The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #3476
Livemeyer

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
that ride is fantastic!! looking forward to seeing it at a local show. By the way, who did your exhaust ?
I see now you're in Duvall. I anticipate taking Mabel to her first show September 8, the Edmonds car show. I missed taking her to Greenwood car show June 30 by thaaaat much.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:51 AM   #3477
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
My wife want to go for a cruise, so we headed up to Everett, for Der Wienerschnitzel chili dogs. When I got back I installed the passenger side visor, and fixed the driver's side, which was sagging and "walking."
I saw your fix on that other forum. You might want to tell these guys how you did it.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-09-2019 at 04:05 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:13 AM   #3478
MiraclePieCo

Unfortunately my seat saga continues to eat up most of the summer cruising season. The seats are '67 Chevelle buckets. I had the upholsterer eliminate the plastic back and side panels because my originals were cracked and I wanted to save money. Well I decided they didn't look good without those panels so I ordered some reproductions. This requires me to remove the freshly-installed seat covers to re-attach the brackets that hold those covers on. So now I'm waiting for the panels I ordered and a hog ring kit.

Wish I'd just waited until winter to do the seats...

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-09-2019 at 04:28 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #3479
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I saw your fix on that other forum. You might want to tell these guys how you did it.
Livemeyer, I'm all ears if you do. I'm getting ready to do my sun visors. (...or maybe give me a link...)
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #3480
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Unfortunately my seat saga continues to eat up most of the summer cruising season. The seats are '67 Chevelle buckets. I had the upholsterer eliminate the plastic back and side panels because my originals were cracked and I wanted to save money. Well I decided they didn't look good without those panels so I ordered some reproductions. This requires me to remove the freshly-installed seat covers to re-attach the brackets that hold those covers on. So now I'm waiting for the panels I ordered and a hog ring kit.

Wish I'd just waited until winter to do the seats...
Just run them as they are until winter and then work on them, no sense taking your truck out of commission if you don’t have to
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #3481
bedwoodandparts

Very nice !!!
bedwoodandparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #3482
mr48chev

Lifted the back half of the extended cab donor cab off the cart to set it on my little trailer to move it around to the other side of the place until it heads into the shop.

The cat isn't in the photo but he thought it made great shade hanging there.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #3483
Livemeyer

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder. I had posted on here and on Stovebolt. I got back to share results on that forum but forgot to do it on here. Now, it's done.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #3484
evilokc

the dumbest stuff happens to the dumbest people. been driving my truck as my daily for a week. its running great and very fun to drive. pulled out of work gave it some gas and right when I hit 50mph it shut off. I coasted to a Walmart parking lot. I knew immediately it was spark. checked my fuse block. all good. opened the hood and removed the breather so I could see. everything looked good. I pushed on the plugs on the distributor to make sure they hadn't come loose and the whole distributor cap lifted. one of the 3 clips that hold it had come loose. I guess when I put the cap back on last week I didn't get one of the clips seated and it vibrated off. it was an easy fix. the interesting part is when I was working on the truck people kept coming and asking if they could help. lots of people and when I said no thanks that I had it they didn't leave. a crowd of about 15 people gathered and when the death rattle fired they all cheered. I felt like I was on one of the stupid car shows where they do a reveal. ordered the last pieces of my a/c and hop to be knee/elbow deep in a/c this weekend.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 AM   #3485
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
a crowd of about 15 people gathered and when the death rattle fired they all cheered.
How fun!
Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 AM   #3486
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Got the drivers fender on!
I love that color!
Old 07-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #3487
idbeast

Quote:
I love that color!
Thanks!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #3488
mick53

Received my OEM left rear fender today for $240 delivered and sent spindles off to my engineer in Tennessee to have them altered to except my 12.88" Wilwood 6 piston brakes. The front axle drama has been going on for nearly 2 years. It's the old "they don't make that" thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by mick53; 07-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #3489
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Received my OEM left rear fender today for $240 delivered and sent spindles off to my engineer in Tennessee to have them altered to except my 12.88" Wilwood 6 piston brakes. The front axle drama has been going on for nearly 2 years. It's the old "they don't make that" thing.
That looks like one fine fender. I've spent about 20 hours apiece bringing my rear ones back from the dead. I would have paid the $240 in a heartbeat (if the wife woulda let me...).
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #3490
Livemeyer

Today, with the help of my smart son (this is a father-son project anyway) I figured out my horn relay issue which had started with me being a doofus and screwing it up in the first place.

A while back, I purchased a classic horn relay, mounted it on the firewall, ran a 12+ to the B terminal, connected the wire going to the horn to the H terminal, and ran a wire from the S terminal to a switch in the cab (no wire to the steering wheel horn button, so this is a temporary next best option) and ran a wire from chassis ground to the other side of the switch. After much consternation, I had left it wired with the two horn wires (H and S) on the same terminal, as it was the only way it would make the horn sound. I thought, I must have fried something on the relay, so I'll leave it this way for now (big clue here, folks...)

Couple days ago I got a box with some stuff from Advance Auto, one of which was a new BWD horn relay. Swapped out the two relays and... nothing. Still behaves the same way. I was so focused on this relay, until my son came out to have a look (he's 18, just graduated HS). I said, here, look, when I pull the switch I hear the relay click but no horn sound. He has his head in the cab, and he hears the click. So he goes out to the firewall and says to do it again. He says he doesn't hear the relay click outside, just in the cab.

Suddenly, the light bulb goes on! Aha! I had him look/feel around under the dash and we find that the clicking noise is coming from the fuse box. Now, keep in mind this is an entirely new wiring kit I had just recently installed. I didn't realize that tucked between the hazard flasher and the turn signal flasher was - tada! - a horn relay!

I had installed a horn relay in-line between the horn relay and the horn, without even knowing! LOL! No wonder it worked when the S wire and the H wire were on the same post! So now... the horn relay that I had installed has been removed. The 12v+ hot lead has been removed. The original horn wire lead I had cut to wire into the horn relay has been butted back together, and the horn lives.

Sometimes you gotta get a second person looking at it from a fresh perspective...
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 AM   #3491
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
That looks like one fine fender. I've spent about 20 hours apiece bringing my rear ones back from the dead. I would have paid the $240 in a heartbeat (if the wife woulda let me...).
It was on ebay auction for $150 or buy it now for $200. I first bid the $150 and 10 minutes went back and bought it. I would have been mad at myself if I lost it for $50. I have no wife.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #3492
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Today, with the help of my smart son (this is a father-son project anyway) I figured out my horn relay issue which had started with me being a doofus and screwing it up in the first place.

A while back, I purchased a classic horn relay, mounted it on the firewall, ran a 12+ to the B terminal, connected the wire going to the horn to the H terminal, and ran a wire from the S terminal to a switch in the cab (no wire to the steering wheel horn button, so this is a temporary next best option) and ran a wire from chassis ground to the other side of the switch. After much consternation, I had left it wired with the two horn wires (H and S) on the same terminal, as it was the only way it would make the horn sound. I thought, I must have fried something on the relay, so I'll leave it this way for now (big clue here, folks...)

Couple days ago I got a box with some stuff from Advance Auto, one of which was a new BWD horn relay. Swapped out the two relays and... nothing. Still behaves the same way. I was so focused on this relay, until my son came out to have a look (he's 18, just graduated HS). I said, here, look, when I pull the switch I hear the relay click but no horn sound. He has his head in the cab, and he hears the click. So he goes out to the firewall and says to do it again. He says he doesn't hear the relay click outside, just in the cab.

Suddenly, the light bulb goes on! Aha! I had him look/feel around under the dash and we find that the clicking noise is coming from the fuse box. Now, keep in mind this is an entirely new wiring kit I had just recently installed. I didn't realize that tucked between the hazard flasher and the turn signal flasher was - tada! - a horn relay!

I had installed a horn relay in-line between the horn relay and the horn, without even knowing! LOL! No wonder it worked when the S wire and the H wire were on the same post! So now... the horn relay that I had installed has been removed. The 12v+ hot lead has been removed. The original horn wire lead I had cut to wire into the horn relay has been butted back together, and the horn lives.

Sometimes you gotta get a second person looking at it from a fresh perspective...
That's hilarious!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #3493
evilokc

got the a/c condenser kit in yesterday. I pulled the passenger fender off to give myself some easier access. looking the directions I may have to do a tiny bit of fabrication. my core support is a "custom" fabricated piece of crap. so the hard lines wont route like vintage air says. should be fine though. im also going to cover a couple pf holes in the firewall and tidy up while I have easy access.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #3494
DransportGarage

After much body work and humidity, got some lower humidity (below 70%) this morning and shot round 2 of the 2K urethane primer on the rear fenders, bed sides and bed front. Sand again tomorrow with 180 grit!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #3495
Livemeyer

Quote:
That's hilarious!
Only disappointing part is Advance Auto says they don't allow returns on electronic items. So now I have two horn relays that I don't need.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #3496
DransportGarage

Quote:
Only disappointing part is Advance Auto says they don't allow returns on electronic items. So now I have two horn relays that I don't need.
That's true for nearly all (if not all) parts stores on electrical stuff. That said, I took a bottle of R134 back 3 months ago and the counter guy said they didn't take THAT back. I went to their website and it was not listed, so I phoned around their corporate offices until I got the regional manager involved. Long story short, they do take those back, and they did take it back.

If I had not been out of town visiting when I bought that R134 - being driven around by my friend - I would not have bought at Advance, but I did. Here's why I avoid them: I had had a couple of dust-ups with them about 3 years ago - always a "gotcha", it seemed, on returns. The last straw was when I bought a handful of radiator hoses, trying to make something work. I forgot my receipt when I went to take the unused ones back, and they had labels with bar codes. The GUY WHO SOLD THEM TO ME - AND REMEMBERED ME - wouldn't take them back without a receipt.

I now go to Autozone, then O'reilly's, then...

Last edited by DransportGarage; 07-12-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #3497
mick53

Quote:
Always nice to have around. I don't know what size they are but I think they are a good option for a lot of circuits.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #3498
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Always nice to have around. I don't know what size they are but I think they are a good option for a lot of circuits.
I had been thinking about that. When I wired my truck I didn't put a relay in for the headlights. Headlights I got are halogen with LED built in. For some reason I thought they were completely LED and thus not pulling that much power. Maybe I should, *could* use these as headlamp relays?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #3499
Marty68

I got the missing parts for the radiator cover.. I sanded them and painted them this morning... not the best product or even acceptable. But 100% better ... for now. 7

I also built a "tap tower" for my tailgating cooler..
Attached Images

Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 PM   #3500
DransportGarage

Got one rear fender ready for final primer. Slow progress...