The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
814Kustoms

63-72 frame swaps

Hello i'm new to the forum but i've used it quite a bit for previous questions on past projects. I've been searching but can't find a definite answer. Here's the scenario.

I have a '68 GMC long bed that is rust free and a '64 GMC short bed that the cab should be junked to be quite honest. What I was wondering is if I would be able to transfer the frames from each? Obviously, I would either get new short bed sides for the '68 or shorten them myself. Possibly, I would even leave the step side bed from the '64 on there and just get the matching step sides off craigslist.

As far as engine/trans combos the '68 is running/driving with a big block 351 V6 and 4 speed manual trans. The '64 has a 4 speed trans and was originally a 230 straight 6. Had a bad #6 cylinder so I pulled it for a V8 swap.

So pretty much would this be a feasible swap with minimal modification? I've read that the '62 and earlier used a different suspension setup up front. Also, the '73 and newer the frame is completely different. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

J.D.
814Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
racerop

Re: 63-72 frame swaps

I can tell you that a 3/4 ton 71 frame is pretty close to a 3/4 ton 73-up. I took the original Eaton H072 rear and replaced it with a gm corporate 14-bolt and the perches matched.

only the passenger side shock need to be moved due to staggered shocks on the newer axle. also the brake line was a bigger size on the original axle so I used the original wheel cylinders and the original brake lines.

The drive shaft was no problem, same length. I needed to order a strap kit for the yolk of the 14 bolt as the yolk is threaded, and the Eaton had a ubolt to bolt in place. The original universal joint fit.

sorry for the extra info but thought it might help.
racerop is offline   Reply With Quote