The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
saddletramp

72 Sierra Grande Help!

Afternoon Guys im trying to align my door after inner and out rocker install my outer is juet screwed in for now till i get the door where i need it ive serched the threads on this site i learned some can any one hook me hook me up with a good how to thread thats step by step i would appreciate any help with this ive walked away from it a couple of times im ready to try it again this door is putting up a good fight im determine to win this fight Thanks Guys. Saddletramp
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: 72 Sierra Grande Help!

1. Remove the door latch in the door or the latch plate on the jamb.
2. Remove the fender
3. Align the rear of the door to the parallel to the cab matching up body line height with a nice even gap.
4 ignore the door frame fit unless it touches something preventing step 3
5. The door frame is malleable, beat it whichever way needed to fit the cab opening using a length of 4x wood for padding and a huge hammer.
6. test fit fender and rocker.

If the fender fit is way off then adjust door in or out to fit fender top bottom or both. If this throws off fit at rear of door then you can bend the door to fit the rear by putting a board in the door jamb upper or lower and pushing the door against it to bend the door. Tack weld door skin to inner door to set this position.

The factory body assembly crew did the above procedures to fit the door and you will need to do some or all the bending of the parts to get a nice fit.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
Afternoon Guys. I'm trying to align my door after inner and out rocker install. My outer is just screwed in for now till I get the door where I need it. I've searched the threads on this site, I learned some. Can anyone hook me up with a good how to thread that's step by step? I would appreciate any help with this. I've walked away from it a couple of times. I'm ready to try it again. This door is putting up a good fight. I'm determine to win this fight. Thanks Guys. Saddletramp
Where are you having problems? Are you using all OEM sheet metal, a mix, or all repro? Randy did a good job explaining. The general rule is doors, then rockers, then front end.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
NewBayColony

Subscribed
72 GMC 1500 2wd short stepside 250 4sp
78 GMC 2500 4x Longstepper 292 4sp
54 6400 Chevy 5 window 4 sp 2sp vac rear end Shell oil truck/dump truck (Norman)
NewBayColony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
saddletramp

Morning Ill post some pictures tonight to show what im looking like Thanks Saddletramp
Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
saddletramp

Hi Guys here are some pictures of my door alignment so far im haveing trouble understanding what the pillar hinges and door hingnes do which way to adjust them can you guys tell me what to do now to get the gaps right Thanks For all the help great site Saddletramp
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
saddletramp

Hi guys forgot these are original door,s Thanks
Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Hi Guys here are some pictures of my door alignment so far im haveing trouble understanding what the pillar hinges and door hingnes do which way to adjust them can you guys tell me what to do now to get the gaps right Thanks For all the help great site Saddletramp

The pillar bolts allow some up and down movement with the door and also allow you to rotate the door clockwise or counter clockwise in the opening. The door hinge bolts allow some up and down movement with the door and allow you to move the door inward or outward. When working with the door side of the hinges any movement of one axis affects the opposite side of the door, which means, if you loosen the bottom bolts in the door side of the hinge and push the bottom of the door in, the top of the door will move out because it will pivot on the top hinge. The opposite is also true but to a lesser extent because the lower hinge is closer to the bottom of the door. I always align the bottom of the door first for this reason. I also don't do any door alignment until the cab is sitting on the frame with new cab bushings installed.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
saddletramp

Morning Doc This is Shawn again Thank you so much for your information you sent me awesome i get it now the way you explained it i have one more ? My cab is off the frame my plan is to weld up my rockes and cab corners then put my body filler sand spray my primers sand and the paint then mount it on my frame and continue with the rest what would you recommend i do after after what i told you my plan do i have to mount it on the frame set doors the prime and paint Thanks again for your explanation. Saddle tramp
Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
vics stuff

saddletramp ! I would not weld the parts on until you are happy with the door fit.
Vic
vics stuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Morning Doc This is Shawn again Thank you so much for your information you sent me awesome i get it now the way you explained it i have one more ? My cab is off the frame my plan is to weld up my rockes and cab corners then put my body filler sand spray my primers sand and the paint then mount it on my frame and continue with the rest what would you recommend i do after after what i told you my plan do i have to mount it on the frame set doors the prime and paint Thanks again for your explanation. Saddle tramp

When you put the cab on the frame with the new rubber bushings and tighten the mounting bolts down I guarantee you it will move and you will have to do the door alignment all over again. I would suggest mounting the cab on the frame to finish it up.....

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
saddletramp

Doc I love your 2 cents i really appreciate it im thinking would this be right Finish getting my inner rockers welded in then hang my doors so i can zip screw or just tack my outer rockers in then get it back on the frame and Finish getting my doors right with fenders on then get some body filler and paint done I value your guidance i hope im not warring you out with this Thank you Saddletramp
Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Doc I love your 2 cents i really appreciate it im thinking would this be right Finish getting my inner rockers welded in then hang my doors so i can zip screw or just tack my outer rockers in then get it back on the frame and Finish getting my doors right with fenders on then get some body filler and paint done I value your guidance i hope im not warring you out with this Thank you Saddletramp

I wouldn't do anything more until the cab is back on the frame.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #14
saddletramp

Will do Thanks again Doc