The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
raymond0275

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Really nice work!!!
raymond0275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond0275 View Post
Really nice work!!!
Thanks... When will you get your thread started? Need to see some more 4 eyed '58' s and 59's. Can't wait to see more.

Last edited by dug224; 04-24-2018 at 08:09 PM.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
dug224

Back in town to begin the paint only to find that Amazon shipped a loose 1 gallon can of paint in a box with virtually no packing thru the USPS. The top to the can popped off. The USPS sacrificed a couple of plastic bins to make sure I got it. The fun part was that our neighbor, who was picking up the mail while we were gone, took it into her house!!! No leaks in her house. Fresh Amazon gallon on the way.
Name:  IMG_3919.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  64.6 KB

I ordered a 1/2" particulate filter/water trap and desiccant dryer while I was gone to try to wring out some of the moisture we have packed in our southern air. Added a drip leg and ball valve to the upstream side. For now, I'll use my vice to hold it until I can come up with a better way. I'll run the air thru the particulate filter/water trap at my compressor and 20 feet of hose before it hits my new rig. Will run a small red disposable moisture remover at the gun to trap anything that made it thru the maze. The 80 gallon 5 hp compressor managed to push the air thru all that pressure drop.
Name:  IMG_7921.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  47.0 KB
Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
dsraven

another thing you can do to help with moisture in the compressed air is to run a length of soft copper line in a spiral loop (it comes in a roll so easy) and have a drain at the bottom. larger diameter is better. just T it into the line somewhere close to the compressor and allow it to hang in a big spiral with the inlet at the top. put a hand operated drain valve at the bottom. copper conducts heat quick so run a fan on it and it will cool the air in the tube, drop out the moisture, and if you leave the drain at the bottom open slightly it will self drain as you work. I also have an auto drain on mine connected to the light switch in the shop. that way it only drains when the lights are on. it is a timed unit so it drains on a schedule (and scares the crap outta anybody standing close, haha)
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
dsraven

pex plumbing crimp rings also work pretty good for rubber hose airline connections, instead of the gear clamps. I have found the extra "tab" end on the gear clamps have an affinity for my skin and force me to buy shares in the bandaid company. I see you have yours taped over, just a thought.

for you amazon bandits, no spills either, lol. your neighbor got lucky there.

https://www.amazon.com/2-inch-Stainl.../dp/B01GU4YXA2
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
pex plumbing crimp rings also work pretty good for rubber hose airline connections, instead of the gear clamps. I have found the extra "tab" end on the gear clamps have an affinity for my skin and force me to buy shares in the bandaid company. I see you have yours taped over, just a thought.

for you amazon bandits, no spills either, lol. your neighbor got lucky there.

https://www.amazon.com/2-inch-Stainl.../dp/B01GU4YXA2
I hate using clamps as well and I have plenty of PEX fittings laying around. I'll try it.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
dug224

I managed to salvage about a pint of the Valspar Low Gloss paint from the open can. Still have not received the hardener but decided to to a HVLP pass on the back of one of the fenders anyway. Hardener is not necessary...just speeds things up. Thinned it 8:1 with lacquer thinner. Laid down nicely. Not really sure what to reduce it with. Mineral spirits cut it as well. I scotch guarded the fender rather than sanding it so all of the orange peel from the primer shows through. I'll sand the next one to better reflect what I intend to do on the exterior. I'm pretty happy with the low gloss sheen.
Name:  IMG_7923.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  44.1 KB

Note the heavy orange peel.
Name:  IMG_7926.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  42.0 KB

Couldn't pass up this all original '75 Schwinn Junior Stingray distraction....Only requires some fresh tires, surface rust removal and a cleanup so no appreciable slow down on the truck.
Name:  IMG_3922.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  54.6 KB
Old 05-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
another thing you can do to help with moisture in the compressed air is to run a length of soft copper line in a spiral loop (it comes in a roll so easy) and have a drain at the bottom. larger diameter is better. just T it into the line somewhere close to the compressor and allow it to hang in a big spiral with the inlet at the top. put a hand operated drain valve at the bottom. copper conducts heat quick so run a fan on it and it will cool the air in the tube, drop out the moisture, and if you leave the drain at the bottom open slightly it will self drain as you work. I also have an auto drain on mine connected to the light switch in the shop. that way it only drains when the lights are on. it is a timed unit so it drains on a schedule (and scares the crap outta anybody standing close, haha)
...auto timer....?? You are officially over the top. Do you guys even have moisture in the air way up there in Canada??? The coil is a good idea. Thought about a radiator/heat exchanger as well but the long hose and multiple cheap filters won out.