The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Johns 66

66 C10 Lowering question

Hi All I have searched and didn't find what I was looking for so here goes.

I have basically a stock truck with the only changes are wheels and tires and added a 700R4....Currently working on a grille mod...anyways here is my question.

I would like to drop the truck a little bit...Im think a 2/4 drop. I have seen tons of videos, searched numerous threads but figured I would ask yall since there is a great wealth of knowledge on here.

What does lowering springs alone do?

What does 2in Drop spindles with stock springs do?

Drop spindles and drop springs?

Can you drop 4in in the rear without a C-notch?

I saw QA1 coilovers and rear suspension but that seems like a lot of money to drop the small amount...again just asking not being negative.

If I go with drop spindles then I have to go with disc brakes, so how do you change the rear to a 5 lug.

Any information would be greatly appreciated....John
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 66 C10 Lowering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Hi All I have searched and didn't find what I was looking for so here goes.

I have basically a stock truck with the only changes are wheels and tires and added a 700R4....Currently working on a grille mod...anyways here is my question.

I would like to drop the truck a little bit...Im think a 2/4 drop. I have seen tons of videos, searched numerous threads but figured I would ask yall since there is a great wealth of knowledge on here.

What does lowering springs alone do?

What does 2in Drop spindles with stock springs do?

Drop spindles and drop springs?

Can you drop 4in in the rear without a C-notch?

I saw QA1 coilovers and rear suspension but that seems like a lot of money to drop the small amount...again just asking not being negative.

If I go with drop spindles then I have to go with disc brakes, so how do you change the rear to a 5 lug.

Any information would be greatly appreciated....John
For such a mild drop (2/4) I would do drop springs up front & a drop spring/lowering block in the back.

2" drop springs up front won't kill travel & you can get aftermarket springs w/a decent spring rate. I would go early Classic Enterprises or Hotchkis for springs.

The drop spring/lowering block combo recommendation is because lowering blocks get you some drop w/o impacting shock travel. These trucks are compromised on the rear shock travel because of the installed/working angle. It's made worse when lowered w/springs alone.

An alternative is lowering springs (again from the 2 sources listed) & swap in a rear shock relocation kit from No Limit Engineering. It's a well thought-out kit.

Whatever you choose, buy some premium shocks & don't cheap out. AVOID marketed 'drop shocks'. You want the shock travel lengths the same as stock for the best ride quality.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
For such a mild drop (2/4) I would do drop springs up front & a drop spring/lowering block in the back.

2" drop springs up front won't kill travel & you can get aftermarket springs w/a decent spring rate. I would go early Classic Enterprises or Hotchkis for springs.

The drop spring/lowering block combo recommendation is because lowering blocks get you some drop w/o impacting shock travel. These trucks are compromised on the rear shock travel because of the installed/working angle. It's made worse when lowered w/springs alone.

An alternative is lowering springs (again from the 2 sources listed) & swap in a rear shock relocation kit from No Limit Engineering. It's a well thought-out kit.

Whatever you choose, buy some premium shocks & don't cheap out. AVOID marketed 'drop shocks'. You want the shock travel lengths the same as stock for the best ride quality.

Thanks for the info...Please excuse my ignorance in this.....So basically you are saying just buying and installing drop springs from a reputable company will lower the truck and will not drastically affect the drivability of the truck...am I correct? and I will still be able to use my truck as a truck..pulling a small trailer or my boat?

I will look at both you suggested...really appreciate the info....John
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks for the info...Please excuse my ignorance in this.....So basically you are saying just buying and installing drop springs from a reputable company will lower the truck and will not drastically affect the drivability of the truck...am I correct? and I will still be able to use my truck as a truck..pulling a small trailer or my boat?

I will look at both you suggested...really appreciate the info....John
Correct. A 2/4 drop is pretty mild so you won't have issues like more aggressive drops (> than 4"/6").
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Correct. A 2/4 drop is pretty mild so you won't have issues like more aggressive drops (> than 4"/6").
I looked on the ECC sire but did not see the lowering block you described earlier.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
I looked on the ECC sire but did not see the lowering block you described earlier.
Once upon a time I guess....

Try Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ibanner=SREPD5
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Johns 66

The more I learn the more I get confused..lol I looked at the ECE springs and contacted a vendor here and have just gotten a lil more confused....

The ECE sales rep said they are made in the US but are single rate springs. Price is about 245.00 Total
The other one that was recommended were Ride Tech with a dual rate spring....These were quoted at 435.00 Total shipped to me. Of course I was offered new shocks that are adjustable with this kit.

ECE also has a deluxe kit that comes with new Panhard bar, shock as well as springs for around 440.00

I have always been under the impression that you pay for what you get but really do not understand the difference in these different sets from two different vendors.

Anyone have a clue on these?

Thanks John
Old 11-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
PGSigns

It is in the way the springs are made. The single rate is fine for what you are looking for. The duel rate ( a little softer in the first inch or so then stiffen up) do ride good but for me the singles do fine.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #9
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
It is in the way the springs are made. The single rate is fine for what you are looking for. The duel rate ( a little softer in the first inch or so then stiffen up) do ride good but for me the singles do fine.
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy for your input....Most I will pull is my boat....Maybe...but a small trailer with my bike on it. I am trying to be smart and spend my money wisely while building this truck...I am trying to get all the mechanical stuff done before it gets painted. I appreciate your help...John