The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
andyh1956

Cam Break In

I am about to fire up a fresh engine & has a new Comp Cams 268H in it. I was reading the instructions & they tell me to REMOVE the inner valve springs I installed from the kit to break the cam in & then re-install them after break in. Holy Swaparama Batman!
Do any Yall do this with a new cam? I have the cam lubed up & additive in the oil & engine is pre lubed.
Thanks
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Cam Break In

Comp Cams is a great company to work with, unparalleled customer support. The one thing I have learned on this site from a select few is something Comp will not inform you of.

Their lifters are great, yet one detail is left out. Take apart the lifters prior to install and clean them in a solvent. The protective oil they put on them will attract dirt. Its just an extra step to insure they all function properly. Coat them with the proper break in oil such as their product or something formulated for Flat Tappet lifters such as Valvoline VR1. It has the proper ZDDP compounds plus, most importantly, a high film strength.

Assemble as usual and you should have no problems. The step above is just to make sure non of the lifters have any sticky spots or debris to clog up your engine.

And YES follow all of their other recommendations! I most likely will be using their products again to put together another build here in the very near future.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
andyh1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Comp Cams is a great company to work with, unparalleled customer support. The one thing I have learned on this site from a select few is something Comp will not inform you of.

Their lifters are great, yet one detail is left out. Take apart the lifters prior to install and clean them in a solvent. The protective oil they put on them will attract dirt. Its just an extra step to insure they all function properly. Coat them with the proper break in oil such as their product or something formulated for Flat Tappet lifters such as Valvoline VR1. It has the proper ZDDP compounds plus, most importantly, a high film strength.

Assemble as usual and you should have no problems. The step above is just to make sure non of the lifters have any sticky spots or debris to clog up your engine.

And YES follow all of their other recommendations! I most likely will be using their products again to put together another build here in the very near future.
So you DID remove your inner valve springs & re install them after cam break in?
Old 06-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
mattfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
I am about to fire up a fresh engine & has a new Comp Cams 268H in it. I was reading the instructions & they tell me to REMOVE the inner valve springs I installed from the kit to break the cam in & then re-install them after break in. Holy Swaparama Batman!
Do any Yall do this with a new cam? I have the cam lubed up & additive in the oil & engine is pre lubed.
Thanks
My machinist took a different approach on that one. He set me up with two sets of Crane valve locks (keys or whatever you want to call them). One set had the spring 0.050 longer than stock. The other set had the spring 0.050 shorter than stock. He instructed me to break it in with the long (tall) set and after break in to switch to the short set for full rev potential. He said it would be a pretty quick process and had a lever tool I could borrow to swap locks with the heads still on the truck. I'm in the process of assembling right now, so we'll see how that goes.

Another machinist friend said that he had a special set of rockers for break-in only with like a 1.3 ratio or something like that.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340

Last edited by mattfranklin; 06-07-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: forgot something
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Having the higher spring pressure of a dual spring could cause premature cam and/or lifter failure. Even after break in... so yes... remove the inner springs.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Its work, some times it takes time and effort to end up with something that works properly by abiding by the experts/design recommendations on "breaking in" a camshaft....if you do not follow the instructions/recommendations and you have issues, most likely they will not stand behind your mistake....
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
andyh1956

Thanks. Keep yall posted.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

With the 268H cam you should not be running dual valve springs, so removing the inner springs would not be necessary. You should be running the 981 springs. But you can always call comp's tech line to verify.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
andyh1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
With the 268H cam you should not be running dual valve springs, so removing the inner springs would not be necessary. You should be running the 981 springs. But you can always call comp's tech line to verify.
I have not provided Yall with enough information. The engine is a 302 Ford & the springs that came in the kit are inner / outer.
Sorry
I think I am gonna build me a set of adapters & run this engine on my test stand for break in & then install the inner springs before we install the engine in the car. It goes in a '69 Mustang Fastback.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
mattfranklin

Quote:
I have not provided Yall with enough information. The engine is a 302 Ford & the springs that came in the kit are inner / outer.
Sorry
I think I am gonna build me a set of adapters & run this engine on my test stand for break in & then install the inner springs before we install the engine in the car. It goes in a '69 Mustang Fastback.
Thanks
Sounds like a cool project.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #11
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Sorry
Thanks
Its not good to use the F word in this chevy forum....just sayin....
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
Its not good to use the F word in this chevy forum....just sayin....

However, since it's for a 69 Mustang he's forgiven. My brother had one and it was one hell of a vehicle. Ran like a scalded ape..
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
toolboxchev

[QUOTE=andyh1956;8276741]So you DID remove your inner valve springs & re install them after cam break in?[/QUOTE

No I did not, I wish I would have though, would have cleaned the lifters also, had I known at the time.

My top end rebuild is still running although I am in need of doing the bottom end now, so looking at a complete rebuild or crate motor.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
andyh1956

Thanks
We installed a Comp Cams Camshaft for a TPI in our TBI K5 engine yrs ago & didn't do anything different than crank it up & start driving it & it still runs fine. But as expensive as things are now I want to take every precaution available!