The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
cruizin01

If you were gonna redo/paint your entire interior gray how would you do it?

Im almost to the point in my build where I need to knock out the interior. Its a bit of a hodge podge of parts but I need to use what I have and maybe go back and change things as I see fit.

The cab is an 87 that never had trim or headliner.

I have
NOS 81-87 dash pad that needs paint
NOS 77-80 base door panels that need paint
NOS armrest that will need paint
NOS sunvisors that will need paint
NOS Silverado style cluster bezels and a/c trim

I picked up a full set of interior pillar and headliner trim that needs cleaned and painted. Im semi hesitant as the cab doesn't have any holes for any of that stuff. Maybe I should leave the truck without the trim or headliner.

I also have a seat that is totally the wrong color but has a nice cover on it. Im consider painting it with the SEM paint Im using on the rest of the panels. If the seat doesn't turn out well Ill have to recover it anyway. Eventually Id like to replace it with a newer seat.

Im trying to decide on color schemes.

Would you try and match the carpet, door trims, dash, piller, headliner, trim & seat belts all the same color?

I have to buy the carpet, headliner, seat belts yet so Im trying to decide how to match the stuff together along with picking out the SEM colors.

Im thinking since the seat is velour and vinyl I could choose a light gray and a medium gray and maybe mix up some of the different pieces.

Any thoughts?

the door panel picture is just for reference of the style. I prefer not to use any black on the inside.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: If you were gonna redo/paint your entire interior gray how would you do it?

Black would be the easiest to match. I went with Charcoal in mine. It was Maroon when I bought it, but it had to go. I thought it clashed with the Red exterior. Here's a few before & after pics.
I got samples from a lot of places. In fact I still have a lot of it. Once I got it all, it was just laying it out to see what matched the best. But I knew I wanted Charcoal.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Black would be the easiest to match. I went with Charcoal in mine. It was Maroon when I bought it, but it had to go. I thought it clashed with the Red exterior. Here's a few before & after pics.
I got samples from a lot of places. In fact I still have a lot of it. Once I got it all, it was just laying it out to see what matched the best. But I knew I wanted Charcoal.
Thanks for the response TKCR.

I remember seeing yours now but had forgotten. Do you mind sharing which carpet and floor mat you went with? I got some samples from stockinteriors but still cant make up my mind.

I should probably just do the medium gray carpet and medium gray SEM color and be done with it. I like your slightly darker mat so maybe Ill order it in dark gray.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
TKCR

The floormat was thru floormatexpress.com, but I can't ever get the website to come up any longer. It was actually a Lloyds Mat, so you should be able to go thru another vendor. And the color on that was Ebony. And the embroidery is a 60's style Chevrolet, in red.
The carpet, I ordered from Brother's Truck. But when it came, If I remember right, came in an ACC Carpet box. The color is Dark Gray.

But I had gotten samples from a lot of places. And that was samples of carpets, headliner material and paint. The material for the seat, I got samples and ordered it myself after I picked the colors.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
cruizin01

Just for reference I went ahead and ordered most all my interior parts.

I ordered new Medium Gray ACC carpet and a Dove Gray (darker) floor mat from RockAuto, along with some lower door cards.
I got some Medium gray seat belts from the seatbeltstore.
I ordered a rear ACC "wall card" from Stock Interiors in medium gray as well. (Rock Auto didn't list it)
I ordered some kick panel speaker pods from RodDoors that Ill paint with the other trim.

The only major item I didn't order yet is a headliner. RockAuto has a good price but they still want like $80 to ship it. Might see if I can find a stock one to recover. If not Ill have to bite the bullet and order one.

I just need to order my SEM paint and all the prep items.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
RUN GMC

Find a used one and have it recovered locally.....mine was done for $70 by an interior shop....matched the color perfectly for 86 Regal which is the exact same color in my 87 GMC dove gray/medium grey.......
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
TKCR

Find a headliner locally in the yards, and recover it yourself. It's easy to do. Damn if I'd known you needed a headliner, I could haven't gotten you one on one of my recent trips to the yard.
I've done a few headliners now. My own, a friends Ford truck and a Honda Civic.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 07-06-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
cruizin01

Quote:
Find a headliner locally in the yards, and recover it yourself. It's easy to do. Damn if I'd known you needed a headliner, I could haven't gotten you one on one of my recent trips to the yard.
I've done a few headliners now. My own, a friends Ford truck and a Honda Civic.
Yeah Ive seen your other post about them. Thats what made me think about recovering one. I kinda hadn't decided realized how/what I was gonna do so I never thought about looking for one. I have a little time yet so if you are out and about I would pay you for one if you see one around. Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
cruizin01

Received my carpet and door cards today. Medium Gray looks like poop. Pretty dark and has a green'ish tint to it. Definitely not what I was looking for. Strange it was off from the samples I have... So Ill return it to Rock Auto today. .

The dove gray floor mat is pretty nice so Ill probably keep it and try and find lighter carpet. ….

Always a struggle..

-Derek
Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
TKCR

Is the carpet I have in my truck close to what your looking for? I can dig out my paperwork and see what color grey it is.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 07-11-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #11
cruizin01

Quote:
Is the carpet I have in my truck close to what your looking for? I can dig out my paperwork and see what color grey it is.
Its close, its a little dark. After I made my post I think I figured out what happened. I believe with ACC carpet that the cutpile and the essex Medium Grays are not the same.

I have the "other" medium gray coming today in the rear wall piece so Ill know for sure then. It should be quite a bit lighter from the sample I have.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
billlopez

I think its the die they use. My red carpet turned orange and some spots turning yellow now.

How does rockauto handle returns? They pay the return shipping costs?
billlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlopez View Post
I think its the die they use. My red carpet turned orange and some spots turning yellow now.

How does rockauto handle returns? They pay the return shipping costs?
The cutpile medium gray rear wall piece I got today looks great. Im going to reorder my carpet and lower door pieces tonight.

I just filled out a return thing online and used their labels. The return shipping was super reasonable. $5.xx for the door pieces and like $10.xx for the carpet.. Surprisingly cheap. Unfortunately their listings are hit or miss and they don't list the correct color in the correct carpet for my truck. So I'll probably have to order from stock interiors which has a lot higher shipping. Rock Auto stinks in that they don't have anyone you can call and order stuff manually. Their loss I suppose.