The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2016, 01:25 AM   #1
randy500

72 Cheyenne Super, 400, AT, Tilt, Tach...a SWB is born! (another LWB to SWB)

It happened innocent enough and I don't know how...a random craigslist search, I parked a 71 Custom Deluxe 20 in my backyard back in 2001 or so
I always figured I would fix it up someday so I did a quick search and found this one.

It was complete, running and driving by the time of the photo I already removed the cab light roof skin, the toolbox door and the hood in preparation for my build.

My son talked me into making it a shorty, I planned on just frame-on restoring the LWB using my parts truck in my back yard which is the same color combo...so I bought this from GMCPauls...

Then I posted a want to buy blue interior ad here on the forum and member John H responded with this...

I called him and we settled on a price of $1900 for the complete 72 Sierra Grande, C20 BB 400, TH400, runs and drives great but is rusty.

I will be using the engine and trans from the GMC since someone changed the '72 Super over to 700R4 and its slipping. This 400 is all stock and runs excellent, the TH400 works great too and I have the blue interior I want.

The final truck will be painted black and white with blue or red interior. I will probably also install the A/C from the blue truck too.

It's also a budget build with the help of all the parts I have sold here on the forum...thanks for the sales! I am trying to find a way to post a spreadsheet of the build cost.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
randy500

Re: 72 Cheyenne Super, 400, AT, Tilt, Tach...a SWB is born! (another LWB to SWB)

Quick update here. Blue truck is gone, sold lots of parts here on the board.

I also bought another 72 1/2 ton Cheyenne in September I think. I got it cheap off craigslist, $650 and it has a nice right front inner and outer fender and rust free core support. Originally I was going to part it out and use those parts on my build. I ended up getting it running and it runs so good and has a nice body, I guess it will be my next project. Its light yellow and white, tilt and A/C. Posting up some pictures later.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
72 Super

Re: 72 Cheyenne Super, 400, AT, Tilt, Tach...a SWB is born! (another LWB to SWB)

Sounds like it is going to be a nice build! You guys have a lot of decent trucks in WA.

Ray
72 Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
randy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Super View Post
Sounds like it is going to be a nice build! You guys have a lot of decent trucks in WA.

Ray
Thanks Ray, we are lucky and do have a lot of usable trucks here
Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
randy500

Ok, time to update the build. Here is a couple pictures of the 72 Cheyenne I bought for $650 off craigslist. I was going to use it for parts but ended up getting it running. It runs and drives so good It is my next shorty project. I already bought bedsides, floor supports and front bed panel for wood floor installation.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2016, 11:54 PM   #6
randy500

My original plan when I bought the yellow and white truck was to use it for parts. It had been sitting about 10 years with the engine either half installed or half removed, I couldn't tell...and the only way to determine if the engine and trans was any good was to finish hooking it up, so I did and while doing so it appeared they were installing the engine and trans. The trans is a 700R4 and it was very clean with no fluid in it and no lockup wiring...so I assumed it was a fresh trans and a new engine and trans install. It took a lot of spare parts but to finish the install but the engine runs great and the trans works great too. So it is my next short bed build. As a bonus the small block numbers check out to a 400.
It didn't come with the ralley wheels and tires, I got those locally from a forum member for $250, it really needed them since someone hogged out the lug holes to make the old wheels fit.

Like I said the plans for the truck is another shorty build. I got a steal on bedsides from Summit Racing, they matched Carid price and threw in free shipping so I got both bedsides delivered for less than $900.

The truck is missing the SPID but it is a 1/2 ton Cheyenne with mostly original paint, light yellow and white with small block, A/C and tilt steering column. Most of the A/C equipment is there still. It originally had dark saddle interior but when I got it someone "lowridered" it with metallic blue interior paint and blue tuck and toll vinyl...ugh! I found some parchment door panels and visors so will change it over to parchment and keep the exterior colors.

Last edited by randy500; 12-08-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
randy500

Back to the big block build...it's now shortened and bed and body back on for final fitting.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
randy500

While I had the body off I installed the big block from the blue 72 GMC along with the TH400 trans.

Here is a few pics of the frame getting shortened up.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #9
randy500

Another picture of the frame just prior to body drop. I shortened the driveshaft myself on the metal lathe...cant find the pics of the fame and engine before I installed be body. And more pictures of the body on the shortened frame
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
72 Super

Coming along nicely! And a great find on the yellow and white truck!

Ray
72 Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
randy500

Thanks and I feel the yellow truck was a great find too.
I got another truck last night...the bug has bitten me good...

My wife went to my daughters apartment management (she lives about 4 blocks away) on Wednesday night, near the office she saw a truck and sent me this picture.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #12
randy500

I met my wife in 1982 and at the time I was driving a '68 shorty, ever since then every time she sees one of these trucks she has to point it out to me so that's why she sent me that photo.

Half kidding I told her to put a note on it asking if it was for sale...its the second time in my life I have done this. I used to buy them the old fashioned way, from the newspaper or the auto trader magazine. Craigslist killed that way of buying and I hate craigslist, too many phonies, etc. You used to have to pay to advertise your car or truck for sale and that made most ads legit.

Anyway off my craigslist rant...guy called me back and I went to look at it. He was asking $1000, had it on craigslist a few times, seems I might have noticed it, not sure. Typical craigslist truck, missing much of the original parts and wrong style engine partially installed and missing remainder or stuff to install it.
I offered him $650 then went up progressively to $750 which he had countered at...then I said something about that's a lot of money for a parts truck he declined to sell it to me because he wanted someone to fix it up. Basically he shook my hand and sent me on my way.

I wanted the truck bad. Here is the description.
71 3/4 ton GMC Sierra, Red and White, original paint, rust free doors and fenders, really nice grill and front bumper. Originally was a bucket seat truck (bench now). Has the factory auxiliary fuel tank and bedside tool storage. Good tires. He states the half installed engine is good and it has a brand new Edelbrock intake and new set of headers. I check the engine code and it comes back as a 1994 350 from a truck like he said he got it from.

I really need the doors for the green or yellow truck.

So in the evening I send the guy a text saying thanks for showing it and I include a link to this build thread, said check it out and I would really like to buy the truck.

He texts me back saying he likes the build and agrees to sell it to me. We got snow last night so the truck is covered with that, will post some pictures when the snow melts off.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #13
randy500

Pictures of the '71 GMC
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #14
zicc1835

ok Randy im in for the ride any updates?
jess
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
Low Elco

That ain't bad at all!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #16
randy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
ok Randy im in for the ride any updates?
jess
Thanks for checking out my build. I do need to update this. I really like the 71 GMC I bought. I used to hate the GMC's but they have really grown on me so I decided to build the truck I almost built back in 1994...I'm building it into a 4 door crew cab. I read the other crew cab build threads on here and pulled the trigger.
It really takes a couple trucks to make a crew cab body and frame, and I have a few frames and cans
I have an extra 71 chevy 3/4 ton frame and cab to use for the frame. My plan on making the frame with a wheelbase of 148 inches is to cut each frame in the middle under the cab in the flat area. Will cut one long from front the rear and the other long rear to front and weld together so there is only one joint in the frame. I will carefully measure each from a common point to get the required wheelbase.
The extra cabs will give me roof skins and headliners to weld up the long roof and headliner.
I bought a pretty decent 71 suburban so I would have the doors and A and B pillars. I already have the suburban cut down to fit up the back of a cab to the floor. The suburban "body" is on a rolling cab cart awaiting its new truck cab back section and roof.
I have a 383 I built for my son a few years ago than has less than 100 miles on it, I was gonna use that and the existing th350 trans but decided to go big block n on this truck too, so I am picking up a 69 1/2 ton big block truck this weekend for the powertrain on the crew cab build.
The crew cab is going to be short bed, big block, 3/4 ton GMC, with tilt, tach, and A/C. It will be black and white exterior with blue houndstooth interior. I may now paint the short Cheyenne super back to the original dark olive with olive interior since I have lots of green interior parts.

Will post pics later
Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
crossjo

Looking for some chrome vent windows if you have anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Thanks for checking out my build. I do need to update this. I really like the 71 GMC I bought. I used to hate the GMC's but they have really grown on me so I decided to build the truck I almost built back in 1994...I'm building it into a 4 door crew cab. I read the other crew cab build threads on here and pulled the trigger.
It really takes a couple trucks to make a crew cab body and frame, and I have a few frames and cans
I have an extra 71 chevy 3/4 ton frame and cab to use for the frame. My plan on making the frame with a wheelbase of 148 inches is to cut each frame in the middle under the cab in the flat area. Will cut one long from front the rear and the other long rear to front and weld together so there is only one joint in the frame. I will carefully measure each from a common point to get the required wheelbase.
The extra cabs will give me roof skins and headliners to weld up the long roof and headliner.
I bought a pretty decent 71 suburban so I would have the doors and A and B pillars. I already have the suburban cut down to fit up the back of a cab to the floor. The suburban "body" is on a rolling cab cart awaiting its new truck cab back section and roof.
I have a 383 I built for my son a few years ago than has less than 100 miles on it, I was gonna use that and the existing th350 trans but decided to go big block n on this truck too, so I am picking up a 69 1/2 ton big block truck this weekend for the powertrain on the crew cab build.
The crew cab is going to be short bed, big block, 3/4 ton GMC, with tilt, tach, and A/C. It will be black and white exterior with blue houndstooth interior. I may now paint the short Cheyenne super back to the original dark olive with olive interior since I have lots of green interior parts.

Will post pics later
crossjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #18
randy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossjo View Post
Looking for some chrome vent windows if you have anything.
I posted a set in the parts section.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #19
saddletramp

Hi Im working on my 72 GMC and i came across your build id like to take my roof panel off and clean up under it can you explan how you took yours off i would really appreciate it .Thanks Saddle tramp
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:43 AM   #20
randy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
Hi Im working on my 72 GMC and i came across your build id like to take my roof panel off and clean up under it can you explan how you took yours off i would really appreciate it .Thanks Saddle tramp
Its not practical to take the roof off and then reinstall it. I removed mine because it had roof lights and I have a different roof panel to install.

Here is how I did it though,

I removed the caulking around the sides and front using a propane torch to loosen it up then a scraper and wire wheel to clean it all out.
Then I cut the spot welds with a spot weld cutter on the sides and front.
On the rear the spot welds are hidden in a pinch weld that is further hidden by the headliner...that's why its not practical to remove and reinstall (the hidden pinch weld) You either have to ruin the roof to remove it then find a replacement it and cut the replacement on the other side of the pinch weld.

To reinstall you either glue it with panel bond like I am doing or weld it in and smooth the seam at the rear of the roof.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #21
randy500

Its been a while since I posted an update because I was working on the crew cab. The crew cab is all sorted out so I have returned to this truck. I bought a new core support and front fenders, AMD I think. I installed the fenders on a nice used core support I found after purchasing the new one.
I also worked over one of my hoods and its turning out nice.
I installed the new inner and outer grill, those fit well too.
New front bumper installed too.
Next I am fitting all the chrome trim to ensure it all fits right and drill all the holes prior to paint.
Then I will tear it down for final paint.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #22
randy500

The front sheet metal gaps are good right now and on final assembly I will get them closer this fit up was for overall fit and to ensure the fenders fit the contour of the hood, doors and grill.

When I mounted the cab I used new mounts from GMCPauls, the mounts are nice and almost the same as factory. The gap between the back of the cab and the bed was closer on one side so I had to loosen up the cab, jack it up a bit and pull it forward on one side to even up the bed to cab gap, it now has a nice even gap.
The cab mounts can effect the core support which effects the fender fit at the door. Happy to report the core support and fenders all lined up to the cab/doors nicely.
It really takes a lot of work to make the body fit together nicely and this one has a nice fit all around. Much of the fit is attributed to where the cab is placed on the frame and the height of the cab at all 4 corners.

In the pictures without a hood and with the original green and white fenders I felt the bumper sat too high on one side and believed it to be the frame horn was bent up a bit.
I even bought a pull-back ram for my porta-power to pull the frame horn down.
At that time the core support was rusty under the battery and mounted on used rubber mounts.

When I installed a rust free original core support with new mounts and the new bumper it now sits where it should.
The fender gap with the old core support and fenders was just ok, the new fenders line up great with the doors which must be attributed to the new core support and mounts along with proper height and placement of the cab.

In the past I have struggled with body fit after paint and chipped up some stuff that's why this one got the full test fit prior to paint, the whole body now fits together without any tweaking or struggle, I should be able to paint the front sheet metal off the truck then slip the parts on without damage.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #23
randy500

The new grill - fitment and assembly....

I started with a pretty nice set of grill brackets, they didn't seem to be bent at all.
I bought a cool set of staineless faux rivets to mount it. Here is a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-pcs-10-32...FY49Xi&vxp=mtr
Description: 25 pcs 10-32 x 3/8" grille rivets stainless steel rivet screws with KEP nuts

I didn't have any luck finding the original rivets and if I was to find them I didn't really want to have to set them...these are a great alternative to pop-rivets, very similar look to the factory rivets, the head is too rounded and higher than the rivets but the did install nice and look great. I will paint them black on final assembly to match the factory rivets...its all in the details.

I bought the AMD center grill mounting kit.

The outer aluminum is wider that the center grill and the mounting kit was difficult to get the retainers in the outer grill but when it all was finished it fits well.

As expected the grill when all assembled is wider than the fender opening, usually you can slide one side in place then force the other side which "V's" out the grill in the center, I didn't want to do that for fear of cracking the already stressed inner grill so I loosened up both fenders as much as I could and spread them apart before installing the grill assembly, it worked great.
If the fenders didn't spread naturally I planned on pushing a wood wedge between the core support and fender to make clearance, I didn't have to.
After the grill was installed I tightened up the fenders at the upper core support to pull them back together and then the front bolts, this put less stress on the inner grill with the gradual tightening.
It also created more "V" in the grill which in turn matched the "V" of the hood.

The AMD grill is beautiful but is delicate, I scratched the front with my plastic coated zipper on my coat and I scratched the side with one of the rivets on the pockets of my jeans. I don't know it if scratches easier than and OEM grill or not.

Last edited by randy500; 05-19-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
randy500

Pictures of the grille rivets, they turned out really nice.
Attached Images