The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
71ChevySS(straight6)

Arrow Exhaust? 250 I-6

Hey guys, me again. Looking into an exhaust system, and wanted to know what your thoughts are. I [B]REALLY[B] want some 6=8 headers (split the first three cylinders into one header, the last three into another), then I figured I would go with an H or an X pipe to even out the sound. After that, I really want glasspacks, or something with a deep, loud, raspy tone on acceleration and a mellower idle and driving tone. I was thinking some 18'-22" Cherry Bombs or Purple Hornies? Last, but not least, I think pipes at 45s out behind the wheels would look great. Let me know if you think otherwise, or have a glasspack that would sound better. Thanks!
71ChevySS(straight6) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Scottcoda

Re: Exhaust? 250 I-6

I am currently in the middle of getting ready to do my exhaust.. I went with Hedman headers because it was only 168 bucks shipped to my house from Amazon then another $125 for high temp ceramic coating..
I bought a Magnaflow xpipe and plan to use a 2.25 pipe. For the mufflers I am using Magnaflow dual 3 chamber mufflers.. I went with this set up as that was what was recommended by Clifford..
I wanted Clifford headers but the price was not working for me.. I could not swing their exhaust and the famous Clifford intake. So the Clifford intake and the Hedmans with the ceramic coating is what my wallet could do.
I am just waiting for my Clifford intake to arrive so that I can start putting it all together
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
71ChevySS(straight6)

What would sound better with the 250, Purple Hornies or Cherry Bombs? How long do you think they need to be? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Scottcoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71ChevySS(straight6) View Post
What would sound better with the 250, Purple Hornies or Cherry Bombs? How long do you think they need to be? Thanks!
Not sure what sounds better but here is a 250 with the Purple Hornies..

Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
geezer#99

Quote:
Neither one!! Unless you like the sound of a chain saw.
They don't call them 'A buzzin half dozen' for nothing.
Find some good turbo style. Dynamax makes some.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
71ChevySS(straight6)

What about a Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
DreamRyder1963

You will want something like a Thrush turbo, Flowtech Raptor or a turbo muffler from another high quality company. I have glasspacks on my 350 and I would not put them on my 292. They just don't tune the sound enough for a straight six.
http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcoda View Post
the famous Clifford intake. )
If 71ChevySS doesn't mind my asking a question on his thread..

Opinions's on which is better? the Offy or Clifford intake? any advantages or disadvantages to ether? Thanks.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
NavyChief

For headers I went with Langdon. They have been great and are well made (plus any technical support is top notch)! I am also looking at intakes but really if you go with a Offy or Clifford usually depends on the carb you plan on using and the linkage. I am leaning toward Clifford though and going with a cable throttle.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
MARKDTN

A friend in high school had a 69 with 250 six. He put Hedman headers and dual exhaust with cheap glasspacks against his dad's advice. It did not sound good. His dad made him keep it that way as an I-told-you-so.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRyder1963 View Post
You will want something like a Thrush turbo, Flowtech Raptor or a turbo muffler from another high quality company. I have glasspacks on my 350 and I would not put them on my 292. They just don't tune the sound enough for a straight six.
In my opinion, this would be the better option. I had a old Dodge with the 225 slant six, (yah I know - not the same), and had the cherry bomb on it. Sounded horrible and always got in trouble with the noise.

Changed to a turbo oval type muffler and the sound was really good and kept me out of trouble.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
71ChevySS(straight6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
If 71ChevySS doesn't mind my asking a question on his thread..

Opinions's on which is better? the Offy or Clifford intake? any advantages or disadvantages to ether? Thanks.
I don't mind. Kind of curious myself.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
brawley
Easy Does It

I have Hedman headers y piped together 2 1/2" out to a generic flowmaster exiting like stock. it sounds good, better than I thought, not raspy though more like a V8.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
Scottcoda

Quote:
I don't mind. Kind of curious myself.
I just went through this very dilemma and after all the research I will be installing my clifford this week.. The offy is a great product and is a great way to go on a tight budget but I really did not want my carb to sit sideways on the intake.. On a Clifford the carb can sit on the intake as a 4 barrel would on a v-8, making throttle linkage a little less problematic during install also I like the idea off having a heated intake.
I have had only 2 problems with the Clifford thus far.
The first is price, A new Clifford with the 4 barrel adapter plate is $387 shipped. I searched ebay for a few months and mostly could only find the non-heated version (C-4501) when a heated version did appear the auction would soar to almost new pricing.. so i went with just buying a new one..
The second problem I am having with Clifford is that I bought Hedman headers for a hell of a deal on amazon but the Hedman uses a 1/2 inch flange and the clifford intake uses a 3/8 flange so they will not bolt up directly with out a little fabrication.. I am hoping that I just have to grind the exhaust clamps down on one half about an 1/8 of an inch to make them both happy ..
When the intake/headers is installed I will be hooking it up to a 2.25" exhaust that will lead to a X-pipe, dual 3 chamber magnaflows and then finally coming out before the tires on my stepside.. Wish me luck!!! Hope my post helped a little bit
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
swamp rat

Quote:
I just went through this very dilemma and after all the research I will be installing my clifford this week.. The offy is a great product and is a great way to go on a tight budget but I really did not want my carb to sit sideways on the intake.. On a Clifford the carb can sit on the intake as a 4 barrel would on a v-8, making throttle linkage a little less problematic during install also I like the idea off having a heated intake.
The first is price, A new Clifford with the 4 barrel adapter plate is $387 shipped. I searched ebay for a few months and mostly could only find the non-heated version (C-4501) when a heated version did appear the auction would soar to almost new pricing.. so i went with just buying a new one..
The second problem I am having with Clifford is that I bought Hedman headers for a hell of a deal on amazon but the Hedman uses a 1/2 inch flange and the clifford intake uses a 3/8 flange so they will not bolt up directly with out a little fabrication.. I am hoping that I just have to grind the exhaust clamps down on one half about an 1/8 of an inch to make them both happy ..
When the intake/headers is installed I will be hooking it up to a 2.25" exhaust that will lead to a X-pipe, dual 3 chamber magnaflows and then finally coming out before the tires on my stepside.. Wish me luck!!! Hope my post helped a little bit

Great information, thanks for posting!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #16
71ChevySS(straight6)

Quote:
Thanks. Helped quite a bit. I just found a PaceSetter header on eBay with the current bid at $51. It's used (was on his truck for eight years) but I think it would work that, if I manage to get it, I can sandblast it and paint it with a ceramic header coating, then run a Y-pipe to the dual mufflers (I'm thinking Smithys glasspacks now, know anything about those? Also looking at Brockman MellowTones, but would they give me the rasp and deep throaty growl I'm looking for?) and either 45s out behind the wheels or straight out the back, what would look better? Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
71ChevySS(straight6)

Well, that header went up to $185 plus $50 in shipping and handling, so it'll be cheaper just to get a brand-new set off Jegs lol. Should I run an X-pipe so that each tailpipe doesn't sound like an odd-firing three cylinder? If so, where at, in front of or behind the mufflers? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Well, that header went up to $185 plus $50 in shipping and handling, so it'll be cheaper just to get a brand-new set off Jegs lol. Should I run an X-pipe so that each tailpipe doesn't sound like an odd-firing three cylinder? If so, where at, in front of or behind the mufflers? Thanks!
I have the Clifford long tube headers on my 292 L6. For a crossover I have an ''N" pipe behind the SM465. The angle works because the 1-2-3 collector is about 10'' ahead of the 4-5-6 collector. Both pipes exit behind the tires at 45* -- one on each side, first going thru turbo mufflers. Set up has worked great since the mid-'80s.
Whatever you go with X, H or N you want the crossover as close to the collectors as possible. Practical applications like tranny access are important considerations.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #19
Scottcoda

here is a set of Clifford shortys
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111331067483?nav=SEARCH
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #20
71ChevySS(straight6)

Quote:
here is a set of Clifford shortys
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111331067483?nav=SEARCH
Those are a little more than I'm willing to pay.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
GRX

Those Cliffords are a bit pricy but are nice units. That is a better price for them than I could find a few years back.

That said, I have a set of Hedman #69310 on my 250 and are happy with them after 5+ years. The advice about glasspack type Cherry bombs and the like is valid. On an I6 they buzz. You want something deeper. Went with oval turbo type mufflers on my '69 and it sounds good. Virtually silent at idle with a nice rumble at acceleration. One thing to remember about these split type headers on these engines is that you only have three pulses per side, as opposed to four with a V8. Different sound. Especially to the discerning ear.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
Scottcoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Those Cliffords are a bit pricy but are nice units. That is a better price for them than I could find a few years back.

That said, I have a set of Hedman #69310 on my 250 and are happy with them after 5+ years. The advice about glasspack type Cherry bombs and the like is valid. On an I6 they buzz. You want something deeper. Went with oval turbo type mufflers on my '69 and it sounds good. Virtually silent at idle with a nice rumble at acceleration. One thing to remember about these split type headers on these engines is that you only have three pulses per side, as opposed to four with a V8. Different sound. Especially to the discerning ear.
I picked up a set of the same headers you have on sale from amazon.. I was going to install them a week or 2 ago but had some delays. Hopefully this weekend they will be going on, I was wondering did you have any issues with the Hedmans having a 1/2" flange and the intake being 3/8" flange.. did you do any modification to get them to bolt on snug?? Thanks for any help
Old 07-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
71ChevySS(straight6)

An update for you guys.

I grew out of my childish ways, I don't want the glasspacks on it anymore. I'm thinking a good Thrush turbo-style muffler.

I just had the 250 rebuilt, was running rough so I rebuilt the carb, made it a little better for a while, then the intake gasket blew out and it would stutter-step at highway speed. Had massive amounts of antifreeze in the oil, was burning oil like crazy, one cylinder had low compression when I tested them. Was pushing blowby up into the intake through the valve cover breather.

Anywho, I purchased a set of Flowtech split headers. 2.5" collectors on them, should I reduce the pipes to 2.25" or less? or go with the 2.5"?

Rat rod build: 1949 Crosley Station Wagon body on 1993 Dodge D350 chassis, Cadillac 500 powerplant.