The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
expedition

fauxtina paint job

hi I am thinking about a fauxtina paint job for my 64 gmc ,I would like the truck flat black with red showing here and there .I am looking for advice on how to proceed with this combination ,I am not a bodyman or painter but I am doing this build on my own for personal satisfaction .If anyone as done this before I would apriciate a couple of tips Thanks folks
expedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
Jferrante

Re: fauxtina paint job

I personally dont think they come out very good unless you put some serious effort into it...hows your paint now?
Jferrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
expedition

Well I got a brand new boxe all the panels and tail gate factory primed black and new oak wood (not Stained yet) with new stainless strips , my cab gonna be sand blasted so no color yet,my fenders I sanded down to bare metal and I got 2 hood to choose from one is red and other one got camouflage spray bomb paint on so wich ever one I pick gonna be sanded anayway ,so I don't don't really have a color per say right now just a bunch of parts .I like some of the fauxtina stuff I seen on youtube but I don't have the thecnique .The idea of my truck is kinda of rough looking on the outside but new and strong on the inside kinda of like me .
Old 01-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446308

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrante View Post
I personally dont think they come out very good unless you put some serious effort into it...hows your paint now?
Putting in serious work http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=732699
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
hewittca

For me, I either love or hate fauxtina and there's one thing that separates the two for me: whether or not I can tell at first glance that it is faked. That's just personal preference of course. The two most obvious giveaways that it's faked are when the paint layer colors showing through are not factory correct, or when the spots showing through the top layer of paint are really blotchy and in areas that would never really have natural patina (like a random spot in the middle of the door). I would study the typical wear patterns on naturally patina'd trucks and try to match the ones you like most as closely as possible.

The bed on my truck is fauxtina, but I tried to mimic original patina on the cab as much as possible. That meant using black sealer/primer and single stage color like the factory paint. Then I slowly sanded through the paint in typical wear areas until the primer started showing through as much as I thought looked natural. I started with 400 grit and worked down to 2000 wet. Then I used 000 steel wool to give it a slight sheen to match the look of the original paint on the cab.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #7
hotrodder

Thumbs up Re: fauxtina paint job

To get the "correct" look the primer color needs to be what is showing thru. On some years the cabs were red oxide primer, and the front sheet metal was black primer as were the bed parts. As was mentioned the wear thru patterns need to be where it would naturally be. Have fun with it, it will turn out cool.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:26 AM   #8
nail pounder

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...rt-5-faux-tina

I have not tried this method, but on this episode of trucks they did a nice fauxtina job. I wet sanded my existing paint on my 58 to show the color below and drove it for a year like this before I got around to stripping it off. I actually got a lot of compliments on it.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
expedition

Wow I watch the link you posted ,that was exactly what I was looking for awesome ,since I am not a painter and body man I am going for the fauxtina look for sure now .Thanks guys that made my day
Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
AcampoDave

Come back when you've got some progress pics
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #11
X24

here is one i saw the other day.
Patina paint job:
https://youtu.be/3XjOcmOv6MY

1964 chevy c10 step side
230ci straight six
Auto power glide
X24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
darkhorse970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
For me, I either love or hate fauxtina and there's one thing that separates the two for me: whether or not I can tell at first glance that it is faked. That's just personal preference of course. The two most obvious giveaways that it's faked are when the paint layer colors showing through are not factory correct, or when the spots showing through the top layer of paint are really blotchy and in areas that would never really have natural patina (like a random spot in the middle of the door). I would study the typical wear patterns on naturally patina'd trucks and try to match the ones you like most as closely as possible.

The bed on my truck is fauxtina, but I tried to mimic original patina on the cab as much as possible. That meant using black sealer/primer and single stage color like the factory paint. Then I slowly sanded through the paint in typical wear areas until the primer started showing through as much as I thought looked natural. I started with 400 grit and worked down to 2000 wet. Then I used 000 steel wool to give it a slight sheen to match the look of the original paint on the cab.

Very nice work on the bed!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote