The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #26
Sixball

Re: New engine for 94 Silverado

I put a 454 in my 94 2WD 1/2 Ton Sierra Short Bed. Yanked the computer, carbed it. Turbo 400 and Posi. I had to get a drive shaft made. Bolted right in

Sixball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #27
72LSLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosocko View Post
If you're asking me.. I brought this to his attention and he pretty much said that
"some people follow directions, and some don't. And expect PERFECT RESULTS.."

It took a couple calls/emails, but finally got to actually speak to him for a while and by me also having a side business of offering a service to the public, could see where he's coming from.
He was polite to me, but basically told me that my combination of parts would take a long time and LOTS of cash to figure it out, and then might not be all that happy with results.

If you're going pretty much "STOCK", I think he would be able to suit you. But like anything that requires and ingredient list, the more you add, the worse it can get in a hurry. And can send you down rabbit holes that are going to get expensive.

Just keep it simple. Cold/ram air/ Header(s) are usually the first 'changes' people make.
A GOOD close friend used him and it took a couple chips, but ended up totally happy and suggested to me to do the same. (it's just I'm more hard headed and can't leave well enough alone)

BUT... What are you starting with? A P.O.S from C/L, or a vehicle that you know/have history/service knowledge since new? TOTALLY stock or NO? (then, what parts aren't?)
ALL sensors and ECU playing nice together?
ALL vacuum lines in good shape?
Good Grounds and wiring not all chewed up by ___? (DAMN idiots that install car alarms are one major culprit of electrical gremlins)
How many miles/years on _____ etc.. (sure it might be a low mileage, mint vehicle that sat in a air conditioned warehouse. but if the fuel lines/system are all gummed up well..)
Remember, they're pushing 30+yrs old. AND, even fuel ratings can play a part.

Gotta jet.
e
rockosocko,
I found this truck for my brother thru a guy at work. His mom was the original owner; she was under 5 feet tall so literally a little old lady. She only drove it to church and the grocery store. 31k original miles on it! The body is rust free. There was an issue with one of the spark plugs always fouling every couple of thousand miles. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap etc for him. It’s using a lot of oil, so I had him take it to a dude (my brother lives 4 hours away) to do a compression test. The one cylinder that kept fouling was leaking past the rings. For the amount it was going to cost to remove the engine and do the labor the mechanic said he should just get a new long block and reuse all of his accessories. He’d like to add headers, dual exhaust and a cam. I think he should just do the headers and duals with a cold air intake. Is a chip required for these upgrades?
I think he should also slam it (like my 72) but he’s 66 and doesn’t like slammed trucks.
His truck is super nice and worth upgrading, that’s for sure.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #28
sntrym95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LSLB View Post
rockosocko,
I found this truck for my brother thru a guy at work. His mom was the original owner; she was under 5 feet tall so literally a little old lady. She only drove it to church and the grocery store. 31k original miles on it! The body is rust free. There was an issue with one of the spark plugs always fouling every couple of thousand miles. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap etc for him. It’s using a lot of oil, so I had him take it to a dude (my brother lives 4 hours away) to do a compression test. The one cylinder that kept fouling was leaking past the rings. For the amount it was going to cost to remove the engine and do the labor the mechanic said he should just get a new long block and reuse all of his accessories. He’d like to add headers, dual exhaust and a cam. I think he should just do the headers and duals with a cold air intake. Is a chip required for these upgrades?
I think he should also slam it (like my 72) but he’s 66 and doesn’t like slammed trucks.
His truck is super nice and worth upgrading, that’s for sure.
You'll need a chip for the cam, but everything else is bolt on. You will see a difference with the headers, but the TBI already has a cold air intake from the factory, but you can remove the box and put a straight pipe in between the air cleaner and the fender pickup. The air comes in from behind the parking lamp on the passenger side, through the fender and out over the wheel well.

Dual exhaust might be an issue as well since the TBI computer was designed with a single O2 sensor, so you'll need to accommodate for that. A single 3" exhaust is plenty for the TBI motor.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #29
72LSLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntrym95 View Post
You'll need a chip for the cam, but everything else is bolt on. You will see a difference with the headers, but the TBI already has a cold air intake from the factory, but you can remove the box and put a straight pipe in between the air cleaner and the fender pickup. The air comes in from behind the parking lamp on the passenger side, through the fender and out over the wheel well.

Dual exhaust might be an issue as well since the TBI computer was designed with a single O2 sensor, so you'll need to accommodate for that. A single 3" exhaust is plenty for the TBI motor.
He’s going with the stock TBI long block. I bought him an Airaid cold air system and ordered the GP100S-c Gibson headers for him. What should he have done with the EGR hookup as these headers don’t look to come with one?
He’s trying to decide what exhaust to have installed. He wanted to go 3” duals and I told him no way should he do that, not required for that little horsepower and it would kill low end torque. I’m thinking a 2.5 from the headers welded to a 3 inch that runs to a Magnaflow muffler and then if he wanted something different come out of the muffler with a Y that has 2 chrome pipes out to the rear bumper.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 AM   #30
Mr_Rich

Quote:
He’s going with the stock TBI long block. I bought him an Airaid cold air system and ordered the GP100S-c Gibson headers for him. What should he have done with the EGR hookup as these headers don’t look to come with one?
He’s trying to decide what exhaust to have installed. He wanted to go 3” duals and I told him no way should he do that, not required for that little horsepower and it would kill low end torque. I’m thinking a 2.5 from the headers welded to a 3 inch that runs to a Magnaflow muffler and then if he wanted something different come out of the muffler with a Y that has 2 chrome pipes out to the rear bumper.
EGR is not an issue as far as exhaust headers are concerned. A '94 should be similar to my '89 and the EGR ports off the intake side of the cyl. head to the EGR port on the intake manifold. I have a 350 w/headers in place of my orig. 305 and I have a Hypertech chip that was required to make the truck driveable.
I was just wondering; what year did the Vortec heads debut? Was it after '95 or am I mistaken?
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C

Last edited by Mr_Rich; 02-04-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #31
72LSLB

Is a throttle body spacer worth adding or just a gimmick?
AFE silver bullit throttle body spacer is a choice on realtruck.com (where I'm purchasing
the headers)
Old 02-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #32
sntrym95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
EGR is not an issue as far as exhaust headers are concerned. A '94 should be similar to my '89 and the EGR ports off the intake side of the cyl. head to the EGR port on the intake manifold. I have a 350 w/headers in place of my orig. 305 and I have a Hypertech chip that was required to make the truck driveable.
I was just wondering; what year did the Vortec heads debut? Was it after '95 or am I mistaken?
1996 was the first year for the 350 Vortec in the trucks.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #33
sntrym95

Quote:
Is a throttle body spacer worth adding or just a gimmick?
AFE silver bullit throttle body spacer is a choice on realtruck.com (where I'm purchasing
the headers)
Technically it creates more space in the plenum so it can help, but if you can't get the air/fuel mixture to the cylinders (the TBI heads suck for flow), then it won't make a difference. On a TBI with stock heads, don't waste your money.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #34
sntrym95

Quote:
Like Mr. Rich said, the EGR is on the intake if you are reusing the stock TBI intake.

Have the headers go to the stock Y-pipe and converter, then go 3" all the way back. You don't need any more than that for a TBI, or even a stock Vortec.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #35
Richardman1992

Have you guys considered going with the EBL flash? Don't even need to worry about wasting time burning a chip anymore. If you don't need to worry about emmissions, I'd just go with a vortec carb intake and get an adapter for the TBI and do the tbi mods while you're at it
1987 Iroc LB9/auto/G92- rusty 600 dollar future beater
1991 5.0 Fox Body- 200 dollar running driving project
Richardman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
Kudzupatch

Can do the Moates Ostrich chip emulator for about half the price.

http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote