The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
msg

Help with shocks on a 66 needed

I bought some Belltech shocks after talking with the tech guy I told him I had a stock-non lowered c10 and wanted to get a front a rear shock set. So he said this was the right set I needed

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-OE9673

But there a few things Im unsure about on the front. Is the top portion too wide in diameter? Seems like it will bind.

The other issue is that there were some weld blobs on the frame that I dont understand. I was planning on grinding these off and maybe having to return this set of shocks. Just wondered if anyone else ran into this before.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Help with shocks on a 66 needed

I have these on my 66. The weld blob can go. The place where it is touching the frame will have some room once the shock is bolted at the bottom and the weight is on it. The do ride good.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
Android04

I have these on my 65 and they sit just like that with no issues up front.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
msg

What concerns me is its not even tightened yet and its already making contact. Its bolted in at the lower control arm in that pic too. With the full weight Im having trouble seeing how it will pull away from the edge of the frame. Do both of yours show any contact at all or wear on the frame from friction? Does the bushing at the top look like its distorted at all? I was going to call Belltech soon and see if they have a bolt at the top that can be shimmed out a bit with washers or a spacer and still have enough length to get the nut fully on the bolt on the inner frame. I'll grind off the blob for now. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
diver

211 what a rip off on price..try ebay and cross the numbers for other ones .i have a 66,that i have own over 50 yrs. i am looking for shocks now for my 66 k10 monroe at summit 80 plus each put number in and crossed them and got them 20 free ship. shopping pays off good luck.
diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver View Post
211 what a rip off on price..try ebay and cross the numbers for other ones .i have a 66,that i have own over 50 yrs. i am looking for shocks now for my 66 k10 monroe at summit 80 plus each put number in and crossed them and got them 20 free ship. shopping pays off good luck.
So you found a better price than $211 for the Belltech kit in that link, that has front and rear as a kit? Thats what the link is selling.
Or are you buying Monroes?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
SCOTI

The 'weld' on the frame is possibly a repair. I would inspect the inside & outside to verify.
The upper 'housing' difference on the old vs new shocks is just how they're manufactured now (using a single standardized tube/housing). A washer between the frame & shock stud would likely move it out enough that no contact is made.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
msg

One of the old shocks had some weld blobbing going on, I think it was not so much a repair but insurance against slippage against the frame? I ground off the blob on the frame and tried 2 washers and snugged it up and the threads go just to the edge of the nut on the inside of the frame. The gap is now showing, so with weight I guess the gap would increase? I might not need 2 once the engine is in and the load is on the front.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
One of the old shocks had some weld blobbing going on, I think it was not so much a repair but insurance against slippage against the frame? I ground off the blob on the frame and tried 2 washers and snugged it up and the threads go just to the edge of the nut on the inside of the frame. The gap is now showing, so with weight I guess the gap would increase? I might not need 2 once the engine is in and the load is on the front.
Also common.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
PGSigns

Mine touched before I set it down with the weight on it. The arc of the lower control arm pulls the lower out a good bit. Diver when you buy good shocks you have to pay a bit more. I have had the cheap shocks on trucks and you can tell the difference. First set on my 66 were the KYB's everyone sells. The were poorly suited and worn out in 15,000 miles. I have had these on my 66 for about 40,000 miles and they still feel good.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote