The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I miss my last three trucks ...

So my last three actually drivable on the road trucks were not garage queens or sunny day only rides. Just neat ol fun trucks. Two were multi colored everything haha. And the other was all one color, but the paint had seen better days.

I used them as, get ready for it ... Trucks! They got filthy, inside and out. While I wasn't purposefully denting and scratching them up, stuff happened. It just wasn't a big deal. My nephew bent the front bumper on my GMC and it kind of irked me, but not really a big deal. Remove bumper, straighten bracket, install new bumper.

Right now I have no running (not even close) 67-72. I do have, sorry Chevy purists, an F150 Ford, its not new, but had super low miles when I picked it up and was darn near as nice on the outside as the day it was new 20 years ago. I use it as a truck. What do I haul? Mostly Chevy truck parts haha. Today I was picking up a pair of short bedsides and because I wasn't paying good enough attention, or Im getting old and the bedsides seem heavier than they used to haha, I put a scratch on the outside of my nice shiny box.
Gahhhh!

So what should a person do when they finally get their pick up on the road. Pristine everything on the outside ... or just a nice clean look and not try to worry too much about a scratch or two?

My last three trucks and a rendering of the panel Im slowly (again) working on. Plus I have a 72 SWB K10 and a 71SWB C10 Im very close to having all the parts to put both together. The black with primer bed truck was mostly driven with a blue bed, dunno why but one day I just grabbed some cans of black primer and went to town.

EDIT: Although my two remaining pick ups have potential (don't they all?) Im really really missing the long bed. My F is sort of a king cab with the suicide style small doors and a bit shorter bed. I sure have to haul a lot of stuff with the tail gate down.
Attached Images

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291

Last edited by CG; 07-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
YBNORML

Re: I miss my last three trucks ...

I just drive my junk.
My Blazer has numerous scratches, dents and dings. Mostly as results from driving it everywhere, putting crap in it that didn’t fit and the kids jumping in and out like it’s the General Lee. I couldn’t care less, it’s getting driven and making memories. My 67’ gets worked at my construction company every time I can possibly do it.

They’re just trucks. Use em. Abuse em. And make them into what you want them to be. That’s how I’ve always done it, always will.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
Getter-Done

I vote
Just a nice clean look and not try to worry too much about a scratch or two.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I vote
Just a nice clean look and not try to worry too much about a scratch or two..
Seems like such a tough thing to do. When you end up building something from the ground up and putting all your blood sweat and tears into getting back on the road they just seem to end up too nice.

I really get the idea of people getting a really decent truck that requires just a small amount of exterior fix up and no real need to paint (I refuse to say patina haha!) but go to town making sure its really reliable

Im going to be afraid to drive my panel. Maybe when my granddaughter turns 16 Ill let her take it for a few laps and break it in haha.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
HeloCrewChief

That is why I like to stick to trucks with a bit of “Patina” I hate fussing over paint. When your green truck was on craigslist, I really wanted to buy it. Was in the middle of purchasing a house and could not justify it. That truck had a great look. Didn’t know it was yours. My 72 Blazer I’m putting together will probably be too nice for me when it’s done. It’s a project that spiraled out of control and is now at the tail end of a frame off restoration.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Seems like such a tough thing to do. When you end up building something from the ground up and putting all your blood sweat and tears into getting back on the road they just seem to end up too nice.

I really get the idea of people getting a really decent truck that requires just a small amount of exterior fix up and no real need to paint (I refuse to say patina haha!) but go to town making sure its really reliable

Im going to be afraid to drive my panel. Maybe when my granddaughter turns 16 Ill let her take it for a few laps and break it in haha.
Yes I know it is easier said than done.
I have a tractor I fixed up nice.
I never use it
It just sits there.

Good idea, your granddaughter will break it in.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloCrewChief View Post
That is why I like to stick to trucks with a bit of “Patina” I hate fussing over paint. When your green truck was on craigslist, I really wanted to buy it. Was in the middle of purchasing a house and could not justify it. That truck had a great look. Didn’t know it was yours. My 72 Blazer I’m putting together will probably be too nice for me when it’s done. It’s a project that spiraled out of control and is now at the tail end of a frame off restoration.
I actually traded a very long time friend of mine the green truck for his 62 Ford Unibody. I thought I was tired of cool working trucks and wanted a hot rod truck. He ended up selling the green truck to a fella that said he wanted to totally restore it and use it as show piece for his landscaping/garden business ... dunno if that ever happened. I did a ton of stuff to make the Unibody "mine"

I ended up giving the Unibody to one of my sons. Dad Ill keep it forever. I think it was gone within the first six months. But he did sell it to the son of the friend I got it from. He was always pissed his dad let it go lol.

My son driving off in the truck ...
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
flashed

I have a Medium Red (Orange) 72 Shorty that was frame off restored many years ago and it gets driven and used as a truck , at least it did . We just pulled the 19000 mile GM crate motor out due to oil use and plug fouling , putting a used 350 back in place soon . Truck still shines like new money but its still a truck that earns its keep . It has a hidden hitch and pulls a trailer when needed .
I also own a 72 Malibu Convertible that was my wife's car until her death that we restored just the way she wanted it . She picked the 290 HP crate motor , 700R4 overdrive , and SS suspension , white top and interior and paint color along with the wheels and tires . Her main request was that it Not be a Trailer Queen ( Her words) as she wanted to drive it . It has yet to be on a trailer , it was our vacation car and was driven to Main twice , Washington State ,down the west coast to Texas and back to Ga . It has yet to go to Florida but maybe one day when I enjoy the thought of driving it again .

No matter how nice they are , if I cant drive and enjoy them I dont want to own them . I dont want to be Owned by them .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post

You are so right when you do the ground up build. I've found I'm much happier with a good 10 footer. Mechanically solid, rust repaired with a nice single staged paint job. It gets them on the road in a reasonable amount of time and that puts a grin on my face. Once I go further then things get ridiculous with contrasting paint colors on suspension components and everything has to be blasted and coated or polished and coated. It takes decades to get them done and after that much time one hates to drive it and ruin all that hard work.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
clay68c10

Just make a decent looking driver. Nothing too pretty, but as reliable as you can make it.
I saw this picture in a kids book about trucks, and it’s something I like to keep in mind as I’m building mine.
Attached Images

05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I've liked all three of your trucks, Mark. I shoul;d say four. That Unibody was a cool batch of beans!

When we saw these trucks on the road all the time everyday we'd see one that looked especially nice, whether it be an obvious higher option truck, a less common configuration, or obviously well cared for and loved, and we would say to ourselves "Nice truck". It wasn't straight out of a magazine feature, a build on a TV program, or off the internet, but it sure looked great! That's what I'm into, like it's still the '70s and these are older trucks that are nicer than anything sold since. An old favorite.

When most first get into doing these trucks or anything else we want what we saw done all perfect. Been through all that with trucks cars and Harleys. I built some super clean ground up vehicles in the '80s and '90s. Collected trophies and all that. I always rode the Harleys because they are good weather pleasure vehicles that you stay on top of the appearance on whether it's something you built or just bought. You see everything, all parts matter, you can get to everything, and they don't sit out. I'd get the "nice bike comments, then have the black on my unshielded pipe by my boot or light key scratches by the ignition pointed out. I'd say "I ride it" and think to myself "If that's all they can find I'm doing pretty good".

You get one of these trucks all perfect and what comes next? You are afraid to mess anything up and hate the thought of having to do anything over again or pouring any more money into it. You end up with a garage queen, then you sell because it sits unused and you want it gone before anything gets messed up and it's at it's highest value. Been there done that.

I do worry about scratches. I use them for anything I want and I use them carefully. It's just plain and simple take care of what you've got, take pride, and show it your love. You aim high and you hit a bit lower. From time to time something happened and you gain a flaw. You aim low and it gets more damage than you'd care to have.

I run trucks for work, I treat them kindly, and follow simple methods to avoid damage. My '92 had 22 years of hard work and 335k on it. It still had shiny paint and rust was minor. All winter long I'd go to the car wash, using only the rinse cycle, and flush out the underneath, seams, and all drain holes, then spray the crust off the body. The water might freeze before running off the body and it still looked pretty dirty, but no salt grit to make scratches and I'd worry about getting it real clean after winter.

My '72 is getting kinda rough. Needs both outer rockers, one cab corner, and the paint is popping off the hood down to factory primer. I intend to strip the hood and paint this summer. It's white so I'll just shoot some TSC or Rustoleum white on for now. The rockers I wash out, spray rust inhibitor, and rattle can white for now to keep from spreading. They let the crap back out now! Engine leaks oil some, front seal on TH350 leaks pretty bad when I first start before kicking down, but for now I keep an eye on the levels. I'd like to pull and reseal it all because that bothers me more than anything. But it will have to be during winter because I want to drive it!

So one day I will restore it, but not worried about show quality. I have most of the parts now. I stopped doing shows, other than unjudged antique truck shows. It's show quality for that now. I'd rather park, look at all the show vehicles, and go drive it once I've had my fill. For now I am "preserving" it and using it. I will always be using it. But by the time it's restored it will have an easier life because I will have an easier life, too!

On the job
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
bhayes1

What tire size and lift did you have on the all black truck.. If you recall? That thing sits perfect for my taste.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
demian5

I would have kept the multi colored GMC.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes1 View Post
What tire size and lift did you have on the all black truck.. If you recall? That thing sits perfect for my taste.
I installed Skyjacker Softride 2.5 inch all spring lift spring. Tires are BFG 33x12.5 x 15. Wheels are 15x8.

Oldiron here on the site picked this truck up from me and he swears it has to be a higher lift. All I know is that's what I ordered and installed. He actually fixed up all my fubars and finished the truck. Really turned out great. He sold it a little while back though.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

It looks the same as mine with 4" lift. If mine looks higher consider my tires are about an inch shorter and 2" narrower, 285/75s and they are 16" not 15".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive seen a few other trucks over the years here on the board that swear they purchased 2.5 inch lifts but their trucks look to have four inch.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #17
Barnfind46

I always liked your truck of many colors!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I've liked it since it looked like this :
Attached Images

Tim

Old 07-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #19
randy500
Account Suspended

I like the truck of many colors too.
I let a friend borrow it for a couple weeks while I installed a transmission in his 2001 Silverado, he said it got comments everywhere he went in it. It was going to be painted next but with what seems to be all time high prices on short bed trucks I’m doing my 72 next instead of this one. For now it sits on the street waiting it be used....I hadn’t driven it in at least 2 months, fired right up.
Attached Images

randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote