The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

L92 / LS3 build options and questions

I Picked this thing up as a "rebuild-able" core. But i have the sneaky suspicion that there is no major issues with the engine and the circumstances behind my acquiring it are vague at best.

Anyways. I am planning on using this in my next build, a 71 c10. I am currently in the midst of doing a 5.3/4l60e in my 86 c10. Building a 67-72 c10 has been a desire for 20+ years now. As usual I end up with a square because they are abundant and cheap. now i have a line on two 71's that are in less than desirable condition but easily build-able, plus the smoking price grabs my attention.

The engine appears to be the L92 variant. it is sitting mostly assembled but without intake manifold and accessories. a Long block. The oil pan appears also to be of the truck variety, and there are some truck coil packs included in the sale but they are probably not from the same vehicle.

the engine casting numbers are: 12584724
and the block is aluminum.
the heads casting numbers are: 5364

here is where the multitude of questions comes in:

I have heard of many people turbo-ing or twin turbo-ing the LS 4.8 - 6.0 iron block engines with great success. but only a few have said anything about the aluminum blocks. are they weaker? would they hold together? I am toying with the twin turbo idea. Although this planned build would be for fun, I would like to build something dependable and not prone to major issues because i want to beat on it once in a while. FUN! not necessarily a daily driver, not a tow rig, not a long distance traveler, not a drag racer other than maybe from light to light in town once in a while. I am talking twisty country roads and gobs of hurry up and get there.

The wire harness is of coarse not included. I have several complete LS swaps sitting on pallets in the shop. they all have harness, ecu, and transmissions. they are all 2004 and older, with the exception of one 2005 4.8L that is long block only. can i use the harness off of any of these other donors on this L92/LS3? would certainly make life easier. I see that the CPS is on the front cover on this one, unlike the other ones i have which are on the back of the block, and i would assume the connector for the reluctor wheel sensor is similar but not the same?

I am hoping that i can just tear the pan and heads off of this engine and yank out the cam and a simple inspection will reveal any known problems. the engine is super clean, like eat off of it clean so i have a hard time believing that the engine is blown up. but even then the 250$ i paid for it would still be worth it, I think?

opinions?

If this was your engine, what would you do with it?

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote