The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #2401
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

When I got up this morning, I sat on the edge of the bed for a long while and Kathy asked if I'd had a rough night. I had and proceeded to tell her I was ready to throw in the towel and move on. But after moping around for awhile, I called GM Powertrain again and got yet another tech. He, like the others, said they weren't supposed to help customers. After whining about the expense of this package and how it's promoted as "plug and play" it got sort of tense, but he finally said that they see this problem a lot and it's always because the user has the wrong plug in the tailshaft sender. I was surprised because the VEH SPD plug in the ECM harness was nowhere near long enough to reach the trans. But he swore that was what needed to be hooked up.

So I took a deep breath and isolated the twisted pair from the sensor going into the TCU and snipped them. Then spliced the ends coming from the tailshaft sender into the VEH SPD wires out of the ECM harness. And, by golly, that did the trick. I now have a working speedometer and more importantly, the transmission shifts thru all 4 forward gears and the speed displays on the laptop calibration software. I can now start reassembling all the stuff I had to take apart while troubleshooting. Thanks to all for bearing with me while I wandered around in the fog and for all the suggestions.

This whole thing with the GM techs reminds me of a Brit talking to an American. They're both speaking English... but not really.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #2402
Jason7121

Glad to hear you got the issue fixed Vic. Did that correct your flickering engine light as well?
Jason7121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #2403
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Glad to hear it's figured out. You have a lot more patience than I do.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #2404
Xeen

OMG I would have been madder than all hell if after all that I found out that the correct plug was too short to reach the transmission and it wasn't mentioned in the instructions, I would have went ballistic on GM and chewed so much ass they would have had to bolt on a new ass afterwords.
I'm glad someone finally helped you even if it was reluctantly.
Chin up Vic you are on the home stretch now.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #2405
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7121 View Post
Glad to hear you got the issue fixed Vic. Did that correct your flickering engine light as well?
Nope, but my buddy Mike is coming over tomorrow with the good scanner. I'm sure if there's a computer issue, it can find it. But I'm inclined to think it's noise since it seems to increase with engine speed. If the scanner comes up empty, I may try a noise filter on the circuit.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #2406
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Glad to hear it's figured out. You have a lot more patience than I do.
Lemme tell ya, I was nearing the end of my rope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
OMG I would have been madder than all hell if after all that I found out that the correct plug was too short to reach the transmission and it wasn't mentioned in the instructions...
They could have done a lot better job of explaining that part of it on the I-sheet. I guess if you've done a C&C swap like this or work with crate setups at a dealer, you'd be more likely to understand the jargon. When I run across something new, I usually wind up going WTF is that? Then googling it, only to find that ten different people refer to it in five different ways. The good news is that it's working and I can move on to other stuff. Only seven weeks to the LMC C10 show.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #2407
Aberdare

Vic:
Good to hear that you've sorted out the speedo issue without having to resort to banging heads against walls (including your own). So, the GM Tech had the audacity to actually say to you "We're not supposed to do this, but..." ?

If I had a GM Employee stating that to me... I'd be having a one-sided conversation with his manager, as the guy is packing up his desk. That kind of NEGATIVE customer Service would have me madder-than-a-hatter, well that kind of Customer Service doesn't happen if you want to keep customers... Just saying.

Once again - glad you got it sorted out!
Abe
I'm just going to put an OUT-OF-ORDER sign on my forehead... and call it a day.
Aberdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #2408
rustytruck50

Great news, Vic!! It frustrates me to no end when I'm looking for info on something like that, I know people who know technical things like that and I either get a deafening silence or get dealt the "I have the info & knowledge, but for some reason I feel like being a jerk and I'm going to dangle it in front of you, taunt you with it until you pay me exorbitantly and or you get exasperated and leave" card....I've never grasped that kind of customer service.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold

Last edited by rustytruck50; 03-12-2018 at 06:09 PM.
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #2409
swamp rat

Knowing I'd be no help at all I bit my lip on the sideline hoping this would all get sorted out, what an ordeal to say the least, Glad your getting back on track!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #2410
sduckworth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Knowing I'd be no help at all I bit my lip on the sideline hoping this would all get sorted out, what an ordeal to say the least, Glad your getting back on track!
I’m with you Mike. I’m happy you got it all figured out Vic.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #2411
Low Elco

Cue the Halleujah Chorous! Yaay Vic! Time to lay some rubber!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #2412
knomadd

That's great news, Vic! I'm glad you didn't throw in the towel. Now that it's operational, you'll likely be pleased with the end result, so hang in there. You're almost at the end of the tunnel (I was going to say done, but lets face it, they're never really "done").

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #2413
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdare View Post
... So, the GM Tech had the audacity to actually say to you "We're not supposed to do this, but..." ?
Yes they did, Abe, and not just one but all three. It's like as soon as they found out I wasn't a dealer or certified independent shop, the wall went up. They have a code you have to put into the automated phone system. If you don't have a code, you use a generic 999999 entry. So they probably know from the get go that you're on the outside looking in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
...I've never grasped that kind of customer service.
Me either, but it's very frustrating. All they had to do was to say, "There are two plugs that will fit the sensor on the tailshaft. One comes out of the TCM harness, the other is out of the ECM harness. If you have a Supermatic 4L65E, use the one from the ECM harness... not the TCM harness." It took three calls and a large helping of sarcasm to get that info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Thanks, Mike, what matters is knowing all the guys that follow this thread have my back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
I’m with you Mike. I’m happy you got it all figured out Vic.
Thanks, Scott. I may call to see if you can drop by this weekend to help put the hood on. I have a funeral to attend on Thursday, so I'll lose a day, but if the truck goes back together quickly, I could possibly be ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Cue the Halleujah Chorous! Yaay Vic! Time to lay some rubber!
You bet, Chip. It sounds like it would do so with ease. I need to get the fan control module back from Derale. It's not working so I sent it to them on Monday. They should have it tomorrow and do some forensics. Hopefully it will be back soon. Not that I think I need it as cool as it is. Even without the fans running, the temp hasn't climbed over 195.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
That's great news, Vic! I'm glad you didn't throw in the towel. Now that it's operational, you'll likely be pleased with the end result, so hang in there. You're almost at the end of the tunnel (I was going to say done, but lets face it, they're never really "done").
True that about never being done, Duane. I'm feeling pretty positive right now. Mike came over today and put the GM Tech 2 scanner on the OBDII port and all the live data and history showed no issues whatsoever. Still don't understand the flickering MIL on the dash, but it's low priority at the moment. I calibrated the speedometer today using the instant cal feature. With the C&C transmission software communicating with the TCM, I set the correct gear ratio and tire size into the calibration file. I then put the trans in 3rd gear and set the virtual speedo on 30mph. Pressed the calibration button for two seconds and voila! the Classic speedometer read the same as the virtual one. Upshifted to fourth and compared speeds at 65mph and they were the same. With the speed around 50mph, I set the cruise control and it worked like a champ. So I'm in the process if buttoning up the interior again and getting back on the punch list.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #2414
AKC

Most excellent! Glad you got it going and moving on...
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #2415
sduckworth13

Cool Vic. I’d be glad to assist anytime.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #2416
Low Elco

Man, that's great. Isn't the "going Forward" feeling good? Been fighting the same thing on the barn, and just rounded a couple corners myself. Onward!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #2417
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post
Most excellent! Glad you got it going and moving on...
Me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Cool Vic. I’d be glad to assist anytime.
I'm counting on it, Scott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Man, that's great. Isn't the "going Forward" feeling good? Been fighting the same thing on the barn, and just rounded a couple corners myself. Onward!
Building a shop out back is a big project with lots of details, Chip. I'm anxious to see it when you're fully moved in and operational. You don't really want me around any kind of building construction until it's 100% finished, though.

Quick note: When I contacted GM Powertrain several times over the last week, they sent me a survey via email. I filled it out yesterday and politely gave them an earful. This morning, shortly after 8AM, I received a call from a supervisor at the Tech Center. The purpose of the call was to reinforce that the techs did nothing wrong by telling me what they did. He again raised the "liability" issue as their rationale. I'm at a loss as to what kind of liability they might be exposed to by simply giving someone technical assistance, but that's their story and they're sticking to it. I did tell the guy that there seems to be a disconnect between their marketing and customer support. Maybe they should put in a disclaimer saying, "This stuff should work, but if it doesn't, you're on your own."
Old 03-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #2418
Xeen

Their attitude is "We have more money than you, if you don't like it sue us, we have an army of lawyers on retainer that would be more than happy to kick your ass, have a nice day." That is corporate America for you.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #2419
Aberdare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Maybe they should put in a disclaimer saying, "This stuff should work, but if it doesn't, you're on your own."
More like... "The Engineer who designed this is way to smart for us here at tech support to understand... so we want to make you feel stupid too, until you get mad and belittle us into doing our jobs."

I'm just going to put an OUT-OF-ORDER sign on my forehead... and call it a day.
Aberdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #2420
Vic1947

The Truxedo tonneau cover went on today. Fit very nicely given all the hacks to the bed. I've got an 18" spare wheel/tire on the way which I'll bolt to the floor of the bed. It may get in the way a little bit when I'm hauling sheetrock, but I figure if I carry a spare, I'll never need it.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #2421
Xeen

I'm never going to get over this whole work truck thing, it will easily win custom truck awards left and right but it's a work truck yep that's right folks a work truck.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:51 AM   #2422
rustytruck50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
The Truxedo tonneau cover went on today. Fit very nicely given all the hacks to the bed. I've got an 18" spare wheel/tire on the way which I'll bolt to the floor of the bed. It may get in the way a little bit when I'm hauling sheetrock, but I figure if I carry a spare, I'll never need it.
The tonneau cover really sets the truck off!
I keep seeing little details, like the rear bumper....subtle and eye catching all at the same time
..hauling sheetrock...you're such a kidder, right?

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
Old 03-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #2423
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I'm never going to get over this whole work truck thing, it will easily win custom truck awards left and right but it's a work truck yep that's right folks a work truck.
That's what I told the appraiser today and he chuckled when I said it. I'm going to have to post a shot of it with junk in the back one of these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
The tonneau cover really sets the truck off!
I keep seeing little details, like the rear bumper....subtle and eye catching all at the same time
..hauling sheetrock...you're such a kidder, right?
Well, believe it or not, that's what it's built for. When I need to haul something, it's all I have. Between all the race cars and my last couple of builds, I'm over having a vehicle I can't use. I promise to post photos from the road. Meanwhile, here are a few taken this evening. I have an appointment for Friday morning to get the front end aligned, the headlights aimed and a state inspection. Then it's off to the license office to renew my tags. I've ordered personalized plates that say "CRLS" so you'll know me when you see me.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #2424
Vic1947

And here's a few of the innards...
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #2425
rustytruck50

Well, I'll have a proper, cohesive response after I mop up the drool puddle!!! WOW!!!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed