The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
weim55

Do all Supers have upper and lower molding's?

I'm looking at a 71 Cheyenne Super that seems to be a very original unmolested truck. All the interior appointments check out but I've never seen a Super with no lower molding's. I looked up inside the lower bedsides, no original trim holes. Truck is all red with what looks like just one repaint, no sign of two-tone anywhere. The SPID is damaged and worn to the point it's almost completely unreadable. I can make out YE in one of the code boxes but nothing else. Are there any other codes that start with YE? Solid color Supers do exist, yes?

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Do all Supers have upper and lower molding's?

Solids Supers exist. Post that SPID and I bet we can help.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Chevyland

I have never seen a documented super that did Not have upper and lower trim
Unless it was a step side or cab and chassis motor home
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
weim55

Unfortunately the SPID is so bad you can see nothing in a picture. Can just barely make out some of the codes with a spy glass on the left column box, nothing on the right.

Truck is a long box fleet side 1/2 ton.

YE9 is the call out for a Super, yes??

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 10-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

I agree with Chevyland.
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I've heard full trim was standard on a Super. Doesn't mean none were ordered without it. There are 2-3 different codes for a Super. YE9 is the most common.

Look for a build sheet on back of or below the seat. If it's like my Super, the sheet is on back near the bottom, so I have to pull the seat first - The sheets are very fragile.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-11-2018 at 11:28 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

No Stepside or Cab & Chassis Supers with side moldings. All Fleetsides upper and lower. If any do exist they are COPOs and a rare exception

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #8
jocko

YE9 is the only RPO for a Cheyenne Super.
Wording doesn’t matter - only the three characters. Some Canadian trucks have listed the terminology for Z84 as “Cheyenne Super Truck” or some oddball thing like that - but it was indeed a Cheyenne only. If no YE9, no Cheyenne Super.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
YE9 is the only RPO for a Cheyenne Super.
Wording doesn’t matter - only the three characters. Some Canadian trucks have listed the terminology for Z84 as “Cheyenne Super Truck” or some oddball thing like that - but it was indeed a Cheyenne only. If no YE9, no Cheyenne Super.
Exercising your memory Jocko...A variance of "YE9" 12th post down: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729469

Here's a variance in description, post 36 "Cheyenne Super Spor" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=729469&page=2

Post 112 is interesting. A rare variance for "YE9" code. Has the "Super Truck" you mentioned: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=729469&page=5
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-12-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
jocko

Not trackin, Post 12 in that link is a YE9 Cheyenne Super, like all Supers. What other 2-3 RPOs are you talking about in Posts 6 and 9 above?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Not trackin, Post 12 in that link is a YE9 Cheyenne Super, like all Supers. What other 2-3 RPOs are you talking about in Posts 6 and 9 above?
Post 12: Agreed, but technically more than just "YE9". Not sure what the the additional codes mean, but they're consistent with the other RPO codes listed on the SPID. Vary on year and/or location?

Post 36: It's your post, just a variance in description.

Post 112 (I wrote 119, that's wrong): It's similar post 12, but it reads 1YE9AB instead of 1YE950.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
There are 2-3 different codes for a Super. YE9 is the most common.
I think we’re talkin past each other Tony. My comment was in reply to your statement quoted above. RPOs are three characters - YE9 is not the most common - it is the only code for a Super. The surrounding characters, if there are any, don’t have anything to do with the whether or not a truck is a Cheyenne Super, just has to contain YE9. It sounded like you were stating that there were other three character codes than YE9 that mean a truck is a Cheyenne Super.

Edit - btw, Keith wrote up a great explanation of what those extraneous characters can sometimes mean. Worth a look, I found it very interesting.

Last edited by jocko; 10-12-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I think we’re talkin past each other Tony. My comment was in reply to your statement quoted above. RPOs are three characters - YE9 is not the most common - it is the only code for a Super. The surrounding characters, if there are any, don’t have anything to do with the whether or not a truck is a Cheyenne Super, just has to contain YE9. It sounded like you were stating that there were other three character codes than YE9 that mean a truck is a Cheyenne Super.

Edit - btw, Keith wrote up a great explanation of what those extraneous characters can sometimes mean. Worth a look, I found it very interesting.
Just my ignorance of RPO characters on display Jocko. Learn something new everyday.

I can't quite reach the write-up, but I see "The additional characters are either ECL codes, which provide additional detail about the RPO, or dummy characters filling the spaces after the added codes fell into disuse." And "ECL Exception Control Letter".

That alone explains a lot.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
davischevy

To answer the original question, on YE9, Cheyenne Super trucks the upper and lower molding are not called out on the SPID, they are included in they YE9 option. Yes all SWB and LWB Cheyenne Super trucks had the upper and lower woodgrain moldings included in the option.

All supers had, headliner w/ chrome plastic trim, wood grain overlay on the dash, woodgrain door panels, 72 had stainless cover on the tailgate handle.

Pictures would help.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729469

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #15
weim55

Turns out the truck in question is NOT a real Super. Trying to find ways to read the damaged SPID found if I daub a little moisture over the type I can read some areas. VIN on SPID does not match the truck. Stunned as she was last plated in 1985 and is 100% bone stock. Someone must have had access to a complete parts vehicle and got EVERYTHING for the swap back in the day. Another tip off was the factory black mat under the carpet.

Thanks for all the replies and info!

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 10-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #16
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
Turns out the truck in question is NOT a real Super. Trying to find ways to read the damaged SPID found if I daub a little moisture over the type I can read some areas. VIN on SPID does not match the truck. Stunned as she was last plated in 1985 and is 100% bone stock. Someone must have had access to a complete parts vehicle and got EVERYTHING for the swap back in the day. Another tip off was the factory black mat under the carpet.

Steve weim55 Colorado
Does it have a headliner?

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
weim55

Yes, the headliner is there and black in color. Glove box door is black as well. That's the one thing I thought was fishy as red body and dash would have a red glove box door (?)

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #18
jocko

Quote:

Steve weim55 Colorado
What other tip offs are you referring to Steve? What made you decide it was not a Super, besides the rubber mat?

These trucks are OLD - my Super has a rubber mat because someone replaced the carpet - so you never know. Curious what your other clues were. Too bad the SPID is bogus. Just look at it as "freedom to build it how you want!"

Can you confirm your cab VIN is riveted with the correct rosette rivets? If so, what's the VIN? What was the VIN on the SPID?
If you post the SPID, even if it's unreadable, you'd be surprised what folks can do with photoshop etc. Often monkeying with the contrast and brightness yields a more readable pic. Anyway, if SPID no matchie, kind of a moot point, but still interesting.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #19
jocko

Quote:
Yes, the headliner is there and black in color. Glove box door is black as well. That's the one thing I thought was fishy as red body and dash would have a red glove box door (?)

Steve weim55 Colorado
True for everything EXCEPT a Super - a portion of Supers (not all) were indeed made with black glovebox doors, regardless of body color.
If the cab has a headliner, it is likely at LEAST a Cheyenne as a headliner is not an easy thing to add. Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super were the only ones with headliners. Got any pics of this truck?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
weim55

Once those #s didn't match I worried the truck might have a sketchy past (stolen). VIN plate is unmolested and frame VIN matches. 2nd owner registrations back to purchase in 1974. Fender emblems look original and placement is perfect compared to others on this site. Maybe Custom Deluxe emblems use the same stud holes (??)

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #21
weim55

The seat is still the original black and white houndstooth, std. Cheyennes are all vinyl, correct ? Truck is still in the widows garage. Daughter doesn't want me taking any pictures, not sure why, but have to honor her wishes until I get the truck unburied and out of there.

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 10-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #22
jocko

Ah, I understand, no worries. When you say black and white houndstooth - what color is the vinyl remainder of the seat (outside the cloth)? Black or parchment? If parchment, that's a correct Super seat cover. Supers never had black vinyl with houndstooth seat covers. Either could be had aftermarket, but only parchment vinyl with black/white houndstooth is original. Supers with a bench could only have a parchment, olive, or blue seat cover(with houndstooth insert - it was called "custom cloth"). Bucket-equipped Supers could have any of the normal vinyl colors. And you are correct - a Cheyenne would have had the all vinyl seat with scrollwork.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #23
davischevy

Quote:

Steve weim55 Colorado
My red supers both had black glove box doors.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #24
davischevy

Quote:

Steve weim55 Colorado
The headliner in a super would not be black.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #25
jocko

Quote:
Fender emblems look original and placement is perfect compared to others on this site. Maybe Custom Deluxe emblems use the same stud holes (??)
Steve weim55 Colorado
Nope - if it has a headliner, it was very likely born a Cheyenne or a Cheyenne Super. If a Custom Deluxe, someone would have had to have added the headliner.