The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Ekliptix

Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Part 1 Video https://youtu.be/ZOTmKqEPsHo

Moving the truck into the shop

Old vs New

On the engine. Vacuum and throttle/trans cable connected.

3/4" hole drilled for O2 sensor. It's 10+ degrees above horizontal and near the collector.

Derp. Included 2.5" exhaust clamps for O2 sensor mounting don't fit my 3" exhaust. I'll need to go buy some 3" clamps:

Draining some coolant to install the new temp sensor

Temp sensor install location. May need to relocate it as I've read the reading back there can be too low.

To be continued!
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
dennislbrooks

Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Am subscribed -- your dog may want another basketball.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Aus69c20

Watching with interest. Great truck by the way.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

I'm in for the ride, been looking at this for my 84
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
FRCvette

You will really like the sniper.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
aerotest

Subscribed. Planning on the same thing for my 396. Looking forward to see if the stock cleaner fits. BTW....do you know what brand those headers are?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotest View Post
Subscribed. Planning on the same thing for my 396. Looking forward to see if the stock cleaner fits. BTW....do you know what brand those headers are?
For the stock air cleaner, I may need a small riser. We'll see.

Headers, here you go: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1hkr/overview/
They fit well.A little low at the collector but liveable.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
Ekliptix

Got the fuel tank drained in to jerry cans.
Removed the mech fuel pump.
Assembled the elec fuel pump and filters.

Found a factory return line I intend to use. Need to get a fitting to step down from the 3/8" fuel hose to the 5/16" steel return line going into the fuel tank.

I intend to keep the 2 3/8" hoses (green and red below) next to each other, along the frame rail before running them up the firewall above the transmission, around the distributor into the EFI unit. I'd use the factory hard lines along the frame except they terminate way at the front by the radiator, not where I want to start running the 3/8" hose. The headers will be approx 3" away from the fuel line at the nearest point. I suspect this is OK for temps, but I'll look into something to wrap parts of the fuel hose with to protect it from heat as an extra step: https://www.amazon.ca/Heatshield-Pro...70_&dpSrc=srch

Here's the plan:

High flow mech fuel pump vs electric fuel pump.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 02-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Leonard60

Interesting subscribed
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Okie528

Beautiful Truck!

Love my sniper in my '72 Blazer 350sbc, cold starts, warm starts, throttle response, reliability! You look like you are taking your time and going about it the right way. Not sure if the return line step down will cause a problem, seems like I read something on that once, you may want to research it a little. I ran new 3/8" lines for both of mine. You probably could remove your 5/16 dump on the fuel sending unit, drill and install a 3/8" if you had too.

Here's a little unsolicited, hopefully welcome advice, might save you some time and frustration:

1. Be patient, use the Holley tech support, they were very helpful getting it set up. Let them help you, if you have a question, they have answer. I called twice before I ever started installing mine, and a few times after.

2. There's an idle table that is not listed in the install instructions that they will walk you through if you cant get your idle where you want it.

3. I always let the fuel pump cycle before I start it, warm or cold and it will bump off in a 1/2 sec every time. Restarts can stumble if you don't. (I'm using an in-tank pump so that may be a difference)

4. There's a common whistle on these in acceleration, which they will say is normal characteristic, (it's annoying, unless you like the sound of City bus turbo's). You can totally get rid of it by using the Canton part# 85-154 ($30 on amazon) 1/4" 4 hole Phenolic Carb spacer. I tried a 1/2" open spacer first and caused a big vacuum leak which led to more issues. I'm a big believer in the 1/4" Canton, its proven to work with this set up, and shouldn't cause any clearance issues, I found a lot of guys were using it to eliminate the whistle.

5. Tom Kise with Holley tech has an 11 part post that goes through the most commons issues and how to avoid them on the Holley Sniper EFI owners and tech Facebook group listed under files. Great info!

I had a few issues to work through, some due to installation mistakes, but once I got it straightened out she's been great ever since. I even turned the learning off after a few weeks (Holley Tech recommendation) and unplugged my monitor and threw it in the console. I found myself obsessing over the monitor and wasn't crazy about the look of it, just like an original looking dash.

This is just my experience, I learned a lot from guys that had already gone down this road, reading ton's of threads and facebook post, like I'm sure you are. You'll read a lot of bad stuff on the Sniper and Fitech efi's, but installed correctly they will do exactly what they are meant to do, improve reliability, throttle response, and gas mileage. But, if your engine was having problems and not running right to begin with, it might not run right with efi. If I can be of any help PM me anytime.
Okie528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
bill3rail

Nice pictures and detail...It gets me thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
Am subscribed -- your dog may want another basketball.
I thought I would be the only one to spot that!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
Boog
laying low

It will be interesting to compare differences in how it runs, carb vs sniper. I'm sure you made baseline mileage and acceleration notes.
I had a dog once that loved to chew on my football. He finally unlaced it and popped the inner tube.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie528 View Post
Beautiful Truck!

Love my sniper in my '72 Blazer 350sbc, cold starts, warm starts, throttle response, reliability! You look like you are taking your time and going about it the right way. Not sure if the return line step down will cause a problem, seems like I read something on that once, you may want to research it a little. I ran new 3/8" lines for both of mine. You probably could remove your 5/16 dump on the fuel sending unit, drill and install a 3/8" if you had too.

Here's a little unsolicited, hopefully welcome advice, might save you some time and frustration:

1. Be patient, use the Holley tech support, they were very helpful getting it set up. Let them help you, if you have a question, they have answer. I called twice before I ever started installing mine, and a few times after.

2. There's an idle table that is not listed in the install instructions that they will walk you through if you cant get your idle where you want it.

3. I always let the fuel pump cycle before I start it, warm or cold and it will bump off in a 1/2 sec every time. Restarts can stumble if you don't. (I'm using an in-tank pump so that may be a difference)

4. There's a common whistle on these in acceleration, which they will say is normal characteristic, (it's annoying, unless you like the sound of City bus turbo's). You can totally get rid of it by using the Canton part# 85-154 ($30 on amazon) 1/4" 4 hole Phenolic Carb spacer. I tried a 1/2" open spacer first and caused a big vacuum leak which led to more issues. I'm a big believer in the 1/4" Canton, its proven to work with this set up, and shouldn't cause any clearance issues, I found a lot of guys were using it to eliminate the whistle.

5. Tom Kise with Holley tech has an 11 part post that goes through the most commons issues and how to avoid them on the Holley Sniper EFI owners and tech Facebook group listed under files. Great info!

I had a few issues to work through, some due to installation mistakes, but once I got it straightened out she's been great ever since. I even turned the learning off after a few weeks (Holley Tech recommendation) and unplugged my monitor and threw it in the console. I found myself obsessing over the monitor and wasn't crazy about the look of it, just like an original looking dash.

This is just my experience, I learned a lot from guys that had already gone down this road, reading ton's of threads and facebook post, like I'm sure you are. You'll read a lot of bad stuff on the Sniper and Fitech efi's, but installed correctly they will do exactly what they are meant to do, improve reliability, throttle response, and gas mileage. But, if your engine was having problems and not running right to begin with, it might not run right with efi. If I can be of any help PM me anytime.
Thanks! I ordered the spacer on amazon. I'll be using these other inputs you provided too.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #15
timski69gmc

Subscribed
timski69gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
Tiger Joe

I would be careful using the factory 5/16 return. Don't the directions specifically say to run the return entirely in 3/8?

I installed the sniper on a 79 c-30, and i was going to do the same thing- use a sending unit with a return. its been awhile but swear I got the advice not to do that. I ended up using the bulkhead fitting holley supplies and drilled into my gas tank.

if you were deadset on using the factory return line, I would take the factory metal line off completely and connect the rubber hose right to the sending unit.

edit- PS what headers are you running? looking for some for my lowered big block

Last edited by Tiger Joe; 02-09-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #17
TXgearhead67

I’m in for info on it. Good video and sweet truck. I think I’m gonna do my seats like you have in the houndstooth.
TXgearhead67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 AM   #18
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie528 View Post
I'm running a FiTech on my 468 BBC. The 468 really woke up with the FiTech. I totally agree with you the majority of issues are user caused and EFI will not be the cure to all existing problems.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
SIXTY9

One question, are you using a single or dual plane intake with the Sniper system?
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
I would be careful using the factory 5/16 return. Don't the directions specifically say to run the return entirely in 3/8?

I installed the sniper on a 79 c-30, and i was going to do the same thing- use a sending unit with a return. its been awhile but swear I got the advice not to do that. I ended up using the bulkhead fitting holley supplies and drilled into my gas tank.

if you were deadset on using the factory return line, I would take the factory metal line off completely and connect the rubber hose right to the sending unit.

edit- PS what headers are you running? looking for some for my lowered big block
Regarding 5/16 return line, Holley's recommendation is a 3psi max pressure loss along the return line to the tank. In my case, the return line will be about 7' of 3/8" rubber hose into about 4' 5/16" factory steel hose to the tank. The pressure loss will be all friction (not hyrostatic), so I can do a calculation of the flow rate the return line would require to create a 3psi pressure loss. I do related stuff for the oil and gas industry within pipeline for my job. I've read online of other ppl using the factory 5/16" return line with this kit with no issues, and in my case only a fraction of it will be 5/16" with most of it being 3/8". I'm trying to avoid drilling into the tank.

Headers are these. They fit will, had to grind a little off the flanges to mount to the heads. https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1hkr/overview/
Old 02-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTY9 View Post
One question, are you using a single or dual plane intake with the Sniper system?
I have the Performer RPM intake which is a dual plane (According to what I looked up).
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #22
74baggedbug

I can’t wait to install mine.. also the reason I haven’t ordered it yet..
74baggedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #23
Z10

I've used a FiTech TBI on my ZZ4 69 Camaro and really like it. The trick is to follow directions precisely and ground it well.

I went a different direction on my 72 and installed a F.I.R.S.T TPI system which now has 12k miles on it with out a hitch. This is not your fathers 89 Corvette motor. lol
Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #24
Ekliptix

Part 2: https://youtu.be/hIClWrLBrBA

Got the fuel system installed.

Removed the mechanical pump and used the included plate to cover the hole. The original bolts were too long for the plate, so I had to find some shorter bolts.

The electric fuel pump is mounted along the frame using some existing holes (lucky).

I ordered some of these off amazon.

And after a bunch of looking found this 3/8" to 1/4" step down to connect to the factory return steel line into the stock tank. From the EFI unit in the engine bay, the 3/8" rubber return hose goes down the firewall, along the frame, through 2 of the rubber retainer clamps, into the 3/8" to 1/4" step down fitting, into a new 1/4" rubber hose, into the factory 1/4" steel return hose which goes into the cab and tank.

I heat tape wrapped some of the fuel line and post pump filter just as a precaution, and it looks cool.

Also got the 3" exhaust clamps from amazon so O2 sensor is installed.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #25
jjzepplin

Nice work.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote