The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Ryan's 57 pickup project

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPartridge View Post
Future plans:

-Restore the cracks in the steering wheel and paint it.
Easy to do. Several threads on doing that here including early pics in m,y build thread. V notch the cracks with a Dremel or hand file, fill with JB Weld (in my case), Eastwood also makes a kit for this.

Quote:
-Rig up some speakers and some type of stereo system that's clean and hidden.
I used this:
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/secretaudio-sst.html

But if I had it to do over I'd use this instead:
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...t-trucks-radio

- It's so much more in keeping with the look of our trucks. Yours especially because of its style - which I love.

Quote:
-Replace bed wood
Personally, I'd do a truck like yours with pine but most; including me, use oak. There are places online that give you the dimensions to cut your own wood:

https://gmcpauls.com/47-72_BedWood_Info.htm

Quote:
-Replace the shifter stick with something taller.
I'd dispense with all the jury rigged suggestions and just get a tall Lokar shifter.

Quote:
-Replace smoothie wheels with a stock looking steelie and paint either black or cream
I LOVE the smoothies and baby moons on your truck. But it is YOUR truck so if you do change them may I suggest either cream or body color red with factory '55 Chevy truck caps OR '51-'52 car caps? And add narrow ribbed beauty rings. Such a classic look one our trucks. BLwck (to me) just kills the vibe on our trucks....unless the truck is black.

Quote:
-Paint?
If I had it to do over I'd leave mine in the Rustoleum Satin Sage Green I had it in. Why? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my red paint, BUT now I can't drive it out to dinner for example and just park it anywhere. For one thing they're too damn easy to steal and if it got a door ding I'd have a conniption. When it was in Rustoleum it never got dinged and if someting showed badly, I'd just give it a light scuff and repaint a fender or whatever. Your truck is a classic just as it sits. I REALLY like it!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #2
RyanPartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Easy to do. Several threads on doing that here including early pics in m,y build thread. V notch the cracks with a Dremel or hand file, fill with JB Weld (in my case), Eastwood also makes a kit for this.

I used this:
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/secretaudio-sst.html

But if I had it to do over I'd use this instead:
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...t-trucks-radio

- It's so much more in keeping with the look of our trucks. Yours especially because of its style - which I love.

Personally, I'd do a truck like yours with pine but most; including me, use oak. There are places online that give you the dimensions to cut your own wood:

https://gmcpauls.com/47-72_BedWood_Info.htm

I'd dispense with all the jury rigged suggestions and just get a tall Lokar shifter.

I LOVE the smoothies and baby moons on your truck. But it is YOUR truck so if you do change them may I suggest either cream or body color red with factory '55 Chevy truck caps OR '51-'52 car caps? And add narrow ribbed beauty rings. Such a classic look one our trucks. BLwck (to me) just kills the vibe on our trucks....unless the truck is black.

If I had it to do over I'd leave mine in the Rustoleum Satin Sage Green I had it in. Why? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my red paint, BUT now I can't drive it out to dinner for example and just park it anywhere. For one thing they're too damn easy to steal and if it got a door ding I'd have a conniption. When it was in Rustoleum it never got dinged and if someting showed badly, I'd just give it a light scuff and repaint a fender or whatever. Your truck is a classic just as it sits. I REALLY like it!
Thanks for all the tips!

Definitely planning on the JB Weld steering wheel repair.
I'll look into those stereo options. I was thinking either hide a box I can plug a headphone jack into an ipod or phone or something. Maybe run an original AM radio in the stock location?
I haven't decided on bed wood yet but I just found that link to the spec measurements last night. A friend of mine does killer wood work and offered to help with it when I'm ready.
I'm leaning towards cream painted steelies with chrome baby moons. I do like the look of black steelies with chrome baby moons or stock hubcaps. I dig beauty rings too! I'm gonna need more time to decide on that one...
It is nice having a less-than-perfect paint job. I'm in no rush for anything nice on the paint.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #3
RyanPartridge

Here’s a couple photoshops of different color wheels one of the fellas on the H.A.M.B. did for me...
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
RyanPartridge

These little sweethearts just arrived...
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
57tailgater

Quote:
Here’s a couple photoshops of different color wheels one of the fellas on the H.A.M.B. did for me...
I like the white wheels. The color goes with your grille and bumpers and looks old school.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
RyanPartridge

I was planning to have the truck at the muffler shop today, but my brake lights stopped working. Ordered a brake light switch, hoping it solves my issue. I’ve got the old one out, new one is being delivered today.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
RyanPartridge

Busy couple weeks...

Found out my brake light switch didn't go bad, it just stopped working once I unplugged and removed the repop turn signal lever that the previous owner installed that never worked since I've owned the truck.
I plugged the turn signal wires back in and not only did I get my brake lights back...the turn signals suddenly worked...for about 4 days. Turn signals don't want to work anymore. Ugh.

I did get my truck over to Advance Muffler in Long Beach, which has been there since 1949. Darren set me up with new 2" dual pipes and my Porter mufflers are in. Nice mellow tone. Not too loud. I'm mostly surprised how much punchier the truck feels. Performance upgrade for sure. Maybe I was lacking some back pressure with the larger pipes and Cherry Bombs the truck came with for this little 283...

I also got a carb issue worked out with the help of Bob at RPM Carburetor Specialties who is truly a master of his craft. Highly recommend him!

Truck is running smoother and faster than it ever has. Super happy with the latest upgrades!

Just need to decide on wheels and get started on upholstery...
Attached Images