The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #176
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,176
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

-
I installed the Dakota Digital Speedometer converter box so I can use my stock speedometer with the 4l60e. Works like a champ & easy to set up.

I also had the muffler shop install "J" pipes on my tail pipes to get rid of the nasty drone and hollow sound of the Flowmaster knock off mufflers I had them put on it. They work like a champ too!!! Put about 150 miles on it today and I could actually hear the music playing..... I'm a happy camper!

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #177
reichdav
Registered User
 
reichdav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: charelston ny
Posts: 18
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Sold it!
reichdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #178
magicoolbus
Senior Member
 
magicoolbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 515
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Had to research the "J-Tube." AKA Helmholtz tubes. Very interesting idea. Might do the same.
How did the exhaust shop decide what length to use?
__________________
JB from AZ
1969 Chevy Sub K10
1957 Chevy 3200
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #179
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,176
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoolbus View Post
Had to research the "J-Tube." AKA Helmholtz tubes. Very interesting idea. Might do the same.
How did the exhaust shop decide what length to use?

It is a set length depending on your driving habits and RPM of the drone. Mine needed to be 28.25 inches long overall. There are charts in some of the writeups. I will see if I can find one.... If I do I will edit this post and add it.

Edit: Here is the chart. All I did was drive the speed I most often drive, note the RPM at that speed and check the pipe length at that RPM on the chart. I don't drive interstates much so I just set it for the RPM at 60mph and it seems to work pretty good for all speeds. If a person is concerned about multiple speeds the second picture shows an adjustable pipe.

LockDoc
Attached Images
  
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-27-2016 at 11:59 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #180
67 Burb
Registered User
 
67 Burb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 440
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Not nearly exciting as a new paint job, or a new metal floor, but just a little addition to the back end to keep some tools and cleaning stuff in order. A set of vintage luggage for The Burb.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Bob

1967 2wd Burb, 350/TH350, 3.73 posi
67 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:30 PM   #181
HO455
Registered User
 
HO455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 3,941
Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
It is a set length depending on your driving habits and RPM of the drone. Mine needed to be 28.25 inches long overall. There are charts in some of the writeups. I will see if I can find one.... If I do I will edit this post and add it.

Edit: Here is the chart. All I did was drive the speed I most often drive, note the RPM at that speed and check the pipe length at that RPM on the chart. I don't drive interstates much so I just set it for the RPM at 60mph and it seems to work pretty good for all speeds. If a person is concerned about multiple speeds the second picture shows an adjustable pipe.

LockDoc
Thanks for posting this LockDoc. I have spent at least half a day reading up on it. I had heard of Helmholtz's theory years ago but not in this application. This explains the strange tail pipes on a 1968 GTO my friend had back in high school. The stock tail pipes had a one on each side tucked up behind the rear rocker panels next to the frame.
__________________
Thanks to Bob and Jeanie and everyone else at Superior Performance for all their great help.
1967 Burban the WMB,1991 S(stink)-10 Blazer,1969 GTO, 1970 Javelin, 1952 F3 Ford 4X4, 29 Model A, 72 Firebird. 85 Alfa Romeo
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 AM   #182
Franks 72
Active Member
 
Franks 72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 106
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Can they be installed anywhere along the run to be effective? Any pictures of your installation ?
Thanks
Franks 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #183
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,176
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Burb View Post
Not nearly exciting as a new paint job, or a new metal floor, but just a little addition to the back end to keep some tools and cleaning stuff in order. A set of vintage luggage for The Burb.

I'm diggin' the suitcases. I have a couple of older ones that were my moms. Nice touch....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #184
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 18,176
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks 72 View Post
Can they be installed anywhere along the run to be effective? Any pictures of your installation ?
Thanks
I have read where guys installed them before the muffler but most install them after. No pictures (I will see if I can get a couple today) but mine tie into the existing pipe about a foot behind the muffler. Part of it would depend on where there is room for the "J" pipe in your system.....

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #185
HO455
Registered User
 
HO455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 3,941
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks 72 View Post
Can they be installed anywhere along the run to be effective? Any pictures of your installation ?
Thanks
I believe so, but I suspect that less than a foot or so from the tip could cause it not to work as well. Here is a link to a bunch of information along with some of the internet personalities that are thankfully missing here in Suburbia.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ps-solved.html
__________________
Thanks to Bob and Jeanie and everyone else at Superior Performance for all their great help.
1967 Burban the WMB,1991 S(stink)-10 Blazer,1969 GTO, 1970 Javelin, 1952 F3 Ford 4X4, 29 Model A, 72 Firebird. 85 Alfa Romeo
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #186
rocknss
Senior Member
 
rocknss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 402
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Had my local muffler shop install a duel exhaust. It goes over the Trans cross member and through the center cross member. The mufflers are right after the center cross member and are Flowmaster supper 44's. It then curves around the rear coil springs and exits at the rear. I also had a O2 sensor bung welded on for a future EFI sensor. I included two pics of the exhaust, one showing it going through the center cross member and the other showing it going around the rear coil spring. The sound is way better than the PO's exhaust that was on it.

I also replaced the driver and front passenger window regulators and all the window seals.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Steven
69 Chevy C10 Suburban 350 700R4 w/Disc brakes on all four corners
2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS
2004 Chevy Impala LS
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
rocknss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #187
zellway
Registered User
 
zellway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona City, AZ
Posts: 692
Re: Rear Floor installed and Lizard Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4 View Post
Metal floor is done and coated with POR15 and lizard skin. Finally solid enough to mount up the new shoulder harness seat-belts from Juliano's. Feels a little safer with the kids rolling down the highway.
do you have 3 point seat belts on the pass side of the 2nd row seat? I have been thinking about adding some but thought it might be strange to mount it.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
Erik
My 69 suburban http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530626
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #188
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4
Junior Member
 
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 96
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

I came to that same realization on that belt too, would be awkward for the person in that seat and for the people getting past it to the rear seat. I opted for a lap belt for that one and also in the center of the front bench too just in case I needed to pack 7 people in.
Attached Images
 
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #189
1968k20
Can't Have Too Many Suburbans!
 
1968k20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chester,California
Posts: 4,186
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

When I bought my '70 k10 last summer, I had to replace a bent pushrod before I drove it home. As 350's are famous for, the rocker arm stud was pulling out. So, today, I pulled the intake and heads off. Water has been mixing in with the oil, so I am going to rebuild it. Haven't pulled the pan yet, but I have a 350 4 bolt standard block that I will use for my '70! How rare is it to have a 350 4 bolt that's standard!
__________________
1967 White K20 Suburban 292 4spd one owner
1967 Red K10 Suburban 292 4spd
1968 Green C30 Dump Truck 350 4spd "Turpentine"
1971 Bronze K20 Suburban 350/700r4 Factory tilt,tach,buckets "Cupcake"
1972 Olive C20 Suburban 350/350 FOR SALE
1989 Blue K3500 Pickup 454/4 speed
1992 Black K1500 350/700r4 "Big Blacketry"
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #190
1968k20
Can't Have Too Many Suburbans!
 
1968k20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chester,California
Posts: 4,186
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968k20 View Post
When I bought my '70 k10 last summer, I had to replace a bent pushrod before I drove it home. As 350's are famous for, the rocker arm stud was pulling out. So, today, I pulled the intake and heads off. Water has been mixing in with the oil, so I am going to rebuild it. Haven't pulled the pan yet, but I have a 350 4 bolt standard block that I will use for my '70! How rare is it to have a 350 4 bolt that's standard!
Dirty oily water
Attached Images
 
__________________
1967 White K20 Suburban 292 4spd one owner
1967 Red K10 Suburban 292 4spd
1968 Green C30 Dump Truck 350 4spd "Turpentine"
1971 Bronze K20 Suburban 350/700r4 Factory tilt,tach,buckets "Cupcake"
1972 Olive C20 Suburban 350/350 FOR SALE
1989 Blue K3500 Pickup 454/4 speed
1992 Black K1500 350/700r4 "Big Blacketry"
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #191
1968k20
Can't Have Too Many Suburbans!
 
1968k20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chester,California
Posts: 4,186
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968k20 View Post
Dirty oily water
Outside shot
Attached Images
 
__________________
1967 White K20 Suburban 292 4spd one owner
1967 Red K10 Suburban 292 4spd
1968 Green C30 Dump Truck 350 4spd "Turpentine"
1971 Bronze K20 Suburban 350/700r4 Factory tilt,tach,buckets "Cupcake"
1972 Olive C20 Suburban 350/350 FOR SALE
1989 Blue K3500 Pickup 454/4 speed
1992 Black K1500 350/700r4 "Big Blacketry"
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #192
zellway
Registered User
 
zellway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona City, AZ
Posts: 692
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4 View Post
I came to that same realization on that belt too, would be awkward for the person in that seat and for the people getting past it to the rear seat. I opted for a lap belt for that one and also in the center of the front bench too just in case I needed to pack 7 people in.
so you have a lap belt for the pass side and a 3 point for the drivers side in the second row?
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
Erik
My 69 suburban http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530626
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #193
highwinger
Registered User
 
highwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 281
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

I made a AC cooling plenum. Apparently the air from the fans was passing thru the radiator but bypassing the condenser. I need to fill in the lower side too.
Attached Images
 
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #194
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage
 
68SWB4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 10,028
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Picked up a Dana 44 front with discs and some 4x4 rally rollers





68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #195
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4
Junior Member
 
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 96
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellway View Post
so you have a lap belt for the pass side and a 3 point for the drivers side in the second row?
Yes, seemed like the right thing to do at the time :-)
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #196
71_Burb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Los Angeles Ca
Posts: 34
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

I installed a fuel gauge and regulator that fixed an issue I had been chasing since I bought the Burb, engine shake that would show its ugly face at about 1,500 rpm in park / neutral and above 50 mph turns out the carb was being flooded... Idle was always fine .... Happy camper right over here
71_Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #197
highwinger
Registered User
 
highwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 281
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

I replaced my heads this weekend

Over the couple years I've had it, the amount of oil consumption had increased a good amount up to about a quart per tank. It smoked on start up, idle, acceleration...yada yada. It has been very nice NOT to see anything billowing out since.

What a chore though, it took two of us about 12 hours, but a third of that was trying to remount the AC compressor!
Attached Images
  
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #198
Average Joe
Registered User
 
Average Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,036
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwinger View Post
I replaced my heads this weekend

Over the couple years I've had it, the amount of oil consumption had increased a good amount up to about a quart per tank. It smoked on start up, idle, acceleration...yada yada. It has been very nice NOT to see anything billowing out since.

What a chore though, it took two of us about 12 hours, but a third of that was trying to remount the AC compressor!
Cool. Brand and specs on heads? Seat of the pants improvement, when you get time.
__________________
1967 C10 Suburban 454/TH400/3.07's
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #199
highwinger
Registered User
 
highwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 281
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Cool. Brand and specs on heads? Seat of the pants improvement, when you get time.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-152123

specs are available there too. I think all specs are the same as my stock heads except the larger intake valve.

I still fighting retuning, but I have to think it's running smoother across all rpms, but nothing dramatic. It quit smoking cold turkey which was the main objective.
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #200
Average Joe
Registered User
 
Average Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,036
Re: What did you do to your Suburban Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwinger View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-152123

specs are available there too. I think all specs are the same as my stock heads except the larger intake valve.

I still fighting retuning, but I have to think it's running smoother across all rpms, but nothing dramatic. It quit smoking cold turkey which was the main objective.
Thanks!
__________________
1967 C10 Suburban 454/TH400/3.07's
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com