The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #226
phillipm

Re: 1978 Russet Metallic 4x4

Things are happening though! That's awesome.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #227
buffydores

So here's the much more appropriate plaque produced by Phillip. Phillip uses "laser beams". Notice we went with fillets instead of right angles and chamfers. No glossy mess. Looks like a freakin' plaque. Made of adhesive backed metallic material. I asked Phillip to make me two in case little fingers do their damage in the future.

buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #228
buffydores

And the comparo.....

One looks like a sticker. The other does not. Looks like brushed aluminum.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #229
phillipm

You get it applied to the dash yet???
Old 08-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #230
buffydores

Not yet. Waiting on the tranny and transfer case to get back and installed. Probably two weeks.

I did get an update today on the transfer case. Apparently the NP203 was in pretty good shape.

Last edited by buffydores; 08-18-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #231
buffydores

The transfer case and transmission are rebuilt and ready to go.

The shop is in the process of installing the twin stick kit for the NP203. The factory lever mechanism is just a messy beast. The Offroad Design kit is much cleaner. I'll loose the 4x4 indicator light feature, but I think I'm competent enough to figure it out without the light.

The TH350 is now built for a little hammering with the RamJet 350.

Probably have it buttoned up at the first of next week.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #232
phillipm

Man that looks great!
Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #233
buffydores

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
Man that looks great!
I talked to Verne at Transfer Case Express. He's their old school guy that works on the NP203s. Apparently he cut his teeth early on rebuilding 203s and 205s. He's a big fan of the 203 case. Although heavier and longer than the 205s, the full time abilty and toughness make it a formidable box. Speaking from experience, I know the kind of abuse that me, my father and his friends dealt out. This box never failed. Verne only needed to replace some bearings, seals and a shifting fork/collar (which I can't perceive anything wrong with). Think about that. This truck has who-knows-how-many miles on it, and the meat is in great shape. Feels real good. While I was checking in at the shop, I dropped off a B&M 12 Bolt Cover for them to install out back. I had it powdercoated satin black for it to blend in. I'd prefer a Hickey cover, but I can't wait forever. Ultimately, this is probably a better cover anyway.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #234
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
I'd prefer a Hickey cover, but I can't wait forever. Ultimately, this is probably a better cover anyway.
Unfortunately that's probably true!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #235
buffydores

Still looking like next week. Checked in for updates. They're cleaning up the hard fuel lines and various connections. Going premium semi metallic on the brakes. Front pads were pretty worn. One of the rears was leaking. Twin stick is installed. Needed to offset slightly to the right.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #236
phillipm

Quote:
Still looking like next week. Checked in for updates. They're cleaning up the hard fuel lines and various connections. Going premium semi metallic on the brakes. Front pads were pretty worn. One of the rears was leaking. Twin stick is installed. Needed to offset slightly to the right.
I've had multiple pads on the Blazer since getting it done. They all dusted like crazy except for these!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1029451&jsn=2
Old 09-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #237
buffydores

Why so many sets of pads?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #238
phillipm

First set came with the truck they were 16 years old and didn't want to stop. Second set would leave my wheels literally BLACK after 2 days of driving. Those were the NAPA Gold ones. And then this set I've got now. Love them. It's weeks of driving before I see dust starting to build and that might even just be road dust.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #239
buffydores

Quote:
First set came with the truck they were 16 years old and didn't want to stop. Second set would leave my wheels literally BLACK after 2 days of driving. Those were the NAPA Gold ones. And then this set I've got now. Love them. It's weeks of driving before I see dust starting to build and that might even just be road dust.
That's cool. I've had good experience with the ACDelco semi-metallics. Those suckers can grab. Since I don't run chrome, dust has been less of an issue.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #240
buffydores

They're finishing up the front driveshaft and everything should be done.

So here's a little tidbit. I had an ulterior motive in going through the major components on the Blazer. Back in March, I had a wild hair and decided to put in an application to the 2017 Copperstate Overland. Space is limited on these glamping overland trips, but I couldn't think of anything more epic I could reasonably experience with the Blazer and a good friend. Thus, I wanted to make sure we didn't crap out in the desert.

Well.....I just got word today that my application was accepted. So, for the next few weeks, I'll be in a frenzy prepping the Blazer before shipping it off to Arizona. I would love to hear everyone's input on preparations, because I do admit, outside of some basic camping, I'm pretty green to this scene.

Last edited by buffydores; 09-11-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #241
buffydores

Almost there folks. The shop decided to add limiting straps for the front suspension because of the amazing droop available with the custom ORD springs. We also added some more travel to the driveshaft because it was pulling loose at full droop. Everything else has been tested to their satisfaction. I'll get my hands on it at the end of this week and put some miles on it.

Last edited by buffydores; 09-13-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #242
phillipm

Quote:
Almost there folks. The shop decided to add limiting straps for the front suspension because of the amazing droop available with the custom ORD springs. We also added some more travel to the driveshaft because it was pulling lose at full droop. Everything else has been tested to their satisfaction. I'll get my hands on it at the end of this week and put some miles on it.
How's the new fuel system doing??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #243
buffydores

Supposedly well, but I want to drive it myself for a bit.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #244
buffydores

Hey Folks: Got the rig back. I put 50 miles on it today and checked things over. It bled a quart of transfer case fluid over everything because the speedo cable was not even finger tight. Easy fix, but highlighted an interesting tidbit. The end housing was clocked clockwise about 90 degrees from where I remember it before the rebuild. Wonder if that's the proper setup. This transfer case had been worked on before so who knows what happened.

The rear diff cover is dope. I like the stiffening bolts that keep things from flexing inside. I had it powdercoated black because, unless it is a Hickey cover, I really don't want too much attention there. The magnetic drain plug is a nice feature.

They got the new fuel setup installed and the driveline slop is gone...so silky smooth. I'm afraid the bill for this work was aggressive; however, quality mechanic work rarely comes cheap. Wish I had the time to do the work myself, but three young children and the need to get it ready for the Copperstate Overland trumped shop time for me this time.

Last edited by buffydores; 09-16-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #245
phillipm

Dude I concure. No way GM would've put the cable down like that!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #246
buffydores

After reviewing a bunch of pictures, it looks like most kick out left(driver side) underneath and pointed slightly up, but, there are plenty of exceptions in all kinds of directions. When I reinstall my right angle speedo adjuster (1.25:1), the cable will be entering in that same direction.

Two more pics. The shop installed a charcoal canister to eat fumes. Nice out of the way location. You can see some transfer case fluid that got on the vent hose for the rear diff.

And here's the twin stick installed:

Last edited by buffydores; 09-16-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #247
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Dude I concure. No way GM would've put the cable down like that!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, that's not right. Mounted like that, you can shear the ratio adapter off and dump ATF on the ground, damaging your case in the process so the unit's no longer rebuildable. I'd make them fix that. Sorry to chime in with a negative, but that needs addressing. Looking forward to seeing your truck on the trail event and want to see you finish it too!

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:25 AM   #248
buffydores

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
Yeah, that's not right. Mounted like that, you can shear the ratio adapter off and dump ATF on the ground, damaging your case in the process so the unit's no longer rebuildable. I'd make them fix that. Sorry to chime in with a negative, but that needs addressing. Looking forward to seeing your truck on the trail event and want to see you finish it too!
I'm not as concerned. There is quite a bit of clearance there. I'll holler at the rebuilder to get his input on the matter.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #249
buffydores

I added this tie down centered in the rear of cargo area. Between the rear seat frame and the tire carrier, I have some good points to attach to, but nothing all the way to the rear. I'm never gonna have anything truly heavy back here, so this sucker should do the trick. I even added a rubber isolator to prevent rattling.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #250
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I know that's centered high in the middle behind the tank skid plate, but given the level of excellence you've set and achieved on the rest of the truck, I wouldn't keep and own someone else's error now.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote