The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #26
truckster

Re: Thompson power blast plate- Carb innovation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenfuzed View Post
As someone who has spent the last 3 decades in R&D, these discussions (synthetic oil, new products, better mouse traps) become tiresome and do nothing to prove or disprove the validity of a product's claim without real data to back it up. JMHO.
I agree completely, but in the absence of independent data I have to go with what logic implies. I'd love to see some independent data on this. I'm not casting aspersions on the company that makes this device, but I've seen too many products with wild claims backed up by spurious data. It makes sense that this device would smooth out the power curve by better atomization of the fuel from the accelerator pump, but beyond that I have a hard time envisioning any benefit.

Ken, as an engineer I appreciate the value of R&D, and I can honestly say that science still fascinates and amazes me - even though I understand the principles of flight, every time I watch an aircraft take off I still think it's almost magical.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:55 AM   #27
toolboxchev

Oh I agree with the EPA testing on the lighter weight oil thing. Now I get 20 percent better mileage with my new device straight from the wagon out on an old dirt road.

I am the only guy in town who knows where that wagon station is located so pm me if you wish to know his location.

Note: ( Mileage will vary depending on the quality of attorney you can afford with a lighter wallet!)
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:04 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
Might be interesting to get Lou's opinion. His board name is luckin-fou and he was on last week. He's been pretty honest about stuff like this in the past.
I suspect he'll be shull of fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenfuzed View Post
Oh perfect he's tested this item? That would be helpful as opposed to just more opinions and theories. Anything else is just stoking the "snake oil" fire even more... god I hate that term, can you tell?

As someone who has spent the last 3 decades in R&D, these discussions (synthetic oil, new products, better mouse traps) become tiresome and do nothing to prove or disprove the validity of a product's claim without real data to back it up. JMHO.
Not dissing R&D, but real life experience trumps that in the end. R&D is info leading up to actual use. Info after use is what counts for the rest of us.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #29
Kenfuzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Not dissing R&D, but real life experience trumps that in the end. R&D is info leading up to actual use. Info after use is what counts for the rest of us.
Which is why the R&D teams I've been involved with included 27 repair shops and over 300 motorcycle riders provided with beta test components for pre and post development trials. I'm sure there are product developers that only test in house and send direct to consumer immediately but that is not the case with all R&D. But I can only speak for the product research I've been involved in.

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #30
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Actually, I've seen posts where he's offered what appear to be pretty honest opinions about things on the show.

Having said that, I'm not disagreeing with others. This is probably -- as the Texans like to say -- all hat and no cattle.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
Actually, I've seen posts where he's offered what appear to be pretty honest opinions about things on the show.
It seems my pun went right over your head...or hat

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #32
jimbosprint

I am happy with the Thompson Performance Powerblast Plate. I just installed one in my '72 C20 with an Edelbrock Performer carburetor and there was an instant improvement in throttle response. Before installation there was a half second lag when you stomped on the gas pedal, and now it revs instantly and does burnouts easily. This is in a low horsepower crate 350.

As others have stated above, there is no difference in mileage or overall power as it only affects the accelerator jets.

jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #33
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I installed about a dozen of those fuel mileage improvers in my truck over the years. I'm currently stopping every 100 miles or so and selling the fuel, as my tanks keep overflowing.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
NorCalC20LWB

I also have the same setup as Jimbosprint, 72 C20 350 Edelbrock Performer, however mine is built a bit more than stock. The same carb was on the old worn out engine and it still has the slight delay off idle. The Thompson website says they are in Rancho Cordova, which is just across the American River from me. Will try this plate and report back.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #35
OregonNed

Put one in mine to eliminate the hesitation as described above.. The best performance change for me however is burning non-ethanol premium now..
Old 07-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #36
toolboxchev

If the manufacture of the carb didnt think of that why would it work so well. Lets hear more actual install use responses.

I am still on the wagon about snake oil consumption.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #37
KY_GMC

After reading through the website, here is what I took from it:

It improves hesitation - OK
There is not a device for a Quadrajet carb - OK , why? Must not need the extra atomization.

So, if you have a Quadrajet carb and it is setup and dialed in correctly for your motor, you don't need $40 worth of sheet metal plates in your carb. Just saying.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233

Last edited by KY_GMC; 07-09-2018 at 08:24 PM.
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #38
HO455
Post Whore

A retired GM engineer told me that they had a department at GM that looked into parts and additives like this one during the 70's and 80's when they struggled with emissions. The thought was that they couldn't think of everything and maybe someone would come up with a cheap idea that would save the company millions of dollars or make it easier to meet emission standards. To his knowledge they never found anything that was of any value to them. Over 20 years of testing everything they could find. None even worth 1 mpg difference in a new car. I remember that every time I'm at the parts store looking at all those items claiming to solve my problems. Most of these items only hide symptoms of other problems.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #39
Grumpy old man

It's another snake oil item . It all boils down to $ and if this thing actually made any difference Holley would have bought the technology or copied it . There's a reason the company is selling them at car shows and 1 at a time online ...
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #40
jjzepplin

Interesting. Most guys say it is snake oil, But have not tested it. The fellas that have tested it say it works. Hmm.

Last edited by jjzepplin; 07-10-2018 at 08:23 AM.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #41
jimbosprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Interesting. Most guys say it is snake oil, But have not tested it. The fellas that have tested it say it works. Hmm.
Exactly. These negative opinions are irrelevant without any real experience with the product. I was skeptical. It was cheap and worth trying. It greatly improved throttle response in my truck. I can't tell you anything else.

If I were in charge at Edelbrock, I would buy the rights to this and build it into every carburetor sold. It is absurd to assume that the product doesn't work because they haven't done so. For all we know Thompson Performance wants an unreasonable price for it.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #42
OregonNed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Exactly. These negative opinions are irrelevant without any real experience with the product. I was skeptical. It was cheap and worth trying. It greatly improved throttle response in my truck. I can't tell you anything else.

If I were in charge at Edelbrock, I would buy the rights to this and build it into every carburetor sold. It is absurd to assume that the product doesn't work because they haven't done so. For all we know Thompson Performance wants an unreasonable price for it.
My real-world experience too...
Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #43
jjzepplin

I see they have one for a Holley too. Has anyone tried that one?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #44
NorCalC20LWB

Called and spoke to them yesterday, put one on order, should be here tomorrow. The guy I spoke to on the phone said there is a lot of skepticism about their product, as is reflected in the responses here. He mentioned that ethanol does not atomize as well as gas, so maybe that is why GM did not develop something like this decades ago when gas was ethanol free. Here in Cali, where the state is actually trying to regulate cow farts to control global warming, I'm sure there is a less than zero percent chance non ethanol gas will ever be available again. So, if this $40 device helps to more efficiently burn the gas, then I'm all in, regardless of how much it costs to make the part. Wish I would have thought of it first! Sure cheaper than spending four figures on an EFI system to completely modernize the fuel system. Will report back with results after install.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #45
jjzepplin

I lived in Alameda for 30 years. I may try one for my Holley. I just need a nudge to pull the trigger. Ah heck, whats $40?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #46
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
Called and spoke to them yesterday, put one on order, should be here tomorrow. The guy I spoke to on the phone said there is a lot of skepticism about their product, as is reflected in the responses here. He mentioned that ethanol does not atomize as well as gas, so maybe that is why GM did not develop something like this decades ago when gas was ethanol free. Here in Cali, where the state is actually trying to regulate cow farts to control global warming, I'm sure there is a less than zero percent chance non ethanol gas will ever be available again. So, if this $40 device helps to more efficiently burn the gas, then I'm all in, regardless of how much it costs to make the part. Wish I would have thought of it first! Sure cheaper than spending four figures on an EFI system to completely modernize the fuel system. Will report back with results after install.
The cattle can be given a feed that reduces methane emissions. Can't make this stuff up-

https://foodtank.com/news/2017/06/se...hane-emission/

As far as the GM engineers go, I'd be willing to bet that they're on top of whatever is required for emissions and power. They did catch up late on the quality and mileage. But if you look at the way the automotive industry has cycled in the last few decades, you will see that people in the US want something big, but when gas prices rise, sales fall, and when gas prices drop, sales rise. If I could find a good alternative to get the power and mileage out of my truck, I'd do it if I could get my money's worth. I'm 65. I could do a balls-out LS install on my truck, get 13 MPG on a good day, and not see breakeven on the cost before I died...and it wouldn't be original.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #47
jimbosprint

The Powerblast Plate does not claim to do anything for mileage or emissions... it improves throttle response.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #48
NorCalC20LWB

Ok, the power blast plate showed up yesterday, one day shipping, but they're only 10 miles away or so. Install is very easy, took me prob 2 hours, but that's only because I took the opportunity to clean things up around the carb and readjust cables, linkages, etc. Could prob be done easily in less than an hour. Drum roooollllll.....there is a better throttle response from idle, no more hesitation. This is with an Edelbrock carb. Because of the better throttle response there is a definite impression of more low end power. So, for me it was a good purchase, pretty inexpensive and easy install.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #49
jjzepplin

OK then! another real world experience! Thank you for testing this. I will try one on my Holley. I ordered one for my Truck Avenger. If it improves drivability then I will be able to drive it more! I will keep you all posted. First snake oil I have bought since I was a kid. If this works then I will try that Sea Foam stuff in something next! HAHA!

Last edited by jjzepplin; 07-15-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #50
jjzepplin

I just got this and have yet to install but will soon.