The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
jeffahart

As Veterans Day nears

As Veterans Day nears, I give thanks that I am free. Thanks to all the boys and girls… out there somewhere... for us.

God Bless
Pro Patria

j
Old 11-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: As Veterans Day nears

2nd the above...thanks to all who served..!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
Shorty Cox

I too would like to say thanks to the Veterans for their service. I would also say thanks to the many soldiers who served this Country and do not “qualify” (I use qualify for lack of a better term) as “Veteran” and do not have a day set aside to thank them.

The misconception the general public has is that all that ever served are automatically veterans. Which is not true. Over 51% of our Nation’s first line defense force is made up of the Reserve and National Guard soldiers, many of which can/and do serve their enlistment and not achieve the status as Veteran.

To “qualify” as a “Veteran” one must serve 180 consecutive days on active duty. Historically, Reserve and National Guard soldiers would serve their 6-year enlistment and never serve 180 consecutive days on active duty thus never becoming a “Veteran”. There are thousands of these former soldiers out there that served their country honorably and deserve a thank you.

Thanks to all that served.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I too would like to say thanks to the Veterans for their service. I would also say thanks to the many soldiers who served this Country and do not “qualify” (I use qualify for lack of a better term) as “Veteran” and do not have a day set aside to thank them.

The misconception the general public has is that all that ever served are automatically veterans. Which is not true. Over 51% of our Nation’s first line defense force is made up of the Reserve and National Guard soldiers, many of which can/and do serve their enlistment and not achieve the status as Veteran.

To “qualify” as a “Veteran” one must serve 180 consecutive days on active duty. Historically, Reserve and National Guard soldiers would serve their 6-year enlistment and never serve 180 consecutive days on active duty thus never becoming a “Veteran”. There are thousands of these former soldiers out there that served their country honorably and deserve a thank you.

Shorty
I'll agree about the thanks to those who served.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 11-09-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I too would like to acknowledge all of our Service Men and Women, past, present, and future. I was deferred because of my hearing loss, but I have a lot of family members who served, including my Son and oldest Daughter. My Son is still in the National Guard but he is lucky in that he enlisted in the Army right after he graduated from high school so he earned his Veteran status from that. After being honorably discharged and working in the private sector for 16 years he joined the Guard and has served two tours, one in Afganistan, and more recently one in Kuwait. He also works for the Army at Camp Dodge.

Thanks to Dan, Lori, and all of the other men and women who keep this country we call HOME safe and free.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Yes, I have always considered Veterans Day as a day to show appreciation to "all" who have served. Can't thank them enough. That's why I never say anything on Memorial Day when I see people showing appreciation for "those who have served" and not just "those who gave their life serving", which is the intent of that special day.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:

Shorty
Thank you Shorty. I was one who served and didn’t know all this until you spoke of this in an older thread.
My grandpa loved and respected the military and was the reason I enlisted.

Thanks to all who have served and those who support the folks in the military.
Esprit de Corps
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Thanks to all that have served our country . I had two brothers who was in the the Korian War and a brother in Law in World War 11 ,, his ship was sunk ,,he made it home and as my two brothers did also.. As for me ,, I did not pass the physical when going up for draft.
Like most folks I lost relatives and friends in the Vietnam War .. God bless them all for the life they gave up for all of back home in the USA.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Thanks to all that have served!!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
cornerstone

Where I attend church, when Veterans Day rolls around each year, we ask them to stand up to be recognized and honor them with a round of applause. In addition, some of the ladies hold an annual dinner and ceremony for the vets also. With only 80 total congregants, nearly 1/4 of them are veterans. These are the ones who truly know what freedom looks like, and the entire country lives in the fruits of veterans labor and very often the ultimate sacrifice.

I realize I’m preacing to the choir here, but here goes. It’s only when you have to fight for something when you will see the value of it. I hope and pray that liberty will not be tossed aside because of political correctness making people afraid to stand up for it. It’s very easily given away but always bloodshed to get it back.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 11-09-2019 at 11:18 AM.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
yuccales

In our own little way, we thank them 24/7/365.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

At exactly 11:11 a.m. every Veterans Day (Nov 11), the sun aligns perfectly with the Anthem Veterans Memorial in Arizona to shine through the ellipses of the five marbled pillars representing each branch of the Armed Forces, illuminating the Great Seal of the United States.

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #13
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
At exactly 11:11 a.m. every Veterans Day (Nov 11), the sun aligns perfectly with the Anthem Veterans Memorial in Arizona to shine through the ellipses of the five marbled pillars representing each branch of the Armed Forces, illuminating the Great Seal of the United States.

Wow. Great picture, thanks for sharing!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #14
truckster

Quote:

Shorty
There are different veteran benefits depending on service status and time. For instance, after 6 years of service members of the National Guard are eligible for VA loans.

But regardless of legal status, all military members current or former are honored on Veterans Day.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
Killer Bee

Happy Veterans Day!

my daughters kindergarten class made this for us

Old 11-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #16
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Thanks to all that have served!!!
Couldn't have said it better myself...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #17
truckster

My JROTC color guard presented the colors at a local senior center's Veterans Day program today. Afterward the cadets got to sit and eat lunch with some of the veterans. What a great opportunity!