The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
hdff

need help with a SPID code

does anyone know the SPID option code number for 1971 dark blue color with a white top? and black vinyl bench seat
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 09-11-2014 at 06:38 PM.
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
70shortfleet

Re: need help with a SPID code

Don't know but this help http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594524 might help
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Blue/72

Talking Re: need help with a SPID code

After reading this post I think it's 572. Not sure about the seat though
Attached Images

•1972 Cheyenne Super. Sold
Blue/72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
SS Tim

Code 572 is correct for a 523 Dark Blue body and a 521 White roof in the "Conventional Two-Tone" pattern 71-72 pickup.

The rub comes in with the seat. Cheyenne Supers were not available with Black bench seats vinyl or cloth. The only way you could order a Black vinyl was with A50 Bucket seats. Cheyennes, Custom Deluxe and Custom trims all offered a black option though under several differnt codes.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
john
member #16

very nice truck, does your truck have metallic paint or is the shiny clear coat throwing me off?
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
hdff

thanks, the guy I bought it from said it had 7 coats of clear over the '71 dark blue color.
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 09-17-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Code 572 is correct for a 523 Dark Blue body and a 521 White roof in the "Conventional Two-Tone" pattern 71-72 pickup.

The rub comes in with the seat. Cheyenne Supers were not available with Black bench seats vinyl or cloth. The only way you could order a Black vinyl was with A50 Bucket seats. Cheyennes, Custom Deluxe and Custom trims all offered a black option though under several differnt codes.
so 521 is correct for a dark blue truck with a white top which is considered a "conventional" 2 tone, 572 would be a 1 color blue truck.

my SPID says my truck came out as a medium blue paint with blue vinyl custom trim, the PO painted it dark blue and changed the interior to black. my spid is taped on and in bad shape so I was thinking of replacing it with a new one to reflect what it is now
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
so 521 is correct for a dark blue truck with a white top which is considered a "conventional" 2 tone, 572 would be a 1 color blue truck.

my SPID says my truck came out as a medium blue paint with blue vinyl custom trim, the PO painted it dark blue and changed the interior to black. my spid is taped on and in bad shape so I was thinking of replacing it with a new one to reflect what it is now
No, lets try this again. A code 572 truck describes a code 523 Dark Blue truck with a code 521 White roof painted as a "Conventional Two-Tone". That is a white roof and the remainder of the truck blue.
Code 523 Dark Blue is the paint code for a solid paint truck in Dark Blue and is used here to identify the body color.
Code 521 White is the paint code for a solid white truck and is used here to identify the roof color.

Your SPID shows the original paint code as 542 which describes a code 510 Medium Blue truck with a code 521 White roof, again in the "Conventional Two-Tone" pattern. The paint chart below has the factory colors along with GM solid paint codes and the Ditzler code for that color.

Additionally a chart from a series I am working on to break down the codes and colors. Being as yours is a 71-72 with the code 542 paint scheme it is directly applicable to your question as to the breakout.

For more information this post or related thread should be helpful.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12&postcount=9

Now your SPID also shows a couple of other things.
First it had a solid blue vinyl (basically blue everything) Cheyenne (Z84) trim level interior.
Second, your truck is not a Cheyenne Super (YE9).
As I pointed out earlier a Cheyenne Super would not be correct with a Black vinyl bench seat. However a Black vinyl bench seat was offered at the Cheyenne (Z84) trim level and coded 603.

A more "correct" approach for a "converted truck" would be the Super's Blue cloth interior coded 609. Again its basically an all Blue interior save for the Blue and Black Houndstooth cloth and the Black Cheyenne Super specifc items.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
hdff

Quote:
No, lets try this again. A code 572 truck describes a code 523 Dark Blue truck with a code 521 White roof painted as a "Conventional Two-Tone". That is a white roof and the remainder of the truck blue.
Code 523 Dark Blue is the paint code for a solid paint truck in Dark Blue and is used here to identify the body color.
Code 521 White is the paint code for a solid white truck and is used here to identify the roof color.

Your SPID shows the original paint code as 542 which describes a code 510 Medium Blue truck with a code 521 White roof, again in the "Conventional Two-Tone" pattern. The paint chart below has the factory colors along with GM solid paint codes and the Ditzler code for that color.

Additionally a chart from a series I am working on to break down the codes and colors. Being as yours is a 71-72 with the code 542 paint scheme it is directly applicable to your question as to the breakout.

For more information this post or related thread should be helpful.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12&postcount=9

Now your SPID also shows a couple of other things.
First it had a solid blue vinyl (basically blue everything) Cheyenne (Z84) trim level interior.
Second, your truck is not a Cheyenne Super (YE9).
As I pointed out earlier a Cheyenne Super would not be correct with a Black vinyl bench seat. However a Black vinyl bench seat was offered at the Cheyenne (Z84) trim level and coded 603.

A more "correct" approach for a "converted truck" would be the Super's Blue cloth interior coded 609. Again its basically an all Blue interior save for the Blue and Black Houndstooth cloth and the Black Cheyenne Super specifc items.
Thanks for all of the info. I am new to these trucks and still have a lot to learn. You seem to have a lot of info and I appreciate it!
I have another question, I recall reading somewhere here that some earily '71 supers were listed as Custom Sport Trucks on the SPID's due to Gm being slow to get the change info to the assembly line. My question is would the option code (YE9) have been delayed also? My SPID indicates it started out life as a CST with blue interior. Also the gas and brake pads have the metal trim on them that appear to be original, were they available as options on a non super truck? Thanks again for all your help and knowledge, just tryin to figure all this s&it out

Old 09-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
SS Tim

Quote:
Thanks for all of the info. I am new to these trucks and still have a lot to learn. You seem to have a lot of info and I appreciate it!
I have another question, I recall reading somewhere here that some earily '71 supers were listed as Custom Sport Trucks on the SPID's due to Gm being slow to get the change info to the assembly line. My question is would the option code (YE9) have been delayed also? My SPID indicates it started out life as a CST with blue interior. Also the gas and brake pads have the metal trim on them that appear to be original, were they available as options on a non super truck? Thanks again for all your help and knowledge, just tryin to figure all this s&it out

Lets start with the trim levels and their exterior emblems through the 67-72 years. This shows how the names progressed downward as new trim levels were added. This is important to note when people claim "old description" on a SPID.

67 10-30 base fender emblem used for all trim levels
Custom Appearance Z61 Custom badged, door
Custom Comfort Z62 (none)
Custom Sport Truck Z84 CST badged, door

68 CA & CC combined to become Custom Comfort & Appearance Z62

10-30 base fender emblem used for all trim levels
Custom Comfort & Appearance Z62 Custom badged, door
Custom Sport Truck Z84 CST badged, door

69 C/10-30 base trim fender emblem
Custom Comfort & Appearance Z62 Custom/10-30 fender emblem
Custom Sport Truck Z84 CST/10-30 fender emblem

70 C/10-30 base trim fender emblem
Custom Comfort & Appearance Z62 Custom/10-30 fender emblem
Custom Sport Truck Z84 CST/10-30 fender emblem

71 Custom is now base trim
CC&A became Custom Deluxe Z62
CST became Cheyenne Z84

CUSTOM/10-30 base trim fender emblem
Custom Deluxe Z62 CUSTOM/10-30 + DELUXE fender emblems
Cheyenne Z84 CHEYENNE/10-30 fender emblem
Cheyenne Super YE9 (April 71 release) CHEYENNE/10-30 + SUPER fender emblems

72 CUSTOM/10-30 base trim fender emblem
Custom Deluxe Z62 CUSTOM/10-30 + DELUXE fender emblems
Highlander (trim upgrade to and required Custom Deluxe Z62) (no change)
Cheyenne Z84 CHEYENNE/10-30 fender emblem
Cheyenne Super YE9 CHEYENNE/10-30 + SUPER fender emblems

Note: On 67-71 trucks ordered with the Custom Camper (67-68) or CustomCamper/10-30 (69-71) RPO Z81 nameplate, it superceeded the fender series emblem. As such a base 20, C/10 or a CHEYENNE/30 SUPER would have the relevant CustomCamper/10-30 fender emblem and NOT reflect the actual trim level. 72 trucks reverted to a trim level independent Custom Camper door emblems.

Last edited by SS Tim; 12-05-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: note clarification and typo
Old 09-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
SS Tim

To add to the trim codes above here are the dealer ordering descriptions for 70, 71 and 72.
These describe the content added or upgraded from base/standard build.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 09-14-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
SS Tim

Quote:
On SPIDs its important to know that there were many variations between plants and years as far as the descriptions are concerned and often within a year at any given plant. So knowng that, using the RPO code as the primary indicator and the description as a confirming cross check is the best approach. Typos do happen but not nearly as often as people would like and generally only a single character.

Z84 CUSTOM SPORT TRUCK line description did carry over into 71 and even 72. Z84 CHEYENNE was the more correct line description reflecting the new name and badging but for service purposes it worked fine either way. So if a truck has a Z84 only on the SPID it was probably built as a CST or CHEYENNE.

Now the interesting part comes in during the production release of the YE9 CHEYENNE SUPER in April of 71.
There were a number of variations to the early Super's SPIDs and a very common (beside YE9 CHEYENNE SUPER) was to have both Z84 CUSTOM SPORT TRUCK or CHEYENNE and YE9 CHEYENNE SUPER listed on the same SPID. It was a common practice on the GMC trucks to list the Chevrolet options and the GMC specific options as well at some plants/years/time intervals.

Your truck, based on the information and pictures provided, is a Z84 Cheyenne/10. The SPID codes alone do not support it being a Super.

The time frame your truck was produced also leads me to believe it was built too early to have been a Super. The lowest St.Louis built Super SPID in my current collection is nearly 27000 units higher in serial number. Unfortunately I don't have a build date on it to offer you.

If you have a Blue door certification sticker remaining on you truck, that has been masked off and not replaced, the code in the upper right corner indicates the month and year of assembly. This information is in addition to the VIN number in the center.

If you have a Protect-o-Plate it will have the engine's plant build date and suffix code. With this you can determine if the likely original block (unaltered) is still present and the approximate build date of the truck.

Provided is a picture of a 71 Cheyenne (CST) trimmed truck (with tilt) to show the high level of content (including pedal trim) present as well as the original colors (body and trim) of your truck. At the moment I am having a hard time digging a correct 71 Cheyenne Blue bench interior from my collection....
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
SS Tim

Before anyone asks....
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #15
SS Tim

Posted up a 71 Cheyenne Super specific brochure and advance sales notice.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6844700
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
68 50th

Lots of good info here

Just to confuse things a little.
This SPID comes from a 72, it is called Cheyenne Super on the SPID but code is Z84. From all the info here I have learnd the only Cheyenne Super code is YE9.
It also has BLACK bucket seats which was not an option in Supers.

Could this be a typo or a export only thing?

The truck was sold new in Sweden by GM.
Attached Images

1992 Silverado Sport Truck
1988 Silverado 2500 Ext Longbed 4x4
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 Z 28 350/4-speed/AC/T-top
1980 Camaro Coupe V6/3-speed
1979 Buick Century Wagon
68 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #17
hdff

thanks for all of the info tim, i think that the guy i bought it from was trying hard to make it a super.. either way i love my truck! if you have anymore info please don't hesitate to pass it along..

Old 09-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 50th View Post
Lots of good info here
Just to confuse things a little.
This SPID comes from a 72, it is called Cheyenne Super on the SPID but code is Z84. From all the info here I have learnd the only Cheyenne Super code is YE9.
It also has BLACK bucket seats which was not an option in Supers.
Could this be a typo or a export only thing?
The truck was sold new in Sweden by GM.
Is this your truck's SPID? If so it would have been better there on your running Super thread. However since it is here lets break it down a bit.

This truck was built in Canada for Canadian delivery or export (not to the USA).
It was built at (1) Oshawa and they did things there differently with SPIDs all the time.

The whole Z84 CHEYENNE SUPER EQUIPM line dosen't make sense nor have I dug too deep into it, but the Oshawa trucks seem to carry that RPO code and description. Without being able to inspect the vehicles, the few I have SPIDs for that are both Oshawa and Z84, makes things difficult. One I did see pictures for seemed very much to be a Cheyenne without the dash woodgrain even though described as a above.

So this yellow truck may very well be a Super coded Z84 or it maybe a Cheyenne described as a Super. Since the vehicle has an obvious color change it would take some digging to determine its correctness if its even possible at this point. Documentation and period pictures would be a great help.

As to the black buckets that was addressed way back up in post #4.
A Cheyenne Super came standard with a choice of Parchment, Olive or Blue houndstooth cloth bench seats.
If ordered with the A50 bucket seats too, then all of the vinyl bucket colors were available. The Cheyenne Super when equipped with buckets used the same vinyl buckets as a Cheyenne.
So both Black and Saddle were available as Super interiors but with A50 buckets only!
This also means there were no documented houndstooth buckets, saddle or black houndstooth cloth bench seats from the factory I am aware of.

Last edited by SS Tim; 09-16-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: can't spell this mornin'
Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
68 50th

Quote:
Is this your truck's SPID? If so it would have been better there on your running Super thread. However since it is here lets break it down a bit.

This truck was built in Canada for Canadian delivery or export (not to the USA).
It was built at (1) Oshawa and they did things there differently with SPIDs all the time.

The whole Z84 CHEYENNE SUPER EQUIPM line dosen't make sense nor have I dug too deep into it, but the Oshawa trucks seem to carry that RPO code and description. Without being able to inspect the vehicles, the few I have SPIDs for that are both Oshawa and Z84, makes things difficult. One I did see pictures for seemed very much to be a Cheyenne without the dash woodgrain even though described as a above.

So this yellow truck may very well be a Super coded Z84 or it maybe a Cheyenne described as a Super. Since the vehicle has an obvious color change it would take some digging to determine its correctness if its even possible at this point. Documentation and period pictures would be a great help.

A Cheyenne Super came standard with a choice of Parchment, Olive or Blue houndstooth cloth bench seats.
If ordered with the A50 bucket seats too, then all of the vinyl bucket colors were available. The Cheyenne Super when equipped with buckets used the same vinyl buckets as a Cheyenne.
So both Black and Saddle were available as Super interiors but with A50 buckets only!
This also means there were no documented houndstooth buckets, saddle or black houndstooth cloth bench seats from the factory I am aware of.
No, it is not from my truck. It is just a glove box door I bought at a swap meet. The truck it came from is junked many years ago.

Rereading post #4 I can see you claim black buckets where avaliable with Cheyenne Super, I actually missed that.
What made me claim black buckets was not a Cheyenne Super option was what I read in the 72 sales broschure that buckets as well as bench was avaliable in parchment, blue or olive only. It says under Cheyenne Super: If you prefer, order bucket seats and center console. Same colors.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...cks-04-05.html
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1979 Buick Century Wagon
Old 09-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #20
davepl

Here's mine, but be forewarned this is a 1970 and not a '71. Note also that, at least in 1970, there are two dark blues.

In my case 592 is the two-tone code for 2169 blue and the white (forget the number on the white).
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Here's mine, but be forewarned this is a 1970 and not a '71. Note also that, at least in 1970, there are two dark blues.
In my case 592 is the two-tone code for 2169 blue and the white (forget the number on the white).
Yes different colors for 70. 592 is the code for 508 Dark Blue Poly and 512 White in the Special Two-tone scheme. White roof, Blue body and white below the lower molding.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #22
SS Tim

Quote:
No, it is not from my truck. It is just a glove box door I bought at a swap meet. The truck it came from is junked many years ago.
So you never saw the truck or would know if it was a Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super trim then? Too bad!

Quote:
...What made me claim black buckets was not a Cheyenne Super option was what I read in the 72 sales broschure that buckets as well as bench was avaliable in parchment, blue or olive only. It says under Cheyenne Super: If you prefer, order bucket seats and center console. Same colors...
There is actually a thread of mine from last year "Same colors" Cheyenne Super trim " you might like to review too.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592004
Old 09-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #23
68 50th

Quote:

Quote:
So you never saw the truck or would know if it was a Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super trim then? Too bad!
No I never saw the whole truck, just some parts from it. I also bought a door from it and I am almost sure it only got the lower trim no upper trim.

Quote:
There is actually a thread of mine from last year "Same colors" Cheyenne Super trim " you might like to review too.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592004
I haven´t seen that thread before. It clearly says black were an option for Cheyenne Supers with buckets. Funny the sales bruchures says something else.
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1979 Buick Century Wagon