The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
SpicedIcePirate

How To Restore Original Paint?

I have an original Hugger Orange 1972 C10, and I was wanting to know if anyone had ideas on how to bring life back to my paint. Truck has nice patina that I'd like to keep, but I'd also like for the paint to shine again.
SpicedIcePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
davepl

Re: How To Restore Original Paint?

If its heavily oxidized and you don't want to mechanically buff it out, I used to use a product from Turtle Wax called "Color Back".

It works chemically. You need a lot of rags to carry away the old oxidized stuff, and you MUST then put a coat of wax on it, but it worked great in the 80s, presuming they haven't changed the formula. It's still available though:

https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/produ...back-16-fl-oz-
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
If its heavily oxidized and you don't want to mechanically buff it out, I used to use a product from Turtle Wax called "Color Back".

It works chemically. You need a lot of rags to carry away the old oxidized stuff, and you MUST then put a coat of wax on it, but it worked great in the 80s, presuming they haven't changed the formula. It's still available though:

That's interesting stuff davepl. I've never seen it before but I'm sure the patina craze is a main factor in them "bringing it back".

The most commonly used approach is the CLR/scotchbrite method, followed by your personal preference of refinishing techniques. Someone just asked this question actually, and I detailed a response to it. That thread can be found here. I also provided further details on the process I chose in my build thread. The specific post can be found here.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
SpicedIcePirate

Quote:

Good thinking, but I'm trying to avoid a wax. At least until I can get some kind of clear coat on my truck, as I have to repaint and age the tailgate and one bedside because they had been replaced at some point.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
SpicedIcePirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
That's interesting stuff davepl. I've never seen it before but I'm sure the patina craze is a main factor in them "bringing it back".

The most commonly used approach is the CLR/scotchbrite method, followed by your personal preference of refinishing techniques. Someone just asked this question actually, and I detailed a response to it. That thread can be found here. I also provided further details on the process I chose in my build thread. The specific post can be found here.
Patina craze, and it saves thousands over getting a good paint job. So I'd rather put money into the mechanical and comfort aspects of the truck so it'll be a better daily driver. Granted, until recently I had been using it as my daily.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicedIcePirate View Post
Patina craze, and it saves thousands over getting a good paint job. So I'd rather put money into the mechanical and comfort aspects of the truck so it'll be a better daily driver. Granted, until recently I had been using it as my daily.
Oh I totally agree, plus I just like the look of faded original paint on an old truck!
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicedIcePirate View Post
Good thinking, but I'm trying to avoid a wax.
Quote:
I'd also like for the paint to shine again
I don't think you can have it both ways.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
LongBox

I want to put in a plug for mechanical buffing, which made a world of difference on the original paint on my 69. I used a Porter Cable random-orbit polisher (forget the model number), and Adams paint correcting buffing compound. Finished up with Adams sealant. Huge difference! And no, I have no financial or business connection to Adams.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's a before/after pic of the original paint on my k1500 - believe a glazing compound was part of the milieu after buffing.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
ElKotze

I personally prefer wet sanding with 1500 and 2000 grit, then cutting compound followed by a machine polish.
Attached Images

'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
rockyrivermark

Quote:
I don't think you can have it both ways.
That's what I was thinking too
Posted via Mobile Device
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKotze View Post
I personally prefer wet sanding with 1500 and 2000 grit, then cutting compound followed by a machine polish.
When you follow up that 2000 or 1500 grit with a 3000 grit it almost shines and makes buffing super easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RNGL9O
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
Jason Banks

I have read that the product to use is Meguiar's M7 Mirror Glaze Show Car Glaze https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UQAM0/

Search online for "Meguiars m7 paint restoration" it looks to work amazing.

Oh yah...I have a nice Porter Cable orbital buffer, but for work like this I have the cheapest harbor freight rotary buffer and have had great results.

Edit: I found one of the articles I was thinking of - https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ge-paints.html
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #14
1972RedNeck

http://colorbackpaintrenewer.com/productinfo.html

Used this on a combine once, worked well, but sold it after a couple years so I don't know how it held up.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
YE9Longhorn30

Just an idea. . But I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound automotive finish restorer on my c30 longbed when I bought it about 7 years ago. Granted it is white. It is in storage quite a bit of the time so not much exposure to the sun, but it has held up very well. If I remember correctly my truck took two bottles of it and I bet it was 16 microfiber rags to wipe up all the oxidation residue after I would slowly go around the truck with my Klutch polisher (using foam pads at medium speed) . Obviously no clear coat to burn through. I just like to take my time and get to know the truck At around $9 a bottle, some rags, and if you already have an electric or air polisher . . .it's not much of an investment or just try a spot that's not obvious and go from there. I wish I would have taken pictures before and after :/ you could have made chalk for using in the classroom with all the oxidation on my truck lol
YE9Longhorn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
garyd1961

After I put my new motor in I noticed the paint on the fenders would bead water where I got oil on them. Even after several weeks and me trying my best to wash the oil off the fenders still beaded water. So I just oiled the whole truck and let it set a couple days. I didn't want to ride around on a greasy truck so I applied a couple coats of Johnson Paste Wax over the oil. Johnson Wax doesn't leave the white residue in the cracks like car wax.
It doesn't shine like a polished and buffed job but it brought the color out and still beads water like new paint after about six months.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #17
Ken B

It would help if we could see a picture of your truck so we know what you are starting with... Here is a picture of my Hugger Orange Longhorn with original paint the day I brought it home. The paint wasn't too bad on my truck because it was never driven in snow and never left outside overnight. With that being said it was a work truck since day one and I doubt it was waxed much, if ever. The paint was a little more faded than the first pic shows. I gave my truck a good bath and dried it off. I then used Meguiar's fine Ultimate rubbing compound with my Dewalt buffer. It came out pretty good. I then followed up using Meguiar's mirror glaze by hand with microfiber towels.. If you don't have much experience I would be very hesitant to wet sand as the paint is pretty thin. Also be very careful around sharp edge's as the paint is very thin! Practice lots of patience.. I often get people that can't believe its still the original paint, but it is...

Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
azle

I wet sanded all the oxidation went down to primer in a couple small places then buffed with rubbing compound. Came out great and I still have to polish and wax. The hood looked like the tailgate. Elbow grease!!

Azle
Attached Images

azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #19
SpicedIcePirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
It would help if we could see a picture of your truck so we know what you are starting with... Here is a picture of my Hugger Orange Longhorn with original paint the day I brought it home. The paint wasn't too bad on my truck because it was never driven in snow and never left outside overnight. With that being said it was a work truck since day one and I doubt it was waxed much, if ever. The paint was a little more faded than the first pic shows. I gave my truck a good bath and dried it off. I then used Meguiar's fine Ultimate rubbing compound with my Dewalt buffer. It came out pretty good. I then followed up using Meguiar's mirror glaze by hand with microfiber towels.. If you don't have much experience I would be very hesitant to wet sand as the paint is pretty thin. Also be very careful around sharp edge's as the paint is very thin! Practice lots of patience.. I often get people that can't believe its still the original paint, but it is...

Loving the Longhorn, if I have another one that isn't the '69 of the same colour that the guy I bought mine from also has, I'd like it to be a longhorn.

I see the criticism of "you can't have it both ways". No wax, and shine, While this is very true I should have been more clear. I would like to not use wax to begin with as I want to clear coat it over the patina and such at some point, to preserve it, because with that I know I'll be able to get whatever finish I want. But if I can make it look good enough without clear coat, life will be much better.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #20
SpicedIcePirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
After I put my new motor in I noticed the paint on the fenders would bead water where I got oil on them. Even after several weeks and me trying my best to wash the oil off the fenders still beaded water. So I just oiled the whole truck and let it set a couple days. I didn't want to ride around on a greasy truck so I applied a couple coats of Johnson Paste Wax over the oil. Johnson Wax doesn't leave the white residue in the cracks like car wax.
It doesn't shine like a polished and buffed job but it brought the color out and still beads water like new paint after about six months.
This is a very interesting idea, I may end up experimenting with this.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #21
SpicedIcePirate

Oh, for a few pictures, check out my ridiculously slow build thread in my signature.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #22
70chevyC-Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
I want to put in a plug for mechanical buffing, which made a world of difference on the original paint on my 69. I used a Porter Cable random-orbit polisher (forget the model number), and Adams paint correcting buffing compound. Finished up with Adams sealant. Huge difference! And no, I have no financial or business connection to Adams.
Porter Cable 3424 is what I thought mine was but this sure looks like it 7424 - and Meguiar's has a Speed Glaze with a light cutting added in which works nice but fairly gentle.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.t...wEsEG&pid=15.1
70chevyC-Ten is offline   Reply With Quote