The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #26
geezer#99

Re: Recurring Crate 350 Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73kay View Post
Take a look at it after the timing/dizzy are verified.
What are you gonna use as a piston stop?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #27
AcampoDave

Earlier when I was wondering a about your clutch, I was actually thinking the problem could be the pressure plate or disc. Once, I had troubles stabbing my tranny and I let it hang there a while just so I could rest and calm down. Thing was, it wasn't fully stabbed and I ended up damaging my clutch either from the suspended weight of a partially inserted tranny hanging there by the input shaft, OR it was me being mad as hell in the sweltering heat trying to force that tranny to stab. Either way stuff got tweaked and the pressure plate broke a spring. Hell, maybe the disc got bent too I can't remember now as it was like 30 years ago. Why don't you post up some pics of the internals of your distributor when you yank it out. Maybe we can see something that may be outta whack with it.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #28
73kay

Hey folks, just wanted to follow up to this. Broke down and bought a new dizzy and edelbrock 1406. Installed the dizzy and set timing to 10 or 8 BTDC, still had some symptoms. Installed the carb and voila! Truck drove like a beast. So something about the carb was causing my symptoms which included weird noise/slight vibration almost with a heavy foot and if I downshifted, some scavenging. It just ran like crap. The old carb had 1000 miles on it and always had a filter.

I didn't adjust anything on the new carb and it worked great. It's now dialed in and I am happy, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I also bumped initial timing back up to 16BTDC. Truck is awesome now and hope this helps anyone in the future.

1953 3100 235 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #29
mattfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73kay View Post
Hey folks, just wanted to follow up to this. Broke down and bought a new dizzy and edelbrock 1406. Installed the dizzy and set timing to 10 or 8 BTDC, still had some symptoms. Installed the carb and voila! Truck drove like a beast. So something about the carb was causing my symptoms which included weird noise/slight vibration almost with a heavy foot and if I downshifted, some scavenging. It just ran like crap. The old carb had 1000 miles on it and always had a filter.

I didn't adjust anything on the new carb and it worked great. It's now dialed in and I am happy, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I also bumped initial timing back up to 16BTDC. Truck is awesome now and hope this helps anyone in the future.
Thanks for posting the follow up and sharing the details of what finally fixed it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 AM   #30
nikwho

Glad that you got your truck running well again! It's always nice to come back to a thread after a while and hear that OP got it fixed and to close the loop on what it was to help others that find the thread that are experiencing similar symtoms.