sorry the pics suck but my shop is tiny to say the least.

Rear glass:

Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #2121
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It looks great! Isn't it funny how bad new paint makes all your old parts look? I had finding good rear sliders and settled on the one I have for now. Good luck with it!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #2122
jeh

Everything is looking good Mike, the trim looks great with the red paint.
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #2123
mjensen

Excellent! The truck looks soooo good!!!

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #2124
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Won't be long before you are slinging the clubs in the back and heading for the course. Looks great Mike.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #2125
swamp rat

X2! Real sweet!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote