The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
64jmb

1966 C10 3"coil drop question on the camber alignment

Hey All,
Had a question. Has anyone put on a 3" drop coils in the front of there C10? Mine is a 66 C10. And I am trying to find out if the camber can be set correctly with a 3" drop spring. I am planning on 2.5 inch drop spindles as well, but that is in the tow though...

My main concern is the camber which is set by the coil height. Please let me know if anyone has actually put 3" drop coils on a 66 C10 front end with a V8 and set there front end alignment and it was able to be set correctly thanks....
64jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: 1966 C10 3"coil drop question on the camber alignment

When I did the a arm swap on my 66 I did 2" springs and 2 1/2" spindles. That was the max I could do with 15" wheels and still had to grind the lowers. I put the studs out of the donor truck for the upper a arm. They are a about 3/4" longer than the stock ones and allow the added shims needed to be put in and should allow for the 3" springs.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
chevylookin

Hi 64jmb, now that you have me wondering, I went out and set my wheels as straight as possible and took a good hard look at the camber on my wheels and they do look like I might have a tiny bit of positive camber, which means that my outer corner of the wheels would wear quicker. I still have about 3 shims on each point that I can play around with but I really believe that if I took my truck in to get adjusted, it wouldn't be much. I've always adjusted the toe in/out and all that stuff by feel on my old cars and trucks and for my buddies a few times. It takes a few test drives but I get it to where it "feels" right and then just keep an eye on the tire tread. I had a 54 Caddy one time and rebuilt the whole front end and took it to several places to get it on the rack and computer adjusted. Everywhere I went, I was told they couldn't touch a vehicle so old as it was a liability issue. So, I said fine, adjusted it the best I could by "feel" and eyeballin' it in my driveway and drove it around for years on a set of bias ply whitewalls and never had a problem with uneven tread. Oh yeah, I cut the coils on that giant monster too.
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
64jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
When I did the a arm swap on my 66 I did 2" springs and 2 1/2" spindles. That was the max I could do with 15" wheels and still had to grind the lowers. I put the studs out of the donor truck for the upper a arm. They are a about 3/4" longer than the stock ones and allow the added shims needed to be put in and should allow for the 3" springs.
Jimmy
What is a arm swap? And also so you had to modify something to get the 3" springs in? Chevylookin did not mention he had to do that.. he said he still had 3 shims to work with.... I need to ask my mechanic he said I hd not shims to work with... I need to clarify that as well.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
64jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylookin View Post
Hi 64jmb, now that you have me wondering, I went out and set my wheels as straight as possible and took a good hard look at the camber on my wheels and they do look like I might have a tiny bit of positive camber, which means that my outer corner of the wheels would wear quicker. I still have about 3 shims on each point that I can play around with but I really believe that if I took my truck in to get adjusted, it wouldn't be much. I've always adjusted the toe in/out and all that stuff by feel on my old cars and trucks and for my buddies a few times. It takes a few test drives but I get it to where it "feels" right and then just keep an eye on the tire tread. I had a 54 Caddy one time and rebuilt the whole front end and took it to several places to get it on the rack and computer adjusted. Everywhere I went, I was told they couldn't touch a vehicle so old as it was a liability issue. So, I said fine, adjusted it the best I could by "feel" and eyeballin' it in my driveway and drove it around for years on a set of bias ply whitewalls and never had a problem with uneven tread. Oh yeah, I cut the coils on that giant monster too.

its Joey....Ya my tires would wear on the inside a bit.... yours on the outside? ...He said he had no shim left to work on the camber with at what the springs were cut at. So I am guessing they have to have been cut at 4"inches or more....? Do you think that is what they were cut at? 1.5 coils is what he said he cut them at... thoughts...
Old 05-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Yes. I did it on my 63. I used 3 inch coils and 2.5 spindles. No issues with alignment. There was plenty of stud length for sufficient shims.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
64jmb

Awesome can I see a side view of your truck and is the tire tucked up in the fender well? Send me a picture for the side! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
PGSigns

You will need to cut down the bump stops. An arm swap is when you swap to the 73-87 stuff. I have done this on my last few trucks. It gives little bigger ball joints, tie rods and rubber bushings in the control arm shafts. It can also give you 5 lug and disc brakes at a low cost. A good donor truck gives you the power steering stuff and all the suspension parts.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
64jmb

I already replaced the ball joints they were bad. I have the CCP stuff on my truck now 73-87 6 lug disc brake set up and my conversion is done I am changing them to 2.5 drop spindles and 3 inch drop springs. Someone just said they did this on there 63 and it all just bolted it in. My springs were cut allot like over 4 inches I think 1.5 coils cut each one does that sound right?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
rvrfoot

2 1/2 drop spindles 2 inch coil everything is a bolt on.Name:  DSCN0821.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0820.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  74.7 KB
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #11
rvrfoot

Name:  DSCN0822.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0830.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  65.7 KB
Old 05-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
rvrfoot

Name:  DSCN0823.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  52.9 KB
Old 05-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
64jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Yes. I did it on my 63. I used 3 inch coils and 2.5 spindles. No issues with alignment. There was plenty of stud length for sufficient shims.
Thanks for the info. Here is a picture of my truck and where it sits now.

I really had a few more confirming questions I really needed to be answered before I exchange my springs and install all this.

1. Is the 63 to 66 suspension the same? You had no modifications at all? No cutting or shortening or anything like that?
2. You used 3 "drop springs, and 2 inch drop spindles? And, just installed the 3" drop springs and 2.5 drop spindles and it all went in ok no additional modifications or changes that needed to be made?

What brand were they CPP? Classic performance Parts in CA?

Do you have a picture I can see a side view of your truck? What is the height from the ground to the bottom of your wheel lip moulding? Mine is 26 7/8 inches now and I really want to keep it like that. Is that what yours is?

Let me know thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by 64jmb; 05-20-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64jmb View Post
Thanks for the info. Here is a picture of my truck and where it sits now.

I really had a few more confirming questions I really needed to be answered before I exchange my springs and install all this.

1. Is the 63 to 66 suspension the same? Yes, 63-66 suspensions are the same. I have done it with stock suspensions and also done the 73-87 suspension swaps. It just depends on what parts I happen to have access to at the time. You had no modifications at all? No cutting or shortening or anything like that? Zero mods.
I replaced the spindles and springs. No funny stuff needed.

2. You used 3 "drop springs, and 2 inch drop spindles? And, just installed the 3" drop springs and 2.5 drop spindles and it all went in ok no additional modifications or changes that needed to be made? I used 2.5 inch CPP spindles and a 3" Ground Force spring. Zero mods. Remove and replace. In the end I found the 3" spring to ride too poorly and swapped it to a 2" spring (DJM brand) some time later. The 3" spring was simply too stiff for my tastes. I usually cut the stock springs to get my drop and best ride.

What brand were they CPP? Classic performance Parts in CA? Brands described above. I will mention that CPP spindles are made by Western chassis. Mine came in a CPP box but the spindles had Western cast into them

Do you have a picture I can see a side view of your truck? What is the height from the ground to the bottom of your wheel lip moulding? Mine is 26 7/8 inches now and I really want to keep it like that. Is that what yours is?

Anyway you can call me? 602-527-4480. Let me know thanks
For best details, you should be able to find my build thread in the build thread section. The title is "farm truck" or something like that.

You're stressing out on this deal. It's a proven swap. There are a group of us on here who have done it countless times. Lolife and Scoti come to mind. If it would make you feel better, post these questions over in the suspension section and run it by those guys and see what they say. Just remember, some guys have done the work lots of times so their answers should carry weight. Some guys "have heard" or "have read" and they throw out answers that shouldn't carry the weight of experienced guys. Seriously, post your questions in the suspension section. It will make you feel better to get a wider audience to help with the answers.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
The Rocknrod

Quote:
...What brand were they CPP? Classic performance Parts in CA? Brands described above. I will mention that CPP spindles are made by Western chassis. Mine came in a CPP box but the spindles had Western cast into them ...
Thats funny I bought a set of Western Chassis spindles found out Western and POL are the same company.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:24 AM   #16
64jmb

Quote:
For best details, you should be able to find my build thread in the build thread section. The title is "farm truck" or something like that.

You're stressing out on this deal. It's a proven swap. There are a group of us on here who have done it countless times. Lolife and Scoti come to mind. If it would make you feel better, post these questions over in the suspension section and run it by those guys and see what they say. Just remember, some guys have done the work lots of times so their answers should carry weight. Some guys "have heard" or "have read" and they throw out answers that shouldn't carry the weight of experienced guys. Seriously, post your questions in the suspension section. It will make you feel better to get a wider audience to help with the answers.
Sounds good thanks I did post to the suspension thread. Do you have a picture of your truck in a side view would really like to see the stance. Also do you know by chance what the in inches is on your truck in the front? Mine is 26 7/8 inches let me know thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
Tx Firefighter

I don't have any way to measure. I never keep my trucks very long. Just build and sell. The 63 has been through several owners since I sold it. Last I saw it had air suspension and camper.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #18
64jmb

ok thanks appreciate the help!